Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to the Cardinals for David Johnson

IrishTitansFan

5 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

The issue was more what they got in return. A terrible RB on a bad contract and a 2nd. There was talks of the Cardinals giving up a late pick to get rid of Johnson

That seems true at first glance, but then you have to consider that Hopkins was in his last year. Any team that signed him would immediately have to make him the (or one of the) highest paid WRs in the NFL on a long-term contract. The Texans meanwhile weren't going to sign him and thus would only have gotten a compensatory pick.

Top flight edge rushers, QBs, and LTs don't generally make it to free agency, but WRs do. Paying a huge contract to a veteran immediately diminished the trade value.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What in the world      

Good. Keep him out of the division. Thanks Bill!

Lol!  ???

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, cenj said:

That seems true at first glance, but then you have to consider that Hopkins was in his last year. Any team that signed him would immediately have to make him the (or one of the) highest paid WRs in the NFL on a long-term contract. The Texans meanwhile weren't going to sign him and thus would only have gotten a compensatory pick.

Top flight edge rushers, QBs, and LTs don't generally make it to free agency, but WRs do. Paying a huge contract to a veteran immediately diminished the trade value.

No Hopkins had 3 years left on his current nd contract deal

and wanted a new one to match what Julio Jones got.  There was a reason why the trade market for Hopkins was weak.  Not only was he making big money, he wanted more big money.......

Edited by HollyHeap

8 minutes ago, HollyHeap said:

No Hopkins had 3 years left on his current nd contract deal

and wanted a new one to match what Julio Jones got.  There was a reason why the trade market for Hopkins was weak.  Not only was he making big money, he wanted more big money.......

Oh, did he? I totally thought it was the last year.

But yea, if he was already on a giant contract, the same problems apply.

Just now, HollyHeap said:

Not to mention NO team will negotiate a new deal with 3 years left.  Horrible precedent.

It actually makes me respect Hopkins more (at least his intelligence). With news of the Chaplain power struggle, Hopkins knew he had to get out of Houston, regardless of his contract. 

On 12/10/2020 at 8:24 PM, CreepingDeath said:

For those watching the Texans, what is the drop off in performance?  Point being is that Stafford in Detroit puts up monster numbers but that team sucks. Hopkins was a terror to defend. With him on the team, Houston was an annual playoff contender. 

It seems like the team has fallen apart mentally, physically they got busted for roids, and the talent left the defense.

I'm not a committed Houston fan though, maybe someone else can confirm if I got it right.

On 12/10/2020 at 7:24 PM, CreepingDeath said:

For those watching the Texans, what is the drop off in performance?  Point being is that Stafford in Detroit puts up monster numbers but that team sucks. Hopkins was a terror to defend. With him on the team, Houston was an annual playoff contender. 

The Texans are not missing the playoffs because they don't have Hopkins

10 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

I know where you stand on this. I’m curious if anyone here watches the games and doesn’t just glance at stats. 

The Texans have a terrible defense and a bad turnover ratio. These two things will ensure you suck. 

27 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

But I will say I’m glad Hopkins isn’t making circus catches for them anymore

No, honestly we should have rooted for the Texans to give Hopkins a monster deal and use a big chunk of their cap space on a WR. 

Their defense sucks is one big reason - they give up points and have the least number of takeaways in the NFL.  JJ Watt is a shell of himself and honestly aside from Cunningham I cannot name a "good" young player on their D.  I do think that morale there is pretty awful and I'm sure that had an impact as well.

LOL at the window lickers who want to correlate 2020 with the Hopkins trade.....

On 12/10/2020 at 6:19 AM, OILERMAN said:

Well 75% of the season gone and lets see.....

Hopkins went to the Cards. 

DeShaun Watson totally balling, playing the best QB of his career and on pace for 32 TDs and 8 INTs. 110 passer rating.

Not paying Hopkins was 100% the right thing to do. The QB makes the WR, not the other way around. 

Actually, the Texans are an example of the importance of WR. They were able to let hopkins go bc they invested significant capital in WR. Fuller was drafted high, Brandin Cooks is a high end FA, and they invested more in getting Kenny Stills - a guy they cut would likely be our 3rd best WR on our team. Coutee was a 4th round pick but I loved him in the draft and was shocked he fell so far, I had a 2nd round grade on him. I'd wager they will spend a high pick on WR next draft. They could afford to lose Hopkins because they are pretty stacked at WR, not because the WR doesn't matter.

Look at how much AJ Brown has changed this offense. I'd shudder to think of what it would look like without him, and just CD, Batson, and Raymond. 

Of course the QB is the most important variable, no one would ever dispute that. But football is a team sport and the quality of all the other players do matter.