Unemployment claims top 3.3 million in a single week - slashes record by almost 500%

9 Nines

7d0f98f4df087447a5558de78508bd56b0545941

3.3 Million Jobless Claims Filed Last Week

March 26, 2020 at 8:32 am EDT

U.S. unemployment claims soared to 3.3 million as layoffs from coronavirus engulfed the economy, CNBC reports.

“The number shatters the Great Recession peak of 665,000 in March 2009 and the all-time mark of 695,000 in October 1982.”

“Consensus estimates from economists surveyed by Dow Jones showed an expectation for 1.5 million new claims, though individual forecasts on Wall Street had been anticipating a much higher number. The surge comes amid a crippling slowdown brought on by the coronavirus crisis.”

Wall Street Journal: “Millions of Americans, already fearful the new coronavirus could infect them or their families, now have two new worries: When will the job machine start again? And can they hold out until it does?”

1 hour ago, Rolltide said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooooooo! Just what the libturds wanted. Massive job losses! I bet the democrat party hasn't been this excited since Dylann Roof shot up a church full of black folks. Yes!

Fucking assholes. 

No one wants this you fucking idiot. Some of us are Americans first, you are Republicans first. 

3 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

No one wants this you fucking idiot. Some of us are Americans first, you are Republicans first. 

There are some on the Dem side that will take advantage of anything they can try to tie to Trump in a negative manner. 

The problem is, with this huge crash it will be followed by a surge before the election.

1 hour ago, Rolltide said:

Fucking assholes. 

You'd have to be Rush Limbaugh to root for something like this just to take down a politician.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

There are some on the Dem side that will take advantage of anything they can try to tie to Trump in a negative manner. 

It's always tough for Trump when Democrats tie him to the words that come out of his mouth.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/list/?speaker=donald-trump&ruling=false

Yea, I haven't been this excited since Bush and a republican congress fucked up the housing market and economy.  I remember those good 'ole days when we actually though he was the stupid one.

4 minutes ago, ctm said:

Yea, I haven't been this excited since Bush and a republican congress fucked up the housing market and economy.  I remember those good 'ole days when we actually though he was the stupid one.

Dubya's legacy is by FAR the biggest winner of the Trump presidency.  How you like me now!!

1 hour ago, ctm said:

I always said during the election that the worst thing about Trump was that he made me miss Dubya. Of course, that was until he got elected...

And honestly, if you look back on it critically, there is an argument to be made that Dubya was worse (up until the pandemic hit, anyway). He got us into Iraq for no reason and we are still dealing with the repercussions to this day. He totally mismanaged Katrina. The economic crisis wasn’t all his fault, but certainly they made things worse right up until the end. 

33 million unemployed is unprecedented, news worthy, and has a definite impact on Politics.   We're not talking about it enough honestly.

3 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Why the thread then? Anybody with a brain cell knew there would be a downturn caused by this. The same poster was in a frenzy over the Dow being down to pre Trump levels. Tuco is enjoying it he thinks Joe Biden is smart. 

Because he knew it would rustle your jimmies. 

Go cry somewhere else

The GOP's no-compromise pledge

Republicans pledging to embrace an agenda for the next two years that sounds a lot like their agenda for the past two: Block Obama at all costs.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

Archived