Barnwell grades Tannehill signing as C-

Titans279

4 hours ago, Face said:

Barnwell actually really knows the game which is why his take was especially shocking in its stupidity.  To say that we're a running team based around Henryas being the main reason this is a bad deal is embarrassing. So being a team that likes to run means you don't need a QB? We're just going to run Henry on 3rd & 9? We don't need to convert 3rd downs or take advantage of big play shots off play action? The guy threw over 20 TD's in 10 games & averaged 9.6 a throw, it's fair to say we threw the ball a bit. We also scored 3 or more times every game he played, which is nuts.

These archaic takes need to stop.  It doesn't matter what "system" a team uses, QB is so much more important then any other position it's ridiculous. No offense is based around a RB, no good one anyway. This narrative that Henry somehow led our offense last year is laughable. Tannehill was the team MVP by 8 billion miles.

I find Barnwell to be very biased and he tends to lean analytical nerdy to a fault some times.  He had NE going 16-0 last year after a couple of games and predicted Lamar Jackson to run much less before last season.  Recently, he predicted Derek Carr to the Titans in a trade.  He hates Tannehill so take it with a grain of salt.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 2019, Mahomes regressed big time from his 2018 season.  And ended up winning the Super Bowl.

Barnwell actually really knows the game which is why his take was especially shocking in its stupidity.  To say that we're a running team based around Henryas being the main reason this is a bad deal

Damn.  

Just now, abc2330 said:

Miami just signed Ereck Flowers to $10M per year.  Their team sucks for so many reasons other than Tannehill.  

You wanna talk about irony...???

How bout stating fact about who really built this team we have today. Let's go back to January 2016. Retaining Mike Mularkey and the hiring of Jon Robinson (albeit Floyd Resse of this era in a way). The absolute laughing stock joke that was. However, the instant turnaround in all position facets. Offensive line with no name players like Kline and Spain. DeMarco Murray becoming come back player of the year that never won the honor. Mariota have his career year under Terry R and Jason Michael. 8-6 going into Jacksonville and should've ended up being 10-6. The following year 8-4... should've went 11-5, slipping in game across country Arz and San Fran... 

In Miami, just look at the overall talent around Tannehill offensively during the same time (check it out)... 2015, 16, 17.... Check out the defensive side as well... We're talking the differences between a Mike Mularkey coached team and Joe Philibin & Adam Gase coached team... Mularkey with Mariota beat KC 21 down and went into the divisional round vs the still empiress Patriots. Fired. Philbin falls into the Bermuda triangle while Gase stays Gase in New York (with the great job he's done(((((). Mike Vrabel inherited a divisional round playoff team. A franchise quarterback, regardless, that is no Colt McCoy, Matt Moore, Blaine Gabert, Blake Bortles, Drew Stannton, ect... A defense and solid offensive line... An already established veteran locker room, I mean, do you remember how bad this team and locker room was under Ruston Webster and Ken Whisenhunt???

If Tannehill has found a home, 2019 will continue into 2021 and 2022 with playoff runs or just appearances. I hope so. Then again, Cleveland has all the talent in the world but never can do anything with it. Maybe Mike Mularkey should've been hired instead just to make this point. Let's also see what Vrabel can do in replicating Belichick south. 

I’ll never forget Tanny chasing Hurst down in the Raiders game.He know big boy got that int and saw clear field all the sudden WHAM from the side cleaned his clock.That showed me a lot of effort and hustle u don’t see from 90% of qbs.

12 hours ago, BudAdams said:

I find Barnwell to be very biased and he tends to lean analytical nerdy to a fault some times.  He had NE going 16-0 last year after a couple of games and predicted Lamar Jackson to run much less before last season.  Recently, he predicted Derek Carr to the Titans in a trade.  He hates Tannehill so take it with a grain of salt.

I’m just not sure what else he would’ve preferred we do? In fairness I’d be lying if I said I was completely sold on Tannehill as an elite guy going forward, but is there a better chance that Brady bounces back at 43? Rivers is really looking diminished physically. We  bet on the guy that got it done for us, and still has his legs & arm.  

Weve been nobodies for 15 years because we haven’t had a QB, he thinks we should just “try something else” after Tannehill destroyed the league last year? What a joke.

6 hours ago, Face said:

I’m just not sure what else he would’ve preferred we do? In fairness I’d be lying if I said I was completely sold on Tannehill as an elite guy going forward, but is there a better chance that Brady bounces back at 43? Rivers is really looking diminished physically. We  bet on the guy that got it done for us, and still has his legs & arm.  

Weve been nobodies for 15 years because we haven’t had a QB, he thinks we should just “try something else” after Tannehill destroyed the league last year? What a joke.

He’s not elite. He’s good though. Having a great running game definitely does help guys like Tannihill who are good not great QBs. 

20 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

The team may have been built but it didn't have a driver. Tanne was the missing ingredient. Surely you don't think Mariota could hold a candle to what Tanne did. Ever seen Mariota extend a drive by running through two players and getting 3 yards for a 1st down? Take on a safety and run over him for a 2 point conversion? We only beat KC because Kelce was knocked out and a fluke bad pass batted back. We were getting our ass handed to us when Mariota went down against the Jags. Sometimes Talent is wasted by teams and players need a better situation. Think Steve Young wins a SB with Tampa Bay?

Joelin, it's better to just state a sheer bias regard for and against someone or something. You wanna know the saddest thing about Titans fans today, is how easily they forget the past in appreciating what former players and coaches have done for this franchise. Now you know there were countless times Marcus made spectacular plays and to say KC was a fluke due to a "fluke bad pass" and "Kelce being knocked out" being down 21  points in of all places Kansas City is just... c'mon bro, really??? Mariota is gone. Tannehill is under center. Would love nothing more than both Vrabel and Tannehill to prove 2019 over again, as I stated in another response. Time will tell. We will see. If Titans/Oilers history proves one thing, it's the insane repeat of past mistakes made over again, rather than the learning from them and making the team better.

Edited by SuperTitanic

On 3/16/2020 at 11:51 AM, japan said:

What are these counterpoints?

Okay. Let's simplify the equation of insanity for you.

Short answer:

Check Mariota 2015-2018 vs Tannehill 2015-2018. Starting games. Talent around them. Season and playoff results.

But like I said, Mariota is gone. Tannehill is here under center for the next three years at the very least. It is what it is. Hope he succeeds. Hope Vrabel proves to be the next Bilichick. We will see.