Jeremy Fowler just reported the Titans believe they can beat the Patriots in the race to sign Tom Brady

5 hours ago, Makaveli said:

Don't be so sure.

LOL

How familiar are you with how the business side of football works?

Mariota is done here. He is history in Tennessee. His contract expired and the Titans are moving on.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll pay for @OILERMAN's funeral.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Makaveli said:

At 32 Tannehill isn't worth what he wants. If we want to build a real contender that will have sustained success we need a guy that will be around 10+ years. Tannehill has maybe 3-4 years. If he was 26 coming off a rookie contract like Mariota I could see us paying him what he wants. 

At 32, he's still in his prime.  At 32, he would be 'as worth it' as his 26 year old self.  These contracts aren't for 10 year lengths. 

15 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

a 26 year old Tannehill would be far more in demand than a 32 year old Tannehill

that's just a fact.

He'll get paid what teams think he's worth as the QB for the next 4 to 5 years.  His age has nothing to do with it as 32 is prime.

2 minutes ago, japan said:

He'll get paid what teams think he's worth as the QB for the next 4 to 5 years.  His age has nothing to do with it as 32 is prime.

not debating that he can't play at 32 or maybe even better at 32 but if he was younger...especially 6 years younger teams would be willing to pay him more and be much more comfortable with making a big investment in him.

some of the same reasons the Titans were more comfortable with starting Mariota over Tannehill.  I know it's hard to understand cause some just think you play the best guy but that's not how the NFL works.

Tannehill has a couple so-so years and you got to start looking for his replacement and seats are going to start getting hot.  If he was younger you have a longer leash with him.

I think it's strange how people think that Brady is superbowl or bust but somehow Tannehill has the luxury of time to get to the superbowl.  We were in the AFCCG last year and the bar is high.  Shit will turn on Tannehill just as quick and the organization and fans will be second guessing him real fast if he doesn't repeat that success or come real damn close to it.

I'll go ahead and say it: it would be flat out irresponsible to let Tannehill walk. I trust the FO and all but it'll take me a while to cool off if we bungle this. Nothing I've seen makes me think we won't get a deal done though so I'm chillin for now.

Edited by Mythos27

What? Does this mean Brady isn't asking for a huge contract? I want to sign Tannehill but if he thinks the titans should overpay, go back and watch the playoff games from last year. It was Derrick Henry that we rode to the AFC championship game. Tannehill had a good season, don't get me wrong but his production in the playoffs was not so impressive. If he wants to play hardball, tag him.

Edited by freakingeek

Seems pretty obvious that the Titans are trying to sign Tannehill to a long term deal but not break the bank.

But Tannehill is asking for a huge contract which the Titans aren't going to pay and are using Brady as leverage to try and get his number down.

If he doesn't cave, then we'll see if the Titans let him walk an go for Brady or if they cave and give him what he wants. Personally, I think in that scenario they go for Brady but we'll have to wait and see.

I think this depends on whether or not Tannehill caves on his demands to stay here.

2 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

What? Does this mean Brady isn't asking for a huge contract? I want to sign Tannehill but if he thinks the titans should overpay, go back and watch the playoff games from last year. It was Derrick Henry that we rode to the AFC championship game. Tannehill had a good season, don't get me wrong but his production in the playoffs was not so impressive.

Supposedly it's not about money for Brady. He won't be cheap but he wants to play for a contender, not another huge deal. He could very easily be cheaper than Tannehill.

Just now, reo said:

Supposedly it's not about money for Brady. He won't be cheap but he wants to play for a contender, not another huge deal. He could very easily be cheaper than Tannehill.

I'd be shocked if he took less from us than he would have made in NE. 

At this point, Tannehill’s age is a non-factor.  Go look at the top ten QBs in any given year.  Most of them are in their 30s.   

QB’s aren’t worried about losing a step like a RB or DB.  A good QB can play well into his late 30s before his arm starts to go.  

If the Titans retain Tannehill, it will likely be a 5-6 year deal...and there’s absolutely no reason to think his body will decline before that contract is up.

But if I’m Tannehill, I might push for a shorter 2-3 year contract, which puts me in position for another payday when I’m 34-35 years old with a few good years left in me.   If he signs a 5-6 year deal now, then he’s 37-38 years old when that deal ends....at which point his age becomes a significant factor.  

7 minutes ago, reo said:

Heard this same line of thinking on one of the talk shows the other day. If the Titans can get Brady for less money than Tannehill you would think they would jump on it. Props to Tanny for last season but it's a small sample size and his injury history is a concern. 

With Brady you can point at his down year last year but you have to consider who he was playing with. 

If you can sign Brady for cheaper than you do it and draft a developmental QB.