Sign in to follow this  
tgo

DL Raekwon Davis, Alabama - 2nd/3rd Rounder

Seems like a good option in the third round to be a 5 technique, if our first round pick is a corner or another position. 

I know a lot of people won’t like this idea, @AussieTitanFan08 isn’t a fan I know.

This is a run stopper who was designed to play 5 technique in terms of body type. 6’7, 315. Huge wingspan and can cover multiple gaps in the run game. 

Not an explosive player, but does have pass rush upside and is a plug and play run down two-gapper. I’ve seen the argument by a few people that he is not as dominant as he should be with his size. 

Often, the issue with run defenders is that they don’t have the upside to be good pass rushers, but I think with Davis he does have some upside there and it needs to be developed and refined. He certainly has the build and talent. 

Obviously good NFL pedigree from Alabama and has experience with two gapping in an old school defense. I think he could be a plug and play early down starter in our defense and with development could play 3rd downs a lot after a year or two. 

Having this guy, Da’Quan, Simmons would be a huge, strong, fearsome group to keep our small speed rush OLBs free. 

I think this is a very high ceiling player, but also has a relatively high floor in our scheme. My two concerns are that early on he had some maturity issues (but I don’t think that is still an issue), and he seemed to get worn out by the end of games, so maybe he needs some real NFL conditioning work. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/raekwon-davis/ZKPHYu7snD

Thoughts, criticisms, whatever - fire away. 

6760BD5F-53E3-42D7-9739-7ED2AA457E94.jpeg

Edited by tgo

Definitely not a fan, only 1yr of good production at Alabama, fell away significantly this year when there wasn't other dominant IDL players around him like there had been in previous years, for a guy of his physical stature he just doesn't dominate like he should.

Just think there is far better uses of a day 2 pick in this draft.

3 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Definitely not a fan, only 1yr of good production at Alabama, fell away significantly this year when there wasn't other dominant IDL players around him like there had been in previous years, for a guy of his physical stature he just doesn't dominate like he should.

Just think there is far better uses of a day 2 pick in this draft.

What DL do you like to start at 5 tech for us Aussie? 

Longer two gapping types. I’ve been researching some DL and not many stand out for this role, so genuinely interested in your take because I know I must be overlooking some guys. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

What DL do you like to start at 5 tech for us Aussie? 

Longer two gapping types. I’ve been researching some DL and not many stand out for this role, so genuinely interested in your take because I know I must be overlooking some guys. 

I think we will see a veteran IDL signed post draft.

In terms of the draft there is certainly a lack of traditional pure longer 5 tech type guys which is why I think you might be trying to force a pick here, there seems to be more 3 tech or NT type prospects this year.

I'm not a fan for reaching for guys purely to fit a perceived need.

Just now, AussieTitanFan08 said:

@tgoWhat about adding 10-15lbs on Epenesa and moving him inside?

Yeah I’ve thought about this - I guess it’s not totally outside the realm of possibility, but to me I’d like to see a 320 pounder in that spot. 

He does have heavy hands and is strong as hell though, but not sure about his anchor inside. 

Hadn’t seen that but love this from their mock:

“Davis’s floor is that of a dominant run defender who can contribute at multiple spots on the line.”

“Davis boasts rare length, Paul Bunyan strength, and pocket-pushing talent; he’ll be an impact defender against the run from day one and boasts intriguing pass-rush upside.”

I actually don’t think he makes it to our 3rd round pick. Probably would need to take him in the 2nd. 

Edited by tgo

The obvious comparison a person would make on his behalf would be Buckner and early on at Bama he seemed like he would be that kind of player but he stalled out last season. With no Quinnen Williams getting the double team every time his production went down even though he stayed to have a big year. 

Might be better as a DT in a 4-3 so possible comparison could be Kevin Williams or Richard Seymour who were both better prospects clearly.

His cone time was absolutely terrible(7.95) and his 40 time medicore. 

3rd rd ok. 

I’d still like to see them bring in Timmy Jernigan ....when healthy he has starter potential and at worst would be a replacement for Johnson. Kinda surprised he’s still available.