Titans Trade Casey

tgo

15 hours ago, AvgJoe said:

It’s gotta be for something. We only got a 7th rounder and he had a big salary. They’ve got to be clear space for something.

Gotta clear space for Tannehill's monster $30M/year contract.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Patriot way. Get rid of players a year early rather than a year late. I would have expected a better pick though, maybe a 3rd or 4th. a 7th is kind of insulting.

Wow I’m actually sad to see him go. One of my favorite players. Always gave full effort even when we were the worst team in the league.    I’ll never forget him chasing down a WR (TE?) from beh

Lot of cap ignorance in this thread....

Posted Images

People need to forget about the trade aspect of this transaction. This was not a move to acquire draft capital. 

Casey was 31, had a huge salary and his performance went down to its lowest point this past season. He also missed games because of injury.  

John Robinson decided his production wasn't worth the salary. He's almost certainly right. Forget the past and look at what kind of player he is right now. 

Very interesting call into Bill Polian on Sirius XM last night by Kyle from MO.  Was talking about the DeForest Buckner trade and losing a player in his prime vs. the Casey trade.  There was really too much talk about Casey to be Kyle we knew as a Titan fan a few months ago.

Edited by FRT

Clowney actually makes a lot more sense right now. He's a better rusher inside, he can play the edge on early downs & kick inside on 3rd down for Beasley. I wasn't as big on Clowney as others but if this is the plan I'm all in.

11 minutes ago, ctm said:

20 years ago when Reese and Fisher were here, we'd be reading news about extending Bruce Matthews.

Reese probably did the worst job with the cap in history after the Titans became a contender. The players he extended were just terrible roster management 

In fairness teams have learned a lot since then overall but Robinson def gets it

I certainly think this trade could mean there's something in the works but that's far from certain. Next thing we know it's going to be next offseason & then the next & the next. Guys like Adoree will be coming up. What if Corey Davis explodes his year? Jayon Brown? What if a unique opportunity opens up with a real elite guy somewhere else?

You never want to be cheap, but there's cheap & there's prudent. I used to think cap space wasn't a big deal anymore but it's huge. Flexibility is paramount. The teams with no space can't be aggressive, their offseasons are reactionary.

4 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Reese probably did the worst job with the cap in history after the Titans became a contender. The players he extended were just terrible roster management 

In fairness teams have learned a lot since then overall but Robinson def gets it

The Eddie signing was brutal but in fairness that was back in the prehistoric days, before analytics, when basically everybody valued RB's second to only QB. 

5 minutes ago, Face said:

The Eddie signing was brutal but in fairness that was back in the prehistoric days, before analytics, when basically everybody valued RB's second to only QB. 

Back then I think some valued RBs even more than QBs.

6 hours ago, titanfan24 said:

I completely get the business side of this deal, but man, I hate seeing Jurrell go. Such a great guy in the community and a heckuva player. I wanted to see him retire a Titan. 

My thoughts exactly.

The NFL has a saying:   "It's better to part ways with a player a year too soon than to keep him a year too long".    Casey is still an impact player and obviously made his presence felt last year.....but he wasn't as much of a force as he had been in previous years.      I imagine Jurrell still has at least a couple good years ahead of him...but as one of the higher-paid DL in the league, it's fair to question whether his level of play will continue to justify his salary.

For months, this forum has been discussing the various contracts that were expiring and the salary cap implications.   We knew JRob would have some difficult decisions to make;  no matter what happened, the team would have to part ways with some talented, popular players.     Most of the moves we've seen thus far were fully anticipated;  trading Casey for peanuts is the first move that really wasn't expected.

It's a double-edged sword for fans:  on one hand, JRob is showing that he's 100% focused on the big picture and making decisions based on the team's long-term interests.   But by the same token,  there will be tough decisions to make every single year....and noone is untouchable.

It's much more likely that the Titans draft a DL with a high pick than sign an expensive guy in free agency, imo.  There are several DL guys who would fit and are rated around #29.

Edited by ctm

1 hour ago, ctm said:

It's much more likely that the Titans draft a DL with a high pick than sign an expensive guy in free agency, imo.  There are several DL guys who would fit and are rated around #29.

I would think the guys left in FA other than Harris and maybe Wolfe won't be terribly expensive. 

Regardless, we can now certainly draft a DL early unless we make a trade move. Depending on remaining FA or trade moves, we may end up with tremendous flexibility between rounds 1 through 3.