Giants Sign DL Austin Johnson

tgo

1 hour ago, SuperTitanic said:

So Austin Johnson was more valuable than Marcus Mariota since his drafting in a Titans uniform? Stupidity Japan? With an entitlement like that coming representing the place area of world horror, I'd choose my words a little more carefully. 

And where arguing over "Austin Johnson."

Mariota is a bigger bust than Austin Johnson

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Btw, I think the Casey move is really about getting Simmons into what they feel is his natural position.    So the add is probably going to be a nose or 5 technique. 

It is refreshing to have a GM playing Chess instead of Candy Land...

When they said the 2020 Titans will not be the 2019 Titans they meant the hell out of that.

Johnson was just averageish maybe replacement level.  There have been far worse busts, Kevin Dodd, Hunter, Green Beckham, if you just want to list 2nd round guys and of course Bishop Sankey.

Yall wrong for shitting on AJ. He was a good player. Just because he never became great doesn't make him a bust. Very few of those big fellas actually become great. You draft them high because they're a NEED and face a ton of punishment through the year. Same as any OL, but expecting greatness because of draft position is stupid -- for any linemen. 

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

Johnson was just averageish maybe replacement level.  There have been far worse busts, Kevin Dodd, Hunter, Green Beckham, if you just want to list 2nd round guys and of course Bishop Sankey.

AJ wasn't really a bust. He became a contributor. These scrubs never amounted to anything. Hunter made some plays on other teams but fizzled out. 

1 hour ago, SleepingTitan said:

AJ wasn't really a bust. He became a contributor. These scrubs never amounted to anything. Hunter made some plays on other teams but fizzled out. 

I’d say that any 2nd round pick who never improves beyond backup caliber qualifies as a bust

12 minutes ago, tgo said:

I wouldn’t call him a bust. But was a disappointment for where he was drafted. He is a starter on some defenses. 

I don’t see any scenario where he isn’t a bust, at least based on 4 years here. He wouldn’t have been a bust had he been a day 3 pick, but as a 2nd rounder... he’s a bust.

Maybe he will have some impact in NY but he has all of 2.5 career sacks and is not some elite run stopper.

Edited by Starkiller

2 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I don’t see any scenario where he isn’t a bust, at least based on 4 years here.

Maybe he will have some impact in NY but he has all of 2.5 career sacks and is not some elite run stopper.

I guess when I think of busts I think of terrible picks like Chris Henry or Khalfani Muhammed or DGB or Bishop Sankey or or Jeremiah Poutasi or whatever. 

Johnson is a solid rotational DL in a 3-4 who has positional versatility. 

Edited by tgo

4 hours ago, SuperTitanic said:

So Austin Johnson was more valuable than Marcus Mariota since his drafting in a Titans uniform? Stupidity Japan? With an entitlement like that coming representing the place area of world horror, I'd choose my words a little more carefully. 

And where arguing over "Austin Johnson."

The guy was depth player who did makes some big plays over the years (huge tackle at the end of the 2016 KC game comes to mind.)  Wasn't like he sat on the bench.  Not every #2 pick is going to be a stud.  BTW, maybe you've never heard of Dodd, but he was the bust from that second round. 

2 hours ago, tgo said:

I guess when I think of busts I think of terrible picks like Chris Henry or Khalfani Muhammed or DGB or Bishop Sankey or or Jeremiah Poutasi or whatever. 

Johnson is a solid rotational DL in a 3-4 who has positional versatility. 

Khal Muhammed? He was a 7th round pick. There is no such thing as a 7th round bust.

As for the rest, they were also busts For sure. But Johnson was only a step better than any of them. You can’t waste 2nd round picks on career backup caliber players. That’s why he was a bust. 

You don’t need for every 2nd rounder to be a hall of fame guy. But if you can’t even draft a soon-to-be starter in the 2nd round then it’s a terrible pick.

19 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Auston Johnson was a disappointment, maybe not a bust but if the draft were held over the Titans sure wouldn't draft him in hindsight 

Not until the later rounds anyway.