We have a deal

NashvilleNinja

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/stimulus-senate-action-coronavirus/index.html

The White House and Senate leaders struck a major deal early Wednesday morning over a $2-trillion package to provide a jolt to an economy struggling amid the coronavirus pandemic, capping days of marathon negotiations that produced one of the most expensive and far-reaching measures in the history of Congress.

"Ladies and gentleman, we are done," White House legislative affairs director Eric Ueland said right before 1 a.m. after leaving Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's office following negotiations that have gone around the clock since last Friday. "We have a deal."

McConnell formally announced the agreement on the Senate floor, saying, "At last, we have a deal. After days of intense discussions, the Senate has reached a bipartisan agreement on a historic relief package for this pandemic."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No.  Approve nothing for now.  Ride out the storm in quarantine and then approve something that is well thought out and makes sense based upon what happens (or doesn't happen).   It's crazy

History will look back at Trump’s 4 years as one of the most disastrous economic timeframes in American history. The ripples are huge. That tax bill is looking incredibly foolish right now.   

I love the fact rolltide qualifies for a check. Take that government handout....

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, abenjami said:

So pretty much as soon as the final details/negotiations are ironed out, the Senate votes and passes the bill.

The House is waiting until Friday to vote on it.

WTF?

Yeah, idk what that delay is all about. To give some scattered dissenters time to throw another wrench in the works?

Edited by NashvilleNinja

1 minute ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Yeah, idk what that delay is all about. To give some scattered dissenters time to throw another wrench in the works?

If not that, most likely something else politically motivated.

Call me an eternal optimist, but perhaps the House is waiting 2 days because they want to see how much better/worse the coronavirus numbers get before they approve a shit ton of money for something that might not do jack squat if the numbers double.

1 minute ago, abenjami said:

If not that, most likely something else politically motivated.

Call me an eternal optimist, but perhaps the House is waiting 2 days because they want to see how much better/worse the coronavirus numbers get before they approve a shit ton of money for something that might not do jack squat if the numbers double.

What's the alternative? Approve an even shittier ton of money if they do double?

1 minute ago, abenjami said:

No.  Approve nothing for now.  Ride out the storm in quarantine and then approve something that is well thought out and makes sense based upon what happens (or doesn't happen).

It's crazy to me they are going to pass a $2 TRILLION dollar piece of legislation that was thrown together in a few days time.  It will be the largest thing in history and it has been rushed through out of panic and for public perception.

I agree with what you're saying in general, but the population needs something  right. now. Instead of maybe 1200 right now maybe do 600 in April, 600 in May.

There's supposed to be roughly 327M people in the US. If 80% of those people made a small enough amount of money to qualify for a stimulus check that's roughly 260M people getting a check. That's $312B. If they cut the amount in half to 600 per person that's 156B.

That's still a metric shit ton of money, but would that ease some of the burden?

6 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I agree with what you're saying in general, but the population needs something  right. now. Instead of maybe 1200 right now maybe do 600 in April, 600 in May.

There's supposed to be roughly 327M people in the US. If 80% of those people made a small enough amount of money to qualify for a stimulus check that's roughly 260M people getting a check. That's $312B. If they cut the amount in half to 600 per person that's 156B.

That's still a metric shit ton of money, but would that ease some of the burden?

That would make a lot of sense IMO.  It would also seem a lot more genuine and easier to draft into legislation as it would be relatively non-complicated.

Just now, abenjami said:

That would make a lot of sense IMO.  It would also seem a lot more genuine and easier to draft into legislation as it would be relatively non-complicated.

That's the problem with politicians. They complicate the unholy hell out of everything.

I've always thought the idiom "less is more" applied to more than just artistic expressions.

3 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Yes, what does that have to do with it? I did not expect to make more money on unemployment then when I was working. 

Your self righteous libtard attitudes will not work here. I come from union factory workers.  

So you should be aware that one has to be "ready willing and able to work" to receive unemployment benefits.  And that the state checks with your employer to confirm that you were actually laid off.

This isn't a choice people are making.  It's hardship from a natural disaster.  God forbid a laid off hourly worker gets a few extra bucks for a few months.

Edited by patsplat