Defensive Backs

Fitz

We are set at safety with Byard, Vaccaro, Hooker, Cruikshank, and Kalu.

Cornerback is a big need however.  We only have 3 guys under contract, (Jackson, Butler, Orr).

Adoree is solid.

Butler has been average and definitely hasn't lived up to his huge cap hit. At 30 years old he isn't getting any faster either.

I'd be in favor of cutting Butler and getting Ryan back under contract.  Brock is 31, but he was solid for us at the end of the year, wouldn't mind bringing him back on a one year deal. Durden, Sims, and Smith are also still available.

Going into the draft needing this much help at corner isn't an option, how do you guys think this plays out?

Butler's PFF grade last season was a 65.5, that's not terrible, but it's certainly not top ten. 

Adoree finished 76.3, Brock finished 68.7

At 13.3 million Butler is currently the 4th highest paid player on the team. 

There will be a couple of lower cost free agent CB added before the draft, also as we sit here today CB is probably the early favorite for pick #29 in the 2021 draft, important to remember that its probably Butler's final season as a Titan in 2020 and JRob will want to get a early round pick into the system and ready to take over from Butler in 2021.

The team declined to tender Tye Smith who was a RFA and an original 5th rounder.  He would have cost around 2M.   They are probably going cheap with the last couple of spots.

35 minutes ago, ctm said:

The team declined to tender Tye Smith who was a RFA and an original 5th rounder.  He would have cost around 2M.   They are probably going cheap with the last couple of spots.

No way can the 4th/5th CB make 2 mill

3 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Exactly, we are down to to a few million to spend before we have to think pf the draft and reserve cash for the season.

Jones, Casey and Butler all need to restructure IMO.

33 minutes ago, Guts said:

Jones, Casey and Butler all need to restructure IMO.

We would all love for everyone to get paid less. But this is the real world. I personally would take 10 a year as henry and run. But that isn't how things go. If we offered them extensions to take a small cut this year we might get them to do it.

1 minute ago, Callidus said:

We would all love for everyone to get paid less. But this is the real world. I personally would take 10 a year as henry and run. But that isn't how things go. If we offered them extensions to take a small cut this year we might get them to do it.

Steelers restructured 5 contracts the other day converting a portion to signing bonuses, saving them roughly 20 mil.  I'm sure something can be done with a combination of those guys I've listed to give us a little bit more flexibility.