Sign in to follow this  
OILERMAN

Jonnu Smith and Jayon Brown top priorities in my opinion

Yeah I agree with this. Hopefully we can structure these in such a way where we add an impact player on D (Clowney, Fowler, Reader, Golden) and get these guys extended.

I don't think this will happen.  I see the Tannehill contract being a one year shot to win it all, with a team option to keep him longer term or cut bait based on next year's performance.

He took less money this year to keep some cap space free to upgrade the roster, not to extend young guys who are still under contract.

If Tannehill doesn't perform this year, they will draft a QB in the first next year.

10 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Brown is great and an important piece. But David Long JR filled in incredibly well for him and looked like one of the better players on the field. May effect JBs price 

They are very different players though. Long is an excellent run stopper but I would never trust him on passing downs the way I trust Brown. 

They should absolutely look to extend Jonnu and Brown this offseason. Wait until after the draft and see the cap situation, but those guys are absolutely keepers who will only get more expensive in a year. 

I made a similar thread about Smith.  TEs are dirt cheap at the time, especially with the value that dynamic receiving TEs like Smith provide.  Kittle could completely reset the market and inflate the cost of all TEs once he receives a new deal, so the focus should be on completing a deal before then.

9 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I don't think this will happen.  I see the Tannehill contract being a one year shot to win it all, with a team option to keep him longer term or cut bait based on next year's performance.

He took less money this year to keep some cap space free to upgrade the roster, not to extend young guys who are still under contract.

If Tannehill doesn't perform this year, they will draft a QB in the first next year.

Disagree on this take.  For the Titans to bail on the contract after one year, they would have to eat $39.5 million in dead money next year as the Titans have already fully guaranteed the $20 million signing bonus and the base salaries for 2020 and 2021. That’s never gonna happen. The real deal is three years for 91 million guaranteed with 32 million non-guaranteed in the fourth year as a base salary.

Realistically, Tannehill is the starting quarterback through 2022 and the only scenario where he’s not as if he has a career ending injury or becomes the highest paid back up in league history.

2 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Disagree on this take.  For the Titans to bail on the contract after one year, they would have to eat $39.5 million in dead money next year as the Titans have already fully guaranteed the $20 million signing bonus and the base salaries for 2020 and 2021. That’s never gonna happen. The real deal is three years for 91 million guaranteed with 32 million non-guaranteed in the fourth year as a base salary.

Realistically, Tannehill is the starting quarterback through 2022 and the only scenario where he’s not as if he has a career ending injury or becomes the highest paid back up in league history.

I'm not saying they will bail after year 1.  If he flounders this year, they won't cut him but there won't be a year 3.  He'll be the starter in year 2 but next off season will be about finding the QBOF.

6 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I'm not saying they will bail after year 1.  If he flounders this year, they won't cut him but there won't be a year 3.  He'll be the starter in year 2 but next off season will be about finding the QBOF.

Well if they move on after year 2, his dead money in 2022 would be 39 M as the 2022 base salary of 29 M would be guaranteed already.  Yes they could move on but that's a lot of money to eat with no ROI.

22 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Well if they move on after year 2, his dead money in 2022 would be 39 M as the 2022 base salary of 29 M would be guaranteed already.  Yes they could move on but that's a lot of money to eat with no ROI.

8 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Pretty sure you have to move on after year 1 or year 3 in RTs deal to save the most space. 

Yeah I think you both are right now that I've seen the full details of RT's deal.