Titans and Tannehill on Verge of Multi-year Deal (UPDATE: Now official)

abenjami

5 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

You think we may look to draft a QB anyway considering this? Regardless of how long Tanny plays on this deal he's going to need a backup anyway and drafting someone to sit behind him and learn wouldn't be any different from what NE did with Jimmy G. They got him in the 2nd and he sat for 3 years.

If Tanny were 27, 28 years old there wouldn't even be a need to wonder. We'd just sign a vet to play behind him, but Tanny will be 32 in July. Many QBs don't play into their late 30s the way some do. If Tanny happened to still playing at a high level 2 or 3 years at the age of 34/35, then the guy we take this year could prove to be good trade fodder at that point. Or, if he has proven to be a good replacement for Tannehill, just keep him and cut Tanny loose.

I think drafting a QB is very much on the table

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you got chocolate in my peanut butter!   * Aussies and millennials may not get this reference

Did Righteous ever show his face after we signed Tannehill?

Posted Images

Just now, reo said:

Could they sign Henry and tag Conklin?

Rappaport says that they have not had much progress with Henry.  He's getting tagged.  Conkin is gone IMO unless you do a long term deal (which one can argue has some merit).

8 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

You think we may look to draft a QB anyway considering this? Regardless of how long Tanny plays on this deal he's going to need a backup anyway and drafting someone to sit behind him and learn wouldn't be any different from what NE did with Jimmy G. They got him in the 2nd and he sat for 3 years.

If Tanny were 27, 28 years old there wouldn't even be a need to wonder. We'd just sign a vet to play behind him, but Tanny will be 32 in July. Many QBs don't play into their late 30s the way some do. If Tanny happened to still playing at a high level 2 or 3 years at the age of 34/35, then the guy we take this year could prove to be good trade fodder at that point. Or, if he has proven to be a good replacement for Tannehill, just keep him and cut Tanny loose.

They should be signing a veteran backup who could reasonably fill in temporarily if Tannehill got hurt. I don’t think they would go QB on day 1 or 2, nor should they rely on a day 3 pick to be the lone backup.

11 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Honestly, I still would draft someone.  Let them learn under Tannehill for the next few years.

1 minute ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Honestly, I still would draft someone.  Let them learn under Tannehill for the next few years.

Not sure about they.  They draft late and most of the qbs are expected to go in the first two rounds.  They have bigger needs in the first three rounds.

6 minutes ago, titansfan said:

I think drafting a QB is very much on the table

If they're serious about it I hope they're looking at more than just Jordan Love. Even if he is the whole bag of kibble and bits, he may not make it to our pick. And he might not be the whole bag of kibble anyway.

3 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

They absolutely will need to add a viable backup at some point.  The problem right now is that they do not have a ton of draft capital to work with.

True, it'd be nice to have more picks. But the Patriots only had 6 draft picks in 2014 when they took Jimmy G and they didn't even have a 3rd round pick that year (unless they traded it away... they did have 3 4th round picks). JRob had already left the Pats by then, but he's done more with less before himself if he believes in the players he's targeting. Look at the Evans/Landry draft.

3 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

They could spend a day 3 pick on one. I don't see us spending a 1 or 2. Not this season. Definitely possible in 2021 or 2022. This team got so close to the SB. JR is going to try to make a run with this core.

Edited by socaltitan

8 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Personally I would go out and get a Case Keenum type this year if I could. Someone who if Tannehill misses some time can come in and maybe win us some games.

We shouldn't spend a 1-4 round pick on a QB this year (needs to be someone that can contribute), and any QB taken outside the 1st round is a massive gamble anyway who might not even be a reliable backup this year. For every Minshew there's like 20 Luke Falks.

Just now, socaltitan said:

They could spend a day 3 pick on one. I don't see us spending a 1 or 2. Not this season. 2021, 2022, and beyond could be a different story. This team got so close to the SB. JR is going to try to make a run with this core.

Yeah, no, I agree.  It's going to be a late pick if one at all.

1 minute ago, socaltitan said:

They could spend a day 3 pick on one. I don't see us spending a 1 or 2. Not this season. Definitely possible in 2021 or 2022. This team got so close to the SB. JR is going to try to make a run with this core.

A day 3 pick as our backup though? Not a good idea.

Just now, Titans279 said:

A day 3 pick as our backup though? Not a good idea.

No not as our backup. I agree I'd feel much more comfortable with a vet QB. But they could still add someone. And by day 3, that could mean a 6-7th rounder.

• TitansGuru changed the title to Titans and Tannehill on Verge of Multi-year Deal (UPDATE: Now official)