Unconventional Workouts: COVID-19

pat

I've started trying to get into healthy habits with a new daily workout:

- 5x pushups with a 64lb kid on my back
- 20x squats
- 5x squats with a 64lb kid on my back
- 20x pushups

I know some of y'all are well ahead of this pace but I'm doing what I can.

Other more rare workouts have included:

- Sifting dirt and rocks through a milk crate

- Digging up weeds

Have some resistance bands ordered but who knows when I'll see those.

How are folks staying in shape?  Any more unconventional workouts that can be done around the house?

23 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Throw in some "drunk bitch" bench press reps

As soon as she's good and saused l

This has already been observed as the next level once I strengthen up.

No more drinks though.

I actually bought a few kettlebells and dumbells, I have bands too

I've been going to a local park where I can do weighted pull ups, box jumps on a table, sprints etc...... I've been doing a lot more push-ups.

The only thing I can't duplicate is going pretty heavy on bench press 

7 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I've been going to a local park where I can do weighted pull ups, box jumps on a table, sprints etc...... I've been doing a lot more push-ups.

This is good.  Fining a place for pullups is the hard part.  I'm thinking of building my own in the backyard with 2 6x6 posts and a steel pipe.  Aside from that I run hills nearby and do push-ups, box jumps and burpees.  One I get the pull-up situation figured out, I'm set.

4 hours ago, patsplat said:

I've started trying to get into healthy habits with a new daily workout:

- 5x pushups with a 64lb kid on my back
- 20x squats
- 5x squats with a 64lb kid on my back
- 20x pushups

I know some of y'all are well ahead of this pace but I'm doing what I can.

Other more rare workouts have included:

- Sifting dirt and rocks through a milk crate

- Digging up weeds

Have some resistance bands ordered but who knows when I'll see those.

How are folks staying in shape?  Any more unconventional workouts that can be done around the house?

Your off to a great start with the pushup/squats....just try to do pullups (even if only 1 or 2) and you are set.

5 minutes ago, VaTitan said:

Your off to a great start with the pushup/squats....just try to do pullups (even if only 1 or 2) and you are set.

Thanks for the reminder.  Pullups are definitely the fat programmers weakness.

53 minutes ago, VaTitan said:

This is good.  Fining a place for pullups is the hard part.  I'm thinking of building my own in the backyard with 2 6x6 posts and a steel pipe.  Aside from that I run hills nearby and do push-ups, box jumps and burpees.  One I get the pull-up situation figured out, I'm set.

Yea pull ups is def the hardest thing to find. I'll get one of the doorway bars from Academy or order one from Walmart, if it rains I'll be screwed 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

First thing I did at the beginning of this situation is buy some kettlebells.  So worth the money, IMO.  I don't think I'm gonna be making crazy gains with them, but I've noticed I've leaned up quite a bit and feel stronger in all areas...cardio better too. 

Right now my everyday is as follows (and I'm not at the level of a lot of you here...this is just a suggestion for anyone interested):

Full run of basic DDP Yoga moves (Basic yoga moves but you tense up your muscles through the movements)

Circuit training with kettlebells for the following (4-5 runs of the circuit):

• Cleans x 3
  • Overhead Press x 5
  • Goblet Squat x 7
  • Bent Over Rows x 9
  • Swings x 11

Burpees, pushup or non-pushup depending on the day, until I'm blown up.

DDP Yoga Cooldown stretches

I'm loving this workout.  I have major back and neck issues (two laminectomies and fusion at C level, whole lumbar calcifying) and this really helps to loosen up a lot of those issues.  I'll go back to traditional stuff once gyms are back open, but I'll integrate this workout in between lifts some days, I think. 

One thing I've learned over the last few years is that it's very important to do some kind of exercise activity.  I was in WAY more pain sitting around doing nothing.  It sucked getting back into the routine last year, for sure, but after the first month I felt immensely better with my back.  I also look at exercise in a similar fashion to Tyson Fury in that it's important for emotional health as well. 

Ok, time for me to chime in.

First things first, get setup with a good adjustable bench, some adjustable dumbbells, and an assortment of free weights with a curl bar...

1908897149_Benchflat.jpg.f876d4e3620882ae6a9581d54995caf6.jpg2051787943_BenchUp.jpg.75f4ec7e4b55de9738e38b27fd6b360a.jpgwEIGHTS.jpg.7c88e3df4cd64b6f44bffe2f63cc922e.jpg

Then get some other essentials like an inflatable ball and pull up bar that mounts to the studs behind your drywall...

BaLL.jpg.cd4a4d20665bb6111ac4c165509141bc.jpg727096306_PUBar.jpg.ebce43a751f9d55b9e514672244b62e0.jpg

You can also add some resistance bands and get some TRX mounts to use with them...

1881586985_Bandsandclubs.jpg.5e380b31855440a0376ece2c1ded0785.jpgMount.jpg.413005dadc8d5718a9be95d6e47d3ab2.jpg

Finally, when you get sick of changing the adjustable dumbbells all the time, just invest in a set of lighter dumbbells to avoid changing weights so often...

Bells.jpg.df75aa20efc8ecd69452fd64d02b286d.jpg

You can get a great workout with this setup.  And for anyone interested, the golf clubs you see below the resistance bands are better than CTF's rusty old bag of shitty clubs!

3 minutes ago, patsplat said:

@abenjami it's obvious you need a child to soak up some of that extraneous income.  Get busy with Ms. @abenjami and make it happen!

Ha ha, way past that stage of life.  Already set on just enjoying it and leaving whatever we accumulate to others.

In all honesty though, my setup isn't that expensive.  Most of that stuff was bought on Amazon or Costco.  The adjustable dumbbells were a bit expensive but all the other stuff is dirt cheap.

20 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Ha ha, way past that stage of life.  Already set on just enjoying it and leaving whatever we accumulate to others.

In all honesty though, my setup isn't that expensive.  Most of that stuff was bought on Amazon or Costco.  The adjustable dumbbells were a bit expensive but all the other stuff is dirt cheap.

It's sorta funny how the real reason other people can't do that would be having an entire area set up just for a workout room.