tgo

The Never-ending Saga of Jadeveon Clowney

BTW the idea that sack numbers matter more than pressure rate is the same idiocy as completion percentage equaling accuracy for  QB.

Pressure rate is way more important than sacks and accuracy is way more important than completion %.  The Titans pressure rate was something like 26th or so and one reason why they fell short in the end.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:34 PM, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Front 4 of Landry/Casey/Simmons/Clowney would be fun, but you would have to be terrified of giving Clowney a big money contract given his injury issues. 

And he's not exactly getting the sacks to justify the money either. 

My biggest issue with Clowney is he's hyped to be this monster pass rusher on the field. Despite being on the field with players better than him his entire career, guys like Watt getting doubled every play, he's failed to put up good sack numbers. I'm not paying that kinda money for Derrick Morgan/Orakpo numbers. 

41 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

BTW the idea that sack numbers matter more than pressure rate is the same idiocy as completion percentage equaling accuracy for  QB.

Pressure rate is way more important than sacks and accuracy is way more important than completion %.  The Titans pressure rate was something like 26th or so and one reason why they fell short in the end.

I'm pretty sure I could get a "pressure" if I was on the field with Watt and Mercilus. 

3 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

This motherfucker literally just said almost getting a sack is more important than getting a sack. 

That's your takeaway?  Good god.  Too bad the Tornado didn't cull you the other day.....

10 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

His 3 sacks were pathetic.  Never said pressure rates weren't important or that he was a poor player.  Keep making shit up.  A super stud $20 mil a year DE with only three sacks in a season is SHIT and pathetic.  Sorry if that reality doesn't make sense to you.  You must be a grand moron if that is hard to understand.  Yea but but but, his DL sucked, his body was injured, and he had a problem with his hands so he kept getting close to the QB but could not get a grip on him.  Fucking moron.

Oh, normally a HIGH pressure guy helps his teammates get sacks.  That is the idea anyway, they run the QB into other players.  

So on one end of the spectrum we have a full retard insisting that a paltry 3 sacks says NOTHING about how valuable a guy is.  It isn't that sacks aren't the only thing for this twat, it is that sack stat are meaningless for this mindless fuck.  Because you see, having only 3 sacks is close to ZERO.  So this mindless tard is basically arguing that sacks are meaningless.  All these years we assumed the best pass rusher got a bunch of sacks but today we have revelation.  The best pass rushers were the guys with only 3 sacks all the time and even the HOF is littered with high sack guys unworthy of that place they have.  In fact Michael Strahan had 141 sacks in his career but hey, that tells us nothing about his real pass rush skills.  Yea, we get it now.  Dumbass.  

Not anything close to what I said. Clowney's pressure rate was good and his play as an edge was good.  He was ranked as the 22nd best defensive player in the NFL in terms of PFF grade.......34th overall in terms of pass rush grade overall.....Casey was the top Titan front 7 player in the pass rush grade at 150......The best Titan defender overall was Byard at 54.

Clowney is a very good edge player and to simply focus on sacks as justification for him not being so says more about your ignorance than anything else. 

On 3/2/2020 at 7:50 PM, GOAT9 said:

Pass on Clowney. His production doesn't match his cap demands. 

On 3/3/2020 at 5:07 AM, OILERMAN said:

I wouldn't pay Clowney 

He coasted his final year in college once he knew he was going to be paid as a top draft pick, it's scares me what might happen once he gets really paid.

Edited by No1TitansFan

20 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Gee grandpa you just said he was "good".  I want better than good if we are going to pay him $20 mil.

My argument was not that Clowney sucks but that he isn't good enough to pay all that money.

And you can keep making every excuse in the book to justify his 3 sacks but you look pathetic doing it.

Wrong.  I said he was very good and all of the analytics, not to mention the fact that he will get 20 million a year, back me up.  

Sacks are not the end-all be-all when judging the quality of the player.  His PFF defense of grade was higher than any Titans in 2019. His pressure rate was better than any Titans front seven player as well.  

It’s clear you have no idea what you’re talking about especially when you try and Dave in talking about Seahawks personnel. Of course, whenever you actually had a cognitive football thought on this board. I’ve never seen one from you.  

Clowney worries me as someone who will quit after he's paid.  He appeared to be half-assing during his Junior year at SC, and he never lived up to his billing as a generational talent in the NFL. He doesn't seem like a highly competitive individual, just an exceptionally gifted one .

20 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

It isn't about cognitive football thought on this board it is the arrogant asshole attitude you have trying to defend 3 fing sacks in a season.  Call me stupid...

OK, you ARE stupid and everyone here knows it...... 

As for PFF, it accurately shows him as a very good player.  In the regular season, his grade was 87.3 - 22nd overall and 9th in the Edge category.   Better than any Titan.....

Cry about the sacks all you fucking want to but pressure rate, disruption, and overall good play is more important.  He's going to get around 20 M a year for a reason.   

Fuck Off and have a bad day :)

BLAH BLAH BLAH......Not anything close to what I've said - more evidence you have no idea about football......And yes you did focus on sacks as your argument and I correctly called you out on it.  Just like I called out you tards for making every excuse known to man for Mariota......

BTW - the idea Seattle doesn't want to resign him is 100% wrong.  The only reason he's not franchised is because he negotiated it to agree to the trade......

So kindly fuck off.

Didn't Clowney come into the league with a knee injury that was going to shorten his career?  If so he may be approaching his limit so I wouldn't give him a long term deal.

3 hours ago, h4t said:

Didn't Clowney come into the league with a knee injury that was going to shorten his career?  If so he may be approaching his limit so I wouldn't give him a long term deal.

Yeah, he had micro-fracture surgery his rookie year...