The Never-ending Saga of Jadeveon Clowney

tgo

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take this for what it’s worth, when i broke the Lewan suspension hours and hours before any media members did - the same guy who slipped that to me just texted me and said that Clowney has already agr

Jurrell Casey died for this.

Posted Images

On 6/8/2020 at 2:14 PM, IowaOiler said:

The league was so different then.  It was center-dominated, and both of those championship came against other teams with a dominate center...they just weren't as dominate as Hakeem.  What he did to Robinson in '95 is still something I love to think about.  Totally destroyed the league MVP.

It might be possible that Hakeem was actually underrated. I don’t think at the time people understood just how dominant he was. He was thought of as one of a bat h of great centers, most even considered him the best of that era, but a very close margin. He had similar stats to guys like Ewing & Robinson. But then you think of those series, the one you mentioned where he destroyed the Sheriff & I watched him bend Ewing over in the ‘92 finals. The Dream was just an absolute beast..

29 minutes ago, Face said:

It might be possible that Hakeem was actually underrated. I don’t think at the time people understood just how dominant he was. He was thought of as one of a bat h of great centers, most even considered him the best of that era, but a very close margin. He had similar stats to guys like Ewing & Robinson. But then you think of those series, the one you mentioned where he destroyed the Sheriff & I watched him bend Ewing over in the ‘92 finals. The Dream was just an absolute beast..

18 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Seems even TR is just over it at this point ?.  

Yeah, it’s grown stale. At this point it’s obvious who his suitors are and the offers he has gotten from good teams won’t get better. I feel like he’s just trying to skip as much offseason program work as he can before signing somewhere 

4 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Reading those reports out of Cleveland it looks like the Browns are the only known team still in active negotiations with Clowney.

I get that Jrob is going to do what's best for the team Clowney fits our biggest weakness right now and would immediately be our best DL.

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Reading those reports out of Cleveland it looks like the Browns are the only known team still in active negotiations with Clowney.

I didn't get that at all from reading the article.  I got that they had negotiated with him in the past but now their focus is on Garrett.  And they still think they can sign him later on since he's still there but they weren't still talking with him as of right now and that things were at a standstill.

32 minutes ago, rns90 said:

I didn't get that at all from reading the article.  I got that they had negotiated with him in the past but now their focus is on Garrett.  And they still think they can sign him later on since he's still there but they weren't still talking with him as of right now and that things were at a standstill.

There was a report floating around that Garrett's/Clowney's agent Bus Cook was actively in discussions with the Browns about both players.

Who knows what is really going on but it does seem that both the Seahawks/Titans are happy to sit back and let Clowney approach them rather than aggressively pursuing him, the Browns on the other hand seem to be the team that is actively chasing him.

For teams that are patient there might be a few more big name players become available if the expected purge of expensive veterans with no/little guaranteed money happens before training camps open, some NFL reporters are hearing from agents that teams are really concerned what might happen with the salary cap over the next couple of years and want to start creating some room immediately. 

10 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

The Browns need a competent coaching staff, they already have more than enough talent to win.  If they bring in Clowney, then soon they will start losing the team before it can jell.

12 minutes ago, Number9 said:

The Browns need a competent coaching staff, they already have more than enough talent to win.  If they bring in Clowney, then soon they will start losing the team before it can jell.

That's another thing, how will these guys  react when Clowney takes days off during the week to rest his repaired knee.

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

That's another thing, how will these guys  react when Clowney takes days off during the week to rest his repaired knee.

Clowney from what I have heard is not a leader.  The Titans and the Seahawks have a somewhat disciplined roster.  The Titans have players who train and play hard.  Vrabel is familiar with Clowney and thinks he can make it work.  Cleveland has a lot of pieces.  Garrett is young, emotional.  Mayfield is just starting to understand he's not the greatest thing that ever happened to football.  OBJ is OBJ.  Another new coach.  A lot of other really good young players.  Cleveland is already an assortment of pieces that hasn't learned how to win consistently together.

The Titans don't even get a mention in Albert Breer's update on Clowney in his MMQB Column today.

Jadeveon Clowney’s situation continues to be complicated. And I think it’s of note that the Browns are willing to pay a good rate (I’ve heard they’d be O.K. going to the $15 million range on a one-year deal) to get him, and he remains unsigned. That tells me a couple things. One, that Clowney’s financial desires are still a barrier to getting a deal done. And two, that those desires may come on a sliding scale, based on destination. 

Clowney, talented as he is, doesn’t come without strings attached. There have been questions about how dedicated he’s been to the mental side of the game, which contributed to how he fell out of favor in Houston, and that’s reflected on tape that still shows a guy relying on his physical ability above all else. That said, one coach who has evaluated Clowney as a potential player to sign this offseason told me Saturday, “He’s still fast and big and long, and can change direction and track people down whenever he wants to.”

So after six months, the question still hinges on what team will meet his price, and how his price may differ from one place to the next. And we’ve said this from the jump—going somewhere on a one-year deal, with a plan to crush it in the fall, and hit the market again next winter, seems to be the most sensible option now for Clowney. Seattle, because of his familiarity with the program and system, seems like the ideal place to carry out that plan. But the Browns, who’ll run a variation of the Seattle defensive scheme and have Myles Garrett to play opposite him, wouldn’t be the worst choice either. That’s so long as Clowney can get past their past. And we’ll see on that.

Just as I thought. Clowney sucks because he's a head case who doesn't study. It's time to close this book.

We have Landry, Evans, Beasley, Correa, Roberson to rush the passer and blitz the ball carrier. Big Jeff, Jones, Crawford. Gonna be just fine. 

Top 5 defense. 

• Jonboy locked this topic