The Never-ending Saga of Jadeveon Clowney

tgo

15 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

There's no guarantee it would take 2 1st round picks. I mean, that was the gist I got from a reply from @Jonboy a couple days ago at least.

that’s the rules, so yes it’s a guarantee. If you sign a non-exclusive franchise player to a contract offer and the original team doesn’t match, they get 2 1st round picks from you. 

Edited by Starkiller

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take this for what it’s worth, when i broke the Lewan suspension hours and hours before any media members did - the same guy who slipped that to me just texted me and said that Clowney has already agr

Jurrell Casey died for this.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

that’s the rules, so yes it’s a guarantee. If you sign a non-exclusive franchise player to a contract offer and the original team doesn’t match, they get 2 1st round picks from you. 

That is correct.

However most of the recent moves for franchise tagged players is via trades which doesn't carry the same designated compensation, No one is signing Chris Jones and handing over 2 first round picks though.

11 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Not sure the context of the discussion, but saw NN tagged me. Teams never get the 2 first round picks. If they want to trade them, they can trade a player for less than the 2 first round picks.

More here:

On 3/19/2020 at 12:50 AM, Jonboy said:

Sorry, of course I was referring to the quote you posted. This article explains what I was trying to say:

Why would a team tag and then trade a player, rather than tag him and wait to get two first-round picks?

Because NFL teams almost never acquire players via franchise-tag offer sheets. In fact, it has happened only once. In 1998, the Panthers gave up two first-round picks to sign Redskins nose tackle Sean Gilbert to a seven-year, $46.5 million contract. It's better to get something (via a tag and trade) than nothing (via an unsigned franchise player who holds out). In this case, the tag becomes a tool for trade leverage.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28788235/2020-nfl-franchise-transition-tags-primer-candidates-everything-need-know

2 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

That is correct.

However most of the recent moves for franchise tagged players is via trades which doesn't carry the same designated compensation, No one is signing Chris Jones and handing over 2 first round picks though.

It's not even just the recent ones. According to that ESPN link above, only once - ever - has a team gotten 2 first round picks on a franchise tagged player.

1 minute ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

That is correct.

Right, but like I said, they won’t be trading him to a likely AFC rival

43 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I defer to Jonboy's post above. I mean, you're right that it's the rules that they get 2 1sts, but they don't have to take 2 1sts, especially if they're leaning more toward trading him than not.

Having said that, Aussie is probably also right above that they don't want to trade him so they probably would demand 2 1sts... which means, either way, that JRob isn't likely going to go that route.

I digress... back to Clowney Watch.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

5 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Of course they are but their CAP situation is real.  Now it might take two 1st round picks for them to make a move.  

They really need to dump someone like Watkins.  They have negative CAP space right now.

I was under the impression that Watkins was going to be dealt or released. 

Finally a legit update. FYI in advance...the Titans aren’t mentioned. Basically, per Schefter, he wants too much and won’t be signed until he drops his asking price. 

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

So assuming the Titans don’t sign Clowney - what’s the plan for actually improving the team over last year?

Sign a new DL and draft well.

Clowney can just wait until after the draft. See who is getting a little more desperate.

Edited by Starkiller

• TitansGuru changed the title to The Never-ending Saga of Jadeveon Clowney
  • Jonboy locked this topic