tgo

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The guarantee is the key.  Clearly a stop gap solution 

Sets the stage for Kelly to man RT until our draft pick in round 1 or 2 is up for it. 

Kelly is clearly the starting RT next season.

5 minutes ago, GLinks said:

Lucas Niang, Matt Peart, Jack Driscoll, Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Ezra Cleveland are the names I’d watch.

I’m still not ruling out round one. We know what Kelly is. 

JR might be hedging his bets a little bit. Where we're picking we're not guaranteed a 1st round caliber OT. He could still pick one in the 1st. I do think it feels less likely now. The other scenario might be that he has a developmental guy in mind with Kelly as a bridge.

36 minutes ago, tgo said:

Of course it’s still a possibility. 

Anything is possible but that's a lot of money to pay a backup or swing man.  He's either starting at RT or moving to guard IMO.

9 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Anything is possible but that's a lot of money to pay a backup or swing man.  He's either starting at RT or moving to guard IMO.

Well yeah, he’s being paid as a stop gap starter until the rookie is ready, whichever round we draft him in. I’m sure the deal has an early out, and also with the projected cap increases going forward, it may not be unreasonable for a swing tackle in future years. 

Can also trade him later, but he’s not a long term starter by any means. 

Edited by tgo

In order to start Kelly at RT the Titans will have to have a power running game, run play action, use a lot of quick passing and Kelly will need help in pass pro, all of which Conklin needed as well. Kelly is def not a quality starting RT but Conklin got overpaid big time. The Titans still need to draft a RT but it's not as crucial as it was without Kelly. 

5 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

In order to start Kelly at RT the Titans will have to have a power running game, run play action, use a lot of quick passing and Kelly will need help in pass pro, all of which Conklin needed as well. Kelly is def not a quality starting RT but Conklin got overpaid big time. The Titans still need to draft a RT but it's not as crucial as it was without Kelly. 

Kelly won’t hold up for a whole season at RT. I’m certain we will be drafting a RT this draft and making a switch at some point. 

2 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Normally signing Kelly would not mean we aren't still looking for a RT in the first round but at $7 mil they might seriously be thinking of him starting next season and thus they will draft an OT but maybe not one they have to have play right away.  Thus all in at CB IMO.  Maybe edge if one drops but Clowney might be the guy they let Conklin leave for.

Having a utility OL like Kelly is a must these days. And he’s probably one of the best in the business at it. Robinson determined the utility position was worth paying.