Henry and the tag

Callidus

3 hours ago, tgo said:

He needs to be extended. If they can't reach an agreement, it's going to be a problem this year. 

Maybe, but there's always the draft if Henry is going to be big headed about it. He should look at what happened with Le'Veon Bell and Melvin Gordon if he wants a good view of what his future looks like.

If the Titans offer him a good deal, even if it's not some monster record-breaking contract, he'd be wise to take it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You also said Dion Lewis was superior, so your opinion on RBs is pretty worthless. 

30 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

It's pretty obvious they are going for the 2nd tier type of contract(8 or 9 mill) and Henry likely wants something closer to Elliott. He flat out said he wanted an Elliott deal earlier in the off season. 

Well ok but that doesn't help for this thread.  My choice changes depending on the terms of a deal to extend him.

15 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Maybe, but there's always the draft if Henry is going to be big headed about it. He should look at what happened with Le'Veon Bell and Melvin Gordon if he wants a good view of what his future looks like.

If the Titans offer him a good deal, even if it's not some monster record-breaking contract, he'd be wise to take it.

Your not gonna replace Henry in the draft.

Replacing that production will fall on multiple players..mainly tannehill.

Should have made Henry a good offer and then if he didn't sign let him test the market.

Should've tagged Conklin and traded him

Jmo

If Henry isn't playing for this team then there will be a huge step backwards. Theres no way to replace him, Conklin, Casey, and Ryan while also losing some depth players like Woodyard. This means Tannehill is going to be expected to carry the team and he will most likely revert back to Dolphins level of play. Then people are going to bash the move to resign him. Its going to be a cascading effect of turmoil. This is not turning out to be a good offseason so far. 

2 hours ago, Soxcat said:

JRob knows how valuable Henry is which is why he used the tag on him.  The hope now is to get Henry to agree to a little less and sign him long term.  

As for Tannehill reverting back it depends on who would be taking Henry's place if we did have to go without him.  

There is nobody that can take his place currently. Nobody in the draft and no available back on the market. 

The paradox here is that the earlier the Titans draft a RB, the more leverage they have over Henry.  The later they draft a RB, the more leverage Henry has.  Personally, I'd draft 2 RBs, one probably in the 2nd (maybe even the 1st, depending on how things fall) and another in the 7th with one of the three picks.

Titans can't afford to give Henry contract leverage with a weak #2 RB where he can hold out to start the season but come in on time to get an accrued season.

You guys always have a great grasp of the numbers, so I am sure there's a reason for not wanting to get Henry under a decent contract.  No Player wants to play under the tag.  We just got RT signed, everybody happy.  The possibility of the Titans repeating last season with RT and X RB are very slim.  We could get Swift or Taylor, let one of them start the season if Henry holds out.  That puts us at 13M at the RB position.  We can get the other players we need in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

At 13M-14M the Titans would be set at RB.  Smart.  The Titans would be spending way less than a lot of teams did in 2019 at RB, not bad for a combo of Henry and Swift/Taylor, plus FB/backups.  By comparison  Houston-17M  Rams-20M  Patriots 17M  JETS-19M  49ers-21M  We'll have the NFL Rushing Leader and we are paying him less than backs not as good.  We march into the playoffs and Happy Henry will do the rest.  Not bad.

"Get outta my way, I'm making money for my QB."

AgonizingFaithfulIceblueredtopzebra-size

7 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I did say if they are within a couple of mil.  Is that hard to understand?

You are also a moron if you think we can replace Henry's production.  If we do use a draft pick to get a RB that means we have once less quality draft pick to use on another position.  Maybe someone can help you look up what FA RBs are available as well.  

wrong trump GIF

Fully aware of the other options - both the vets on the market and the draft prospects.  Fully aware of how huge RB contracts have failed.  Fully aware of how easy other teams seem to find affordable, productive backs.  Given the investment on the OL, it's perfectly reasonable to RB production to be fine.

Seattle had a group of backs put similar numbers up in terms of yards and at a fraction of the cost.  KC was led by a trio of backs.

The real issue is whether the Titans want a long term deal with Henry.  My guess is that they only do if the price is below the 10 M mark on average.  If not, buy year to year while hedging a hold out or regression with a viable alternative that is really unlikely to be a veteran on the market.

Edited by BudAdams

7 hours ago, BudAdams said:

wrong trump GIF

Fully aware of the other options - both the vets on the market and the draft prospects.  Fully aware of how huge RB contracts have failed.  Fully aware of how easy other teams seem to find affordable, productive backs.  Given the investment on the OL, it's perfectly reasonable to RB production to be fine.

Seattle had a group of backs put similar numbers up in terms of yards and at a fraction of the cost.  KC was led by a trio of backs.

The real issue is whether the Titans want a long term deal with Henry.  My guess is that they only do if the price is below the 10 M mark on average.  If not, buy year to year while hedging a hold out or regression with a viable alternative that is really unlikely to be a veteran on the market.

Not that I entirely disagree, but the two teams you mentioned have the best QBs in the league. I’m not saying Tannehill is completely reliant on a dominant running game, but it definitely maximizes his sit in the pocket and wait till the last moment to unleash style. Even though he’s fast, he isn’t a functional scrambler. Having defenses key on Henry could be a key factor in keeping him healthy and in his zone. 

I think there’s merit in bridging the gap, or at least attempting to, with Henry. He is the face of the franchise and is now probably the leader of the team. I also don’t see him wearing down that much for at least a couple years with the caveat we get a legitimate number 2. 

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

I’m up in here telling people you need more money and you go do this. How about a little help bro. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2020/03/17/derrick-henry-kobe-bryant-chain-tribute-tennessee-titans/

Derrick Henry didn't get the contract he wanted from the Titans this month ... but he sure as hell got a dope chain regardless -- coppin' an $85K piece to honor his hero, Kobe Bryant.

TMZ Sports has learned Henry grew up a huge fan of the Mamba ... and shortly after the Lakers legend's death in January, Derrick hit up ZoFrost to have tribute drip made.