2016 draft recap

NashvilleNinja

Players in italics are players no longer here

Players in bold are players still here

1st round: Jack Conklin? Gone to the Browns

2nd round: Kevin Dodd? Kevin Dudd

2nd round: Austin Johnson? Gone to the Giants

2nd round: Derrick Henry? Tagged, maybe gone in a year

3rd round: Kevin Byard? On his 2nd contract, one of the top safeties in the league

5th round: Tajae Sharpe? Gone to the Vikings

5th round: LeShaun Sims? Gone to the Bengals

6th round: Sebastian Tretola? Meathead who now plays in the XFL

7th round: Aaron Wallace? Currently a free agent
7th round: Kalan Reed? Currently a free agent

===

You'd think a draft in which only 2 of the original players are still with the team four years later would feel worse than it does, but I'd say that getting two bonafide stars and top players at their positions and having 4 others from the class move on to relatively decent 2nd contracts with other teams, thus helping future draft comps, constitutes a successful draft. I'm sure there will be some who see this and think "wow, JRob really blew chunks with his first draft", but I'm thinking this is just life & reality in the NFL. I bet most teams in the league hit on their draft picks about the same, many are worse. WE were much worse under Webster. At the very least JRob isn't content to just sit put and let everything happen around and to him. He's grinding, has a good eye for talent, has a good feel for and isn't afraid of trades, and he's building the team in a smart way. There's not much more you can really ask for except for a little bit of luck.

I don't think it feels as bad because some of those guys who are gone contributed, I mean they weren't stars but they were sort of reliable and averagish type players.  I don't know if that makes any sense.  Compare it to Webster's guys who 90% of them were like stiffs and clown shows when they played.

At least 6 of those guys, possibly more, will be playing in the league this year and most will contribute significantly to the team they’re on.  We can’t keep everyone-I’d say those were some pretty good picks by JRob and co. 

I mean I don’t know how anyone could blame him for this draft. He drafted 3 pro bowlers. Losing Conklin has nothing to do with the quality of this draft class.

No one expected a 31 year old qb to end up needing to be paid 30 million a year and eat up a huge chunk of our cap. I think JRob fully expected to be taking a QB in the first this year. 

2 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

Would have been nice to see the Titans get more production out of Henry over the 4 years he's been here.

Kind of a tough call on just how good of a pic he was.

Henry has single handedly won us 3 playoff games. Wtf are you talking about?

5 minutes ago, Thrill said:

Henry has single handedly won us 3 playoff games. Wtf are you talking about?

Took Henry 2.5 years to win the starting job.  Titans did what they could to give it fuckin Dion Lewis.

I do think a big part of the blame falls on the Titans but still.  A second round back of his ability should have been the man much earlier on.

Totally the Titans fault that they relied on a hobbled aging Murray and then went with Dion.

At the end of the day, the draft is all about acquiring talent and roster building...period.    When you look past all the window dressing and debates, the bottom line is:  did you add talent and make the team better?  

In his first draft, JRob brought in three guys who became top-notch starters (Conklin, Henry, Byard) and three solid depth/rotational players (Johnson, Sims, Sharpe).   Granted, he started with a ton of draft capital......but that’s a damn good draft class, period. 

It’s unfortunate that only two of those six players are still on the roster...but that’s life in the NFL.  You can’t keep everyone.  JRob has already shown that he can build a strong, competitive roster.  Now we find out whether he can maintain it. 

20 hours ago, rns90 said:

I don't think it feels as bad because some of those guys who are gone contributed, I mean they weren't stars but they were sort of reliable and averagish type players.  I don't know if that makes any sense.  Compare it to Webster's guys who 90% of them were like stiffs and clown shows when they played.

I'm probably always going to be pissed about the Sankey pick. None of the backs in that class have had great careers, but many of the others have at least contributed and looked, at times, like they might be that dude. I will never understand what Webster saw in him.

55 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

Took Henry 2.5 years to win the starting job.  Titans did what they could to give it fuckin Dion Lewis.

I do think a big part of the blame falls on the Titans but still.  A second round back of his ability should have been the man much earlier on.

Totally the Titans Mularkey's fault that they relied on a hobbled aging Murray and then went with Dion.

Mularkey rode Murray til the wheels came off, as he should have, and then kept riding him til the axles started digging extra ditches, which he shouldn't have.

Dion Lewis was looked to for a while in 2018 in part because Henry was still in that "look like Tarzan, play like Jane" mode. When he changed how he played that's when his role increased.

I don't fault the Titans for going with Lewis for half of the 2018 season. He was a freshly signed free agent who was expected to come in here and show out. He didn't. 

8 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Mularkey rode Murray til the wheels came off, as he should have, and then kept riding him til the axles started digging extra ditches, which he shouldn't have.

Dion Lewis was looked to for a while in 2018 in part because Henry was still in that "look like Tarzan, play like Jane" mode. When he changed how he played that's when his role increased.

I don't fault the Titans for going with Lewis for half of the 2018 season. He was a freshly signed free agent who was expected to come in here and show out. He didn't. 

Regardless of who's fault is was my point was it's kinda difficult to put a grade on Henry as a draft pic.

Had extreme highs but also a lot of nothingness mixed in.

Would've like to see the Titans utilize him more over the cheap years.

The fact he drafted so well that year and after that, that we did not need to keep the players is a good thing. 

Would we all like to draft a guy and keep him till the end of his perfect career? No shit we would. But that is not the real world. 

He nailed half of that draft and that is better than most year to year.

As good as that draft was, the subsequent drafts are better, especially last years.  There was a good reason JRob sent Beddingfield & company packing, and the results since clearly justify what he did.

Archived