tgo

Titans All In on Clowney (Update: Russini Expects him to Sign with Titans)

6 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

that’s the rules, so yes it’s a guarantee. If you sign a non-exclusive franchise player to a contract offer and the original team doesn’t match, they get 2 1st round picks from you. 

That is correct.

However most of the recent moves for franchise tagged players is via trades which doesn't carry the same designated compensation, No one is signing Chris Jones and handing over 2 first round picks though.

11 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

that’s the rules, so yes it’s a guarantee. If you sign a non-exclusive franchise player to a contract offer and the original team doesn’t match, they get 2 1st round picks from you. 

Not sure the context of the discussion, but saw NN tagged me. Teams never get the 2 first round picks. If they want to trade them, they can trade a player for less than the 2 first round picks.

More here:

On 3/19/2020 at 12:50 AM, Jonboy said:

Sorry, of course I was referring to the quote you posted. This article explains what I was trying to say:

Why would a team tag and then trade a player, rather than tag him and wait to get two first-round picks?

Because NFL teams almost never acquire players via franchise-tag offer sheets. In fact, it has happened only once. In 1998, the Panthers gave up two first-round picks to sign Redskins nose tackle Sean Gilbert to a seven-year, $46.5 million contract. It's better to get something (via a tag and trade) than nothing (via an unsigned franchise player who holds out). In this case, the tag becomes a tool for trade leverage.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28788235/2020-nfl-franchise-transition-tags-primer-candidates-everything-need-know

2 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

That is correct.

However most of the recent moves for franchise tagged players is via trades which doesn't carry the same designated compensation, No one is signing Chris Jones and handing over 2 first round picks though.

It's not even just the recent ones. According to that ESPN link above, only once - ever - has a team gotten 2 first round picks on a franchise tagged player.

1 minute ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

That is correct.

Right, but like I said, they won’t be trading him to a likely AFC rival

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

Right, but like I said, they won’t be trading him to a likely AFC rival

The Chiefs are going all out to win another SB before they have to pay Mahomes $40+ million a season, they aren't trading away Jones ahead of this upcoming season.

43 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I defer to Jonboy's post above. I mean, you're right that it's the rules that they get 2 1sts, but they don't have to take 2 1sts, especially if they're leaning more toward trading him than not.

Having said that, Aussie is probably also right above that they don't want to trade him so they probably would demand 2 1sts... which means, either way, that JRob isn't likely going to go that route.

I digress... back to Clowney Watch.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

5 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

The Chiefs are going all out to win another SB before they have to pay Mahomes $40+ million a season, they aren't trading away Jones ahead of this upcoming season.

The Chiefs are sitting on zero CAP money right now.

Trading Jones for draft picks might not be a bad option for them with their CAP scenario.

Of course they are but their CAP situation is real.  Now it might take two 1st round picks for them to make a move.  

They really need to dump someone like Watkins.  They have negative CAP space right now.

5 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Of course they are but their CAP situation is real.  Now it might take two 1st round picks for them to make a move.  

They really need to dump someone like Watkins.  They have negative CAP space right now.

I was under the impression that Watkins was going to be dealt or released. 

3 hours ago, Soxcat said:

He might bring a 7th round pick like Casey did but not many teams want to pay that salary.  

He’s going to bring more than that. He’s only 25. 

Doesn't matter.  He is grossly over paid.  Watkins has never been a #1 type WR and more of a complimentary guy.  Because of his contract he won't bring much.

Finally a legit update. FYI in advance...the Titans aren’t mentioned. Basically, per Schefter, he wants too much and won’t be signed until he drops his asking price. 

So assuming the Titans don’t sign Clowney - what’s the plan for actually improving the team over last year?