23 minutes ago, Stan said:

You guys are a bunch of old farts who are scared of everything. I don’t believe in anything the media reports. Literally the flu kills more people each year than this has. 

You're so fucking stupid. This Corona Virus didn't exist until like 2 or 3 months ago. 

Edited by Thrill

57 minutes ago, Stan said:

You guys are a bunch of old farts who are scared of everything. I don’t believe in anything the media reports. Literally the flu kills more people each year than this has. 

This just started

1 hour ago, Titans279 said:

The problem is that if too many people catch it too quick, when the system already has hardly any slack, then the hospitals become overloaded and a lot of people die unnecessarily.

It's not like the virus will necessarily kill as many people as it did originally in China or is in Italy if everyone got appropriate care, but if it spreads quickly it becomes a disaster because there aren't enough resources to treat all the infected.

This is exactly what we have to try to do now.  Like I said Italy has nearly 9% of cases in intensive care.  Nobody has the infrastructure to handle that.

But we have to also say, this could have been stopped if we did the things that we knew had to be done.  There was a whole system to respond to these things.  It was largely dismantled and at the time we should have been making hard decisions it was called a hoax.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Lol wutt

I say that because you are repeating lies... or untruths at best. And you are completely ignorant to the facts. 

This  virus is at the present moment 30x more deadly than the flu (in Italy it's 60x more right now)....AS IN... if 10,000 people get this then ~ 300 people die.

If 10,000 get the flu... then ~10 people die. 

The flu has killed that many people because it has existed for 100 years and is part of life. We can control the flu. We have vaccines. We dont have cures but we can limit it and know how to control it. We dont have that for coronavirus yet.

At it's current rate, Covid-19 is 2x more contagious. It is much easier to catch. It's just brand new. 

Edited by titanruss

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Old farts? I'm willing to bet the majority of those freaking out are under the age of 30.

In the US the Coronavirus has about 1000 cases with 36 deaths. Also in the US the “flu” has about 34-49 million cases this season with 20-52 thousand deaths (per CDC). So its right to be worried about the Coronavirus if it gets widespread but its also right that the flu is infecting and killing more people. 

Its certainly ok to be cautious but to flat out act like this is some killer where millions of people have died when it’s not. I will not panic until it it affects me or someone I know until then I’ll do what I’ve done always wash my hands all day. Drink fluids, eat well and get plenty of sleep and excerise. 

3 hours ago, Thrill said:

You're so fucking stupid. This Corona Virus didn't exist until like 2 or 3 months ago. 

It has existed since the 60s

7 hours ago, Titans279 said:

The problem is that if too many people catch it too quick, when the system already has hardly any slack, then the hospitals become overloaded and a lot of people die unnecessarily.

It's not like the virus will necessarily kill as many people as it did originally in China or is in Italy if everyone got appropriate care, but if it spreads quickly it becomes a disaster because there aren't enough resources to treat all the infected.

Bingo. This is the real issue. South Korea has nearly 10K cases with only 66 deaths. Why? Because of testing and ramping up supplies and surging hospital capacity. We have gone the Italy route which is bad news. Although to put into perspective nearly all the deaths in the US are tied to that shitty nursing home in Seattle.

8 hours ago, Stan said:

It’s not that serious. The death rate for this isn’t even like 2 percent. Those dying are either young children or elderly with weak immune systems. Just blowing it out of proportion. If you are healthy and you get it chances are you won’t die from it. 

2 percent in 1 month is devastating 

6 hours ago, animatormike said:

You are mistaking stupidity for courage.

What this is going to do is understood.  It will spread like the flu.  It is a flu.  Except that we all have some immunity to the typical viruses that cause the flu.  Many get shots to enhance that immunity.  That stops a lot of people from getting it at all, and even if you get the flu it is probably a virus your body has seen before and can more quickly produce antibodies for.

No one has immunity to this.

Flu kills less than .1 percent of the people that get infected.

This will spread faster and farther.  The illness will be longer.  The death rate will be anywhere from 10 to 40 times the normal flu.  It is hard to know why, but right now in Italy it is 60 times more deadly so I am not just throwing the worst case scenario at you.

Those are just the facts.  No one is asking you to be scared, but this is the basic math of what we are about to see.

So take this year's number of flu cases, double them and run it by a 2 percent mortality rate.  That sort of estimate should give you a solid expectation.

The worst thing is that all of this could have been avoided.  Cut travel to and from each country immediately on an outbreak.  All travel - no exceptions.  Once it was here isolate cities and fight it there.  All things we know how to do.  Except Trump shut down the Pandemic infrastructure, put a political hack in charge of the CDC and cut their budget by 20%.  Oh, and at the moment he should have been doing these things he called it a Hoax.  Wasn't a hoax tonight was it?

"Literally the flu kills more people each year than this has."  I've had about a dozen people say that to me.  The level of ignorance is astounding.

22 percent of Italys population is 65 and older. This is why it is tearing thru Italy the way it is.