2 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Perfect... frees up a space for them to draft Henry Ruggs III.

If they wanted to do something stupid, sure.

41 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are shopping Humphries.  He takes up a good amount of cap and we are obviously destined to run heavy formations for the rest of eternity.  Maybe him to TB in exchange for OJ Howard.  He'd be great in Pruitt's role.

It's possible but I'd hope not. Hopefully they lean on Henry as Tannehill starts to take over the offense in the next couple years.

The silver lining is that Casey was traded to a team with whom he could thrive, as opposed to one with unrealistic ambitions, desperation, and a ton of cap space like the Jets.  I think that Robinson took that into consideration.

Edited by abc2330

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I really feel for Casey. The NFL is a business, but he's still human. And he's given everything he's had to this organization ever since he stepped foot in Nashville. He's been a steady presence for us the whole time. And now he's gotta uproot his family and move them across the country, which is a stressful enough thing in normal times without an unseen enemy trying to attack everybody.

Having said that, the NFL is a business. And the best businessmen make the right tough decisions even when they hurt. It's what separates someone like JRob from some scrub ass GM like Webster. Webster would've kept Casey around until his legs fell off with nothing to show for it except a gaping hole on the depth chart. Casey's value will never be higher than it is right now as he'll only get older and his play only diminish. And for as badly as I feel for Casey, the dude is a multi-millionaire who is gonna keep cashin them checks. He's just going to be cashing them in a different city for a different team. He'll be aight. And so will we.

I’ve seen multiple people make the point that “his value” will never be higher. I understand that logic but it really doesn’t apply to the situation. You got a 7th round pick, if you got a 3rd or 4th then that thinking works. Couldn’t we release him with no money next year?

assuming so, you got a 7th round pick for someone who will arguably be better than anyone you get in free agency right now for 10 million you saved from him..

what am I missing? I want to like it but it doesn’t make any sense. Bad move unless that cap is used for a great piece on defense... 

1 minute ago, Bmoneyjones said:

I’ve seen multiple people make the point that “his value” will never be higher. I understand that logic but it really doesn’t apply to the situation. You got a 7th round pick, if you got a 3rd or 4th then that thinking works. Couldn’t we release him with no money next year?

assuming so, you got a 7th round pick for someone who will arguably be better than anyone you get in free agency right now for 10 million you saved from him..

what am I missing? I want to like it but it doesn’t make any sense. Bad move unless that cap is used for a great piece on defense... 

The fact that a 7th may have been all anyone was offering? Any team they were trading with was going to have to agree to take on Casey's contract, which wasn't on the cheap side for a guy his age. So a team is going to trade the Titans a 3rd/4th round pick and take on his contract? Nah.

As for the Titans, the value isn't just in the pick they got, it was also in the cap space they freed up. That was the biggest value in the trade. The question is what they freed it up for... which is for something we'll just have to wait and see.

14 minutes ago, Bmoneyjones said:

They replaced him last draft. 

5 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I’m sure the Titans put Casey out there and traded him to the team that made the best offer (other than maybe in the division). The fact that no one offered better than Denver's 7th rounder says a lot.

Exactly. 

I could understand people wringing their hands over this move if JRob were in his 1st or 2nd year on the job. But he's entering his 5th year on the job, a couple months removed from seeing the team he's been building get within 2 quarters of it's first Super Bowl appearance in 2 decades. He's had some missteps, as any GM will, but he's hit on more than he's missed and has proven himself a competent decision maker. A lot of fans are letting emotions lead out in front on this move because Casey has been a cornerstone since the dark days of Ruston and Fat Tom. They're valuing him from that standpoint. I understand, but they need to just let the man (JR) work.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

Not sure if it’s been explicitly mentioned but this is obviously why they were pursuing Reader. 

Could this mean they’d be interested in another pure nose tackle like Damon Harrison or Suh? 

Edited by tgo

2 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

The fact that a 7th may have been all anyone was offering? Any team they were trading with was going to have to agree to take on Casey's contract, which wasn't on the cheap side for a guy his age. So a team is going to trade the Titans a 3rd/4th round pick and take on his contract? Nah.

As for the Titans, the value isn't just in the pick they got, it was also in the cap space they freed up. That was the biggest value in the trade. The question is what they freed it up for... which is for something we'll just have to wait and see.

Yup.  If the Titans wanted a higher draft pick they probably would have had to kick in money (probably like MIA did for Tannehill).  They wanted the salary cap space and DEN was the only one that would take the entire contract.

17 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

People need to forget about the trade aspect of this transaction. This was not a move to acquire draft capital. 

Casey was 31, had a huge salary and his performance went down to its lowest point this past season. He also missed games because of injury.  

John Robinson decided his production wasn't worth the salary. He's almost certainly right. Forget the past and look at what kind of player he is right now. 

Do you realize you're talking to a bunch of guys who are still stuck on the college careers of VY and Mariota?

16 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Reese probably did the worst job with the cap in history after the Titans became a contender. The players he extended were just terrible roster management 

Remember all the posters on the old board who thought Reese was the gold standard and then after he left it took him 3 years to find a job and it was only to be a jizz mopper for the Pats?

18 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Remember all the posters on the old board who thought Reese was the gold standard and then after he left it took him 3 years to find a job and it was only to be a jizz mopper for the Pats?

With his tongue

25 minutes ago, abenjami said:

And then we brought in Reinfeldt/Fisher and Webster...

5 minutes ago, japan said:

And then we brought in Reinfeldt/Fisher and Webster...

That doesn't make the Reese posters right.