Titans Tag Henry

Jonboy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man, nfl players can be so dumb.      Not to mention...they’ve said they’re working on a long-term deal with him! Smh. 

I think it’s Clowney.     

3 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Man, nfl players can be so dumb. 

Not to mention...they’ve said they’re working on a long-term deal with him! Smh. 

He was a solid RB for 3+ seasons before Tannehill took over. He was a beast afterwards. There is no way he gets paid like a top 3 RB without Tannehill at QB. It is just that simple. 

I bet that getting tagged is turning on Henry and Evans.  To celebrate, they’ll be playing a game of tag with each other tonite.  Evans will be wearing a pink tutu spanking Henry and saying “ Tag, you’re it!”.

Edited by Denali

3 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Vacarro like Mathieus tweet. They may be wrong, but that sentiment could be shared on the Titans too. They better sign Henry or it could be bad for morale

I never liked tagging him. I’m thinking in this case they’re trying to get a deal done. Henry has more than just team support, right now he’s the face of the franchise. Plus Henry is a Titan. He has done everything asked of him. He never complained publicly about riding the bench. He won the Titans three straight games to get to the championship game. 

Bad PR not to pay him. 

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I never liked tagging him. I’m thinking in this case they’re trying to get a deal done. Henry has more than just team support, right now he’s the face of the franchise. Plus Henry is a Titan. He has done everything asked of him. He never complained publicly about riding the bench. He won the Titans three straight games to get to the championship game. 

Bad PR not to pay him. 

Robinson did the right thing.  QB was and absolutely should have been the priority.  Obviously they love Henry too but it's a position where supply is greater than demand in terms of finding good players.  You don't sign/tag Tannehill instead and then you could be left with a huge problem at QB - again.

The problem is coming up with what to pay him given how badly RB's have performed once getting paid a second contract, especially when Henry does have some limitations outside of running it.    Elliot's contract is problematic because it's backloaded to inflate the APY and it sure sounded like that was what Henry was looking for as the floor.  The team and Henry have plenty of time to try to come to an agreement.  The lack of the CBA undoubtedly didn't help things.

2 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

It is not supply and demand it is the fact that QB is more important and they can play much longer. History tells us that 5 year deals for RBs can often be a big mistake. 

Um - the supply of good RB's (and the ease to find them) greatly exceeds the demand as QB is far more important/impactful to actually winning.

53 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Robinson did the right thing.  QB was and absolutely should have been the priority.  Obviously they love Henry too but it's a position where supply is greater than demand in terms of finding good players.  You don't sign/tag Tannehill instead and then you could be left with a huge problem at QB - again.

The problem is coming up with what to pay him given how badly RB's have performed once getting paid a second contract, especially when Henry does have some limitations outside of running it.    Elliot's contract is problematic because it's backloaded to inflate the APY and it sure sounded like that was what Henry was looking for as the floor.  The team and Henry have plenty of time to try to come to an agreement.  The lack of the CBA undoubtedly didn't help things.

I'm not really questioning JRob because you know I love him as much as you if not more. Signing Tannehill was co-wreck.  I just said I hope this is a time delaying move, then sign him. Henry is a lunch pale Titans, tell me what to do.  They have a figure for Henry.  Sign him.  If they do tag him, I see some pushback.  Yes, sign your QB.  Then pay your playoff MVP.

1 minute ago, Soxcat said:

The point is not only is QB the most important position but also much harder to replace.  We don't want to lose Henry because he is special but trying to find a reasonable replacement is still easier than trying to replace Tannehill with a quality QB.  You can also find decent RBs in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds.  Not even close for QBs with only a few exceptions.  We could get Taylor with our 29th pick.  What QB could we get with that pick?  Not to mention a guy like Taylor could play at a high level from day one where a QB would take a while to develop.

Nobody is saying don't sign Tanny.  Right now, Henry is the face of the franchise.  There is not rule in the NFL that prohibits teams from signing more than one star.

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I'm not really questioning JRob because you know I love him as much as you if not more. Signing Tannehill was co-wreck.  I just said I hope this is a time delaying move, then sign him. Henry is a lunch pale Titans, tell me what to do.  They have a figure for Henry.  Sign him.  If they do tag him, I see some pushback.  Yes, sign your QB.  Then pay your playoff MVP.

Coming up with the "fair deal" is the crux of it.  He's great, hard worker, and fits the offense to a T.  Not a ton of carries but also he's a physical freak.  But....two-down player primarily and ROI on RB big contracts is poor.  If he wants Elliott money and Robinson is offering closer to the tag amount on a longer term deal, I would tend to agree with the team's thinking.  Add in that RB will be taken early as they need to anyway, which also pushes some leverage the team's way.

I think odds are the team signs him long term but the valuation of RB's is contentious because the NFL teams know that you can draft good ones every year and have cheaper alternatives.

1 hour ago, Rolltide said:

Henry lit it up at the end of 2018 when RT was not on the team. We got Lewan back and the whole line started blocking better. Anybody who thinks that Rt is responsible for Henry being good is an idiot. 

It is possible that Henry is just better in the 2nd half of a season and in the post season. He was damn good at the end of 2017 also. 

He had two great games and two decent game in the last 4 games of 2018. Before Tannehill took over Henry had 5 100 yard games in 54 regular season games. He had 5 in the next 10 games. 

4 hours ago, Jonboy said:

They’ll almost certainly get a 3rd round comp pick for Conklin next year. Of course, signing Clowney (or anyone else)to a big contract would change that. Logan Ryan will probably get a solid deal too so that will also add to compensatory pick scenarios. 

Totally. And getting lots of comps going forward is great, but seeing the deal the Dolphins got for Tunsil got my hopes up. My main complaint is the reason why we're tagging Henry. We're tagging him because he wants more money than we're offering. Wouldn't that difference in money be worth a first round pick? On the other hand, if we end up using our available cap space on someone like Clowney it will make more sense to penny pinch as much as we can right now. 

1 hour ago, Thrill said:

Totally. And getting lots of comps going forward is great, but seeing the deal the Dolphins got for Tunsil got my hopes up. My main complaint is the reason why we're tagging Henry. We're tagging him because he wants more money than we're offering. Wouldn't that difference in money be worth a first round pick? On the other hand, if we end up using our available cap space on someone like Clowney it will make more sense to penny pinch as much as we can right now. 

I have had the same thought...pay Henry an extra $1-2M/yr to get him signed to allow a tag or tag/trade of Conklin...

I can only assume JRob thinks an average contract number for Henry closer to the ~$8M/yr range represents fair value over the next few years and cannot bridge the gap if Henry thinks he is worth $15M/yr.

Taking the long view, Henry was playing at a ~$12-15M/yr level in the second half of the season and playoffs. However, it is unlikely that level of play will be his average moving forward, but that is what we would be paying him on average if he gets a 4yr/$60M type of deal.

The smart move is to Tag him for $10M and either tag him again or let him walk for a 2022 comp pick after giving him another 400 touches this year...

I hate it, but paying a top of the market RB long-term is not usually a winning formula.

At the end of the day, JRob has earned my trust to figure it out...

Edited by ChemEngr79

The narrative is born from the coaching decision to use Henry more than Tannehill's arm especially toward the end of the season.  But you can't blur what Tannehill accomplished last year.  Even in a partial season.  He was more composed than Mariotta even when he was standing on the sidelines.  That wasn't hard to do.  But to remain composed and professional as the coaching decided to lean more and more on Henry as the season wound on.  Still delivering every time his number was called.  Henry is King of RBs, and despite the numbers showing Henry's surge in success after Tannehill became the starter, I do think the line started gelling with the run blocking scheme and that helped tremendously.  But really there be people who want to take away what Tannehill did?   He more than proved he can carry this team as well.  He did on a couple occasions when Henry was hurt.  He proved it in the first Chiefs game.  I still can't for the life of me figure out why they avoided using him more in the playoffs other than to position themselves to give a lower offer.  The last 6 games or so was really challenging to watch them shut the spigot off on the pass plays.  There were some,  but the success of the running game...  why bother passing?  Unfortunately that fuels the narrative that Henry is the X factor and Tannehill is a "nice to have".   Both players deserve a profound amount of credit.