Giants Sign DL Austin Johnson

tgo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Btw, I think the Casey move is really about getting Simmons into what they feel is his natural position.    So the add is probably going to be a nose or 5 technique. 

It is refreshing to have a GM playing Chess instead of Candy Land...

When they said the 2020 Titans will not be the 2019 Titans they meant the hell out of that.

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

I guess we really are waiting on Clowney

I don't think they were really interesting in re-signing Johnson.   I hope that his contract qualifies for a comp pick.

Edited by rns90

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Maybe they already planned on drafting a DL pretty early?  Didn't JR say that DL was one of the strengths of this draft?

Hell, they may draft 2 early at this rate. Like when the top two picks were Evans and Landry.

Just now, CaliTitan3518 said:

hmm I wonder what the play for the DL is here. There are still a few veteran guys available. Casey and Johnson played a significant number of snaps so it will take 2-3 rotational players to fill that unless we get a stud.

Have to think that in addition to either a FA or a couple draft picks, they're expecting more out of Isaiah Mack and/or Matt Dickerson. Amani Bledsoe was also on the verge of making the team last year, and has a lot of promise as a 5 technique. 

Another thing is - we have 60 players rostered as of now with a 90 man limit going into the offseason program. 

We have 7 draft picks and usually sign about 13-15 UDFAs if memory serves. So we need to acquire 30 more players, and some of those players should be veteran depth players. 

2 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

hmm I wonder what the play for the DL is here. There are still a few veteran guys available. Casey and Johnson played a significant number of snaps so it will take 2-3 rotational players to fill that unless we get a stud.

If they sign Clowney they would play more 5-LB, 2-DL fronts. Maybe they are waiting to see if they can sign Clowney before they go after someone like Harris or Jernigan.

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

Have to think that in addition to either a FA or a couple draft picks, they're expecting more out of Isaiah Mack and/or Matt Dickerson. Amani Bledsoe was also on the verge of making the team last year, and has a lot of promise as a 5 technique. 

I think they can plan to use a bunch of young guys as depth, but they probably still need to add one more starter.

2 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I think they can plan to use a bunch of young guys as depth, but they probably still need to add one more starter.

We need at least 1 more interior guy to play around 30% of snaps IMO. If not we need 2-3 guys who can do 20%-25%. Simmons and Jones will likely be playing 60+% of snaps. If one of them goes down we are fucked.