So Why Jon?

SuperTitanic

16 hours ago, kyle021 said:

If you want to get really technical you can say we got Tannehill for 3 years and 47 million and a 4th rounder. 

that would include the compensation we gave up for him last year and the 2 million we paid him plus the first two years of his extension that are guaranteed. 

I may have next years cap hit less than his actual. 

so I’m the grand scheme of things his salary overall from the day he walked in the building and through the next two years is quite impressive. 

Look Kyle, I hate arguing with fellow fans about these ridiculous moves but bottom line is each and every time we come off franchise contention seasons we always seem to lose core players and locker room leaders more so than other NFL teams and suffer for it for the following years to come.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here kids, the "short-bus-version."   How can you expect to get back to the conference championship with this lineup (especially if the injury bug attacks)?   Tannehill           

Everyone remember this guy thought we should have signed Tom Brady and then franchised Mariota. 

Posted Images

OP has been in quarantine way to long, he’s become delusional. 

I still don’t like losing Casey. I don’t think it would have bothered me as much if it was a higher pick. 

Ok... I guess I'll bite.

18 hours ago, SuperTitanic said:

Should've franchised Tannehill and simply signed Henry for four years.

Non exclusive tagging gives players the option to increase their value while negotiating with other teams (which is basically what the original team is wanting to see).

A one year quarterback franchise salary tops out at $19.9, but gives back two first round draft picks had the Titans not matched the offer made. Transition tag saves a couple million down to $17.6 but without first round compensation for losing the player (not matching the offer).

Tagging Tannehill sounds great... if we'd actually gotten back 2 first round picks. Jonboy has linked two or three times to the fact that this hasn't happened except for maybe 1 or 2 times in NFL history. I'd like you to show me which team was going to give the Titans 2 1sts for Tannehill.

Meanwhile, you sign Henry long-term, which is still doable btw, but then you've structured the team's flexibility around a RB. Henry is great, but he plays a position that is notoriously rough on ones who play it. In his first season as full time starter he tweaked his hamstring down the stretch and had to miss a game. Yes, he rebounded with an unprecedented run into the playoffs but that run eventually ended. He's still young (from a football pov), but for how long? How much could he have possibly shortened his career by playing on that busted hammy? Eddie George was a tank... until the turf toe monster reached up and tweaked him in Baltimore in 2000. He went on to finish the season with career highs in attempts, yards, and touchdowns, but he was never really that guy again.

What if Tannehill got picked up by another team, we sign Henry to a long-term deal and he goes the way of EG, and we're sitting here with a half-busted RB and a gaping hole ? at QB... in the middle of a world-wide pandemic, no less (not that this could have been planned for). I suppose we could have gone ahead and signed Brady for $30M but it's very possible that the Brady we'd have gotten/the Brady the Bucs are getting would really have needed Henry to be the Henry we had down the stretch in 2019.

The franchise tag rarely results in serious contract talks, much less offer sheets, but at least lets the player know how much he's wanted.

I'd argue signing Tannehill to an extension showed him more how much he was wanted.

Henry could've been signed for almost the same deal as Chris Johnson years ago. Let's call it $53.5 Million: $9.68 2020 $15.5 2021 $13.8 2022 $15.8 2023 (all counted against cap).

And we saw how well that worked out. Also, see my points above.^

Of all players (regardless of the eight to ten game stretch) Ryan Tannehill was the perfect poster boy for a one year franchise or transition term.

Henry, was the long term priority.

If you're focusing on the player and all the hype/emotion that went with his 2019 season? Yes. If you're focusing on the history of the position, how hit or miss 2nd big time contracts for RBs are, and how a big deal might impact the future? Not so much.

Without Henry, Mike Vrabel and Jon Robinson win six games, maybe.  And hate Mariota for all the wrong reasons just to hate, what a perfect situation it could've been having the best backup in the league (just in case) for a such a reasonable amount.

Yeah... Mariota wasn't coming back here even if the Titans had wanted him to. That's the problem with these fantasy scenarios... they rarely take into consideration the desire of the player that's being looked at as merely a cog in the overall plan.

I wanted Mariota to work out as much as anyone, and there really are some joke ass hot takes about him that rests on bullshit revisionist history and strange biases, but dude's gone. The moment his butt hit the bench for Tannehill he was gon be gone. I still believe he's got the talent and drive to be a great player in the league, but sometimes greatness doesn't happen on a guy's first stop. It didn't happen for Drew Brees. Mariota had a lot of shitty luck here with various injuries and incompetence of the organization that drafted him.

FWIW, the organization that drafted him is not the current organization. If this version of the Titans front office were to have drafted him in 2015 things would have turned out a lot differently for him here, imo.

Conklin, Ryan, Casey, Walker, Woodyard, and Sharpe, all solid enough, locker room leaders and veteran players who have all contributed to the turn out of the dark ages under Ken Whisenhunt and Ruston Webster. Losing all of them is beyond stupid coming off an unexpected, championship run, but keeping the best two would've been the more intelligent and sensible decision.

Conklin was somewhat of a liability that can be replaced. Ryan is an aging corner who they may still bring back. Casey is a declining talent and probably wasn't worth how much we were going to have to pay him and someone who we've already drafted a replacement for. Walker? That guy's toast. Woodyard? Lol. Sharpe? LOL

None of those guys are irreplaceable and you just can't keep the band together for the sake of keeping the band together.

Who are you protecting to sign in the future?

An unproven Corey Davis? Jonnu Smith ( and very much like the guy but not quiet there yet) ? Jayon Brown ? Even Landry and Evans are solid enough but dime a dozen in this day and age of NFL caliber backer.  Adoree Jackson is undersized and overrated. And Butler and Humphries were overreaching buys just like Dion Lewis was.

Jayon Brown is still coming into his own, and Landry and Evans probably have barely scratched the surface. Corey Davis is playing for a 2nd contract from someone this year. He's either going to get it from us or from someone else, but either way he's motivated. Jonnu Smith is a ?, but he's shown flashes of brilliance. What he needs is a bigger role in the passing game. Kinda hard to expose defenses when you're only getting targeted 2x a game. And that goes for the entire offense, not just him.

Adoree Jackson was ranked 15th in PFF's top 25 corners for 2019, ranking "no. 12th in forced incompletion percentage (17.4 percent), had the 10th-fewest first down completions allowed, and he surrendered just one touchdown the entire season."  I mean, if you care about such things at all. Butler is a gambler, but he missed the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs with an injury. He was playing solid before that. Humphries seems like wasted resources, but the offense was run-based to begin with and the first 6 games of the season the offense was sporadic at best. Whether you like Mariota or not, the offense obviously improved when Tannehill took over. But it still remained a run-first offense. The targets just weren't there for the #3 receiver on the depth chart, regardless of how much money he was making.

I'll give you Dion Lewis... guy was straight up dumpster juice the whole time he was here. 

And Jurrell Casey in his prime along side a budding Jeffrey Simmons going into 2020? What a double punch alongside Jones.

Jesus... Casey has been out of his prime for the last 2 years. Now he's entering into that stage/age where players start to really decline. Maybe he would have bounced back for this year at least, but in the long run we'd have been paying a lot for less. And who the hell knows how free agency would be playing out right now if not for the fucking kung flu?

People are acting like free agency and the draft have already happened, but everything's on a damn time delay now. Like how Gale's camera's 30 second delay got her cameraman's throat slashed. There are still plenty of moves to be made between now and whenever, but judging from your post I'm guessing whatever those moves turn out to be you're going to shit on them anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19 minutes ago, Bluth said:

OP has been in quarantine way to long, he’s become delusional. 

I still don’t like losing Casey. I don’t think it would have bothered me as much if it was a higher pick. 

It bugs me we didn't get at least a 6th round pick, or maybe even a low 5th rounder. But teams just aren't giving up a higher pick for a 30 year old defensive tackle who's starting to decline when he's scheduled to be paid $11M. Casey has been a very good player for us but he's not Aaron Donald or Ndamukong Suh. He's not that big time, big name player that even casual fans know. 

11 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Ok... I guess I'll bite.

Tagging Tannehill sounds great... if we'd actually gotten back 2 first round picks. Jonboy has linked two or three times to the fact that this hasn't happened except for maybe 1 or 2 times in NFL history. I'd like you to show me which team was going to give the Titans 2 1sts for Tannehill.

Meanwhile, you sign Henry long-term, which is still doable btw, but then you've structured the team's flexibility around a RB. Henry is great, but he plays a position that is notoriously rough on ones who play it. In his first season as full time starter he tweaked his hamstring down the stretch and had to miss a game. Yes, he rebounded with an unprecedented run into the playoffs but that run eventually ended. He's still young (from a football pov), but for how long? How much could he have possibly shortened his career by playing on that busted hammy? Eddie George was a tank... until the turf toe monster reached up and tweaked him in Baltimore in 2000. He went on to finish the season with career highs in attempts, yards, and touchdowns, but he was never really that guy again.

What if Tannehill got picked up by another team, we sign Henry to a long-term deal and he goes the way of EG, and we're sitting here with a half-busted RB and a gaping hole ? at QB... in the middle of a world-wide pandemic, no less (not that this could have been planned for). I suppose we could have gone ahead and signed Brady for $30M but it's very possible that the Brady we'd have gotten/the Brady the Bucs are getting would really have needed Henry to be the Henry we had down the stretch in 2019.

I'd argue signing Tannehill to an extension showed him more how much he was wanted.

And we saw how well that worked out. Also, see my points above.^

If you're focusing on the player and all the hype/emotion that went with his 2019 season? Yes. If you're focusing on the history of the position, how hit or miss 2nd big time contracts for RBs are, and how a big deal might impact the future? Not so much.

Yeah... Mariota wasn't coming back here even if the Titans had wanted him to. That's the problem with these fantasy scenarios... they rarely take into consideration the desire of the player that's being looked at as merely a cog in the overall plan.

I wanted Mariota to work out as much as anyone, and there really are some joke ass hot takes about him that rests on bullshit revisionist history and strange biases, but dude's gone. The moment his butt hit the bench for Tannehill he was gon be gone. I still believe he's got the talent and drive to be a great player in the league, but sometimes greatness doesn't happen on a guy's first stop. It didn't happen for Drew Brees. Mariota had a lot of shitty luck here with various injuries and incompetence of the organization that drafted him.

FWIW, the organization that drafted him is not the current organization. If this version of the Titans front office were to have drafted him in 2015 things would have turned out a lot differently for him here, imo.

Conklin was somewhat of a liability that can be replaced. Ryan is an aging corner who they may still bring back. Casey is a declining talent and probably wasn't worth how much we were going to have to pay him and someone who we've already drafted a replacement for. Walker? That guy's toast. Woodyard? Lol. Sharpe? LOL

None of those guys are irreplaceable and you just can't keep the band together for the sake of keeping the band together.

Jayon Brown is still coming into his own, and Landry and Evans probably have barely scratched the surface. Corey Davis is playing for a 2nd contract from someone this year. He's either going to get it from us or from someone else, but either way he's motivated. Jonnu Smith is a ?, but he's shown flashes of brilliance. What he needs is a bigger role in the passing game. Kinda hard to expose defenses when you're only getting targeted 2x a game. And that goes for the entire offense, not just him.

Adoree Jackson was ranked 15th in PFF's top 25 corners for 2019, ranking "no. 12th in forced incompletion percentage (17.4 percent), had the 10th-fewest first down completions allowed, and he surrendered just one touchdown the entire season."  I mean, if you care about such things at all. Butler is a gambler, but he missed the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs with an injury. He was playing solid before that. Humphries seems like wasted resources, but the offense was run-based to begin with and the first 6 games of the season the offense was sporadic at best. Whether you like Mariota or not, the offense obviously improved when Tannehill took over. But it still remained a run-first offense. The targets just weren't there for the #3 receiver on the depth chart, regardless of how much money he was making.

I'll give you Dion Lewis... guy was straight up dumpster juice the whole time he was here. 

Jesus... Casey has been out of his prime for the last 2 years. Now he's entering into that stage/age where players start to really decline. Maybe he would have bounced back for this year at least, but in the long run we'd have been paying a lot for less. And who the hell knows how free agency would be playing out right now if not for the fucking kung flu?

People are acting like free agency and the draft have already happened, but everything's on a damn time delay now. Like how Gale's camera's 30 second delay got her cameraman's throat slashed. There are still plenty of moves to be made between now and whenever, but judging from your post I'm guessing whatever those moves turn out to be you're going to shit on them anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice response sir. Well versed in refuting as a knowledgeable fan.

I'll try to make this short and sweet. There is no championship run without Derrick Henry. Mike Vrabel inherited a divisional playoff team roster built by both Jon Robinson (gifted from Jeff Fisher) and of all coaches, Mike Mularkey. Without the drafting of Marcus Mariota, we'd be having an entirely different conversation all together. Say what you want, no other quarterback since Steve McNair has done more in the same time span under center. It took Vrabel half of season to realize what he had in Henry, in place of Dion Lewis, who, like Adam Humphries, was an overreach signing. Another sad reality lies in the fact that our front office ended up paying Marcus more money in attempts to avoid that by benching him against the Colts in week seventeen. Steve McNair went on championship runs in far worse shape and condition. Decision making and past mistakes has always been the sad commentary and consistent theme out of Nashville. Let's see what happens when Tannehill goes down with a torn ACL. Let's see what happens to this team when miracle reserve moments thin out turning 2-4 starts into 4-12 finishes. We finally got our answer about Tannehill's worth when counted on the most when the run game struggled in Kansas City (and significantly regressed since the end of the season), at least we knew Mariota's after coming back from 21 down when Ryan couldn't hold a ten point lead in a far bigger game.

I hope Ryan Tannehill has found a home. I hope he continues on the same level for the next three years. I hope "I am" a fucking retard in everything I state to be 100% wrong and justified in should've-would've-doing. 

Jurrell Casey, Tajae Sharpe, Marcus Mariota, Logan Ryan, Delaine Walker, Jack Conklin, LeShaun Sims, Kamalei Correra, Austin Johnson... That's a ton of talent gone baby gone.

Adam Humphries, Dennis Kelly, Vic Beasley, Ty Sambrallo, and Nick Dzubnar, don't seem to be in the same league or ballpark. At least for now, Ryan Tannehill does.

Hope for hope in 2020.