The Never-ending Saga of Jadeveon Clowney

tgo

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take this for what it’s worth, when i broke the Lewan suspension hours and hours before any media members did - the same guy who slipped that to me just texted me and said that Clowney has already agr

Jurrell Casey died for this.

Posted Images

So if reports are to be believed the Dolphins/Browns/Seahawks have all offered larger deals to Clowney than the Titans, also according to Russini on Get Up today the Eagles also put an offer in front of Clowney.

I just don't think the Titans are financially aggressively chasing Clowney, there is obvious interest from the Titans but it feels that interest is only if he is prepared to sign for a 1yr cut price deal.

49 minutes ago, japan said:

Didn’t they jettison the moneyball guys?

Only one of them. The main moneyball guy is still the top guy and the whole operation is still analytics driven which is how Haslam wants it. 

They wanted Dorsey out because he wasnt an analytics guy and the new GM and HC are, and are on the same page about it. 

Edited by tgo

10 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

So if reports are to be believed the Dolphins/Browns/Seahawks have all offered larger deals to Clowney than the Titans, also according to Russini on Get Up today the Eagles also put an offer in front of Clowney.

I just don't think the Titans are financially aggressively chasing Clowney, there is obvious interest from the Titans but it feels that interest is only if he is prepared to sign for a 1yr cut price deal.

Well we don't know how much the Titans have offered him.  And on the Eagles, according to Adam Caplan, they won't offer him more than 10 million (at the most).  Again, it's hard to know how much the Titans will ultimately offer without having their doctors look at him.

I just don't think you can make that determination about how aggressive they are/aren't chasing him.  I mean JR even said that his physical condition is a big factor in the compesnation.

Can someone point me out to some credible report to what the Titans have supposedly offered?  And please don't use John Clayton's "I think Tennessee offered 10 million" report or stuff like that as he's just guessing.  They probably haven't offered 17-18 million that's for sure. 

Edited by rns90

54 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Well we don't know how much the Titans have offered him.  And on the Eagles, according to Adam Caplan, they won't offer him more than 10 million (at the most).  Again, it's hard to know how much the Titans will ultimately offer without having their doctors look at him.

I just don't think you can make that determination about how aggressive they are/aren't chasing him.  I mean JR even said that his physical condition is a big factor in the compesnation.

Can someone point me out to some credible report to what the Titans have supposedly offered?  And please don't use John Clayton's "I think Tennessee offered 10 million" report or stuff like that as he's just guessing.  They probably haven't offered 17-18 million that's for sure. 

Most of the reports suggest the Titans are on the fringes monitoring the Clowney situation not aggressively pursuing him like some other teams.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/pelissero-titans-continue-to-monitor-clowney-in-free-agency

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

They have signed some high-priced free agents so I don't see the big "money ball" analytics here.     Basically money ball is about getting the high value low priced guys and it simply doesn't work the same in the NFL.  If a team were really going to play that they would get middle priced guys at WR for example that can produce at a rate higher than their pay.  Not go out and find the highest priced WRs on the market.  And on top of that they traded for them.  Landry and Beckham are the 2nd and 3rd highest paid players on the roster.   Behind Vernon at $15 mil a year.  They are also paying Sheldon Richardson $12 mil a year.  Seems like the exactly opposite of money ball to me.  

They just signed Conklin.  Could sign Clowney.  Conklin's deal, at only 25 yr old, is a short 3 year deal.  Does that make sense?  Yea, $14 a year for a right tackle is fairly high but $14 a year will be decent value when he is only 28 years old and in the prime of his career.  

Paul DePodesta is the VP of Strategy still and they hired Andrew Berry as GM who is really heavy into analytics, as is Stefanski. I've read a lot about how they want the whole org bought into analytics. 

Maybe "Moneyball" isn't the exact right terminology for their strategy now - but their head VP is literally the guy who invented "Moneyball." 

Money ball doesn’t make sense in the NFL. Everyone, more or less, has the same amount of money to blow. 

The analytics revolution has more so been about finding stats that other teams don’t know of or find valuable and exploiting them.

For instance John Robinson (most likely) uses PFF religiously. A few years ago probably half the front offices didn’t even use PFF so that gives JRob an advantage when scouting and signing guys. Now that’s an obvious one but there are probably a few statistics that no one has heard of yet that the titans or more analytics heavy teams are using to scout players. Keeping these stats under wraps is part of the game too.

Darrel Morey of the Houston Rockets has a great interview on the Bill Simmons pod where he discusses trading for Shane Battier in the late 2000’s. They had a really hard time getting the ball to Yao and they started coming up with statistics on post entry passes. They found that Battier was a solid player who wasn’t supremely valued by the rest of the league but was one of the best two or three guys in the league at making this pass that the rockets so desperately needed. They ended up getting Battier for a bargain and he was very valuable to them for years. 

22 hours ago, Thrill said:

Money ball doesn’t make sense in the NFL. Everyone, more or less, has the same amount of money to blow. 

The analytics revolution has more so been about finding stats that other teams don’t know of or find valuable and exploiting them.

Not really. Its about getting the most bang for your buck. Even rich teams benefit from that.

21 hours ago, Thrill said:

Darrel Morey of the Houston Rockets has a great interview on the Bill Simmons pod where he discusses trading for Shane Battier in the late 2000’s. They had a really hard time getting the ball to Yao and they started coming up with statistics on post entry passes. They found that Battier was a solid player who wasn’t supremely valued by the rest of the league but was one of the best two or three guys in the league at making this pass that the rockets so desperately needed. They ended up getting Battier for a bargain and he was very valuable to them for years. 

That was a horrible trade. The Rockets are a failed experiment with Morrey at the helm.

Saw lil snippet earlier,same shit we’ve been hearing.Browns offered him a boatload and they were close to a deal but didn’t formalize.Us and Seattle have made offers basically monitoring the situation yada yada...

5 minutes ago, JMoney420 said:

Saw lil snippet earlier,same shit we’ve been hearing.Browns offered him a boatload and they were close to a deal but didn’t formalize.Us and Seattle have made offers basically monitoring the situation yada yada...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dawgpounddaily.com/2020/05/30/daquan-jones-cleveland-browns-trade/amp/

Have fun with that lol.

14 minutes ago, Callidus said:

LOL, this sounds like the Browns fan version of something kyle would bring up here.  Clown writer just looked at overthecap and not the value of the players--like Smith and Brown on our roster.

11 hours ago, oldschool said:

That was a horrible trade. The Rockets are a failed experiment with Morrey at the helm.

What? They've missed the playoffs like one time in the last 15 years and been to multiple conference finals. 

• Jonboy locked this topic