Callidus

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cowboys, Pats, Steelers, and Packers....you said who would I remove....lol

Realistically,   Chargers: they bring no fans to the league    Jags: no history; not a great fan base; no one would miss them   Bengals: it’s them or Cleveland and Clevel

First team to remove would be the Cowboys, just to see their fans go suicidal.   Next up would be Colts, Jags and Texans.  This way the Titans would be guaranteed to win their division every

Realistically,

Chargers: they bring no fans to the league 

Jags: no history; not a great fan base; no one would miss them

Bengals: it’s them or Cleveland and Cleveland has too much of a hold in the league to be offed; like the others, losing Cinci doesn’t affect the NFL much at all

Bucs: wanted to put the Texans but two teams in one division is too much (also Houston is a big ass city); this would be the biggest loss but Tampa fans could easily find a home elsewhere

10 hours ago, flaming_thumbtack said:

Realistically,

Bengals: it’s them or Cleveland and Cleveland has too much of a hold in the league to be offed; like the others, losing Cinci doesn’t affect the NFL much at all

Bucs: wanted to put the Texans but two teams in one division is too much (also Houston is a big ass city); this would be the biggest loss but Tampa fans could easily find a home elsewhere

Back to reality, I can agree with this.   I guess an argument could be made for the Lions, but too much history there as well. 

10 hours ago, flaming_thumbtack said:

Realistically,

Yeah, realistically, this probably makes the most sense.  You could make a case for the Cardinals too IMO.

9 minutes ago, Former_Fan said:

I actually won't be surprised if the league expands to 34 teams at some point. I also expect for a team or two to jump ship to a new city and fanbase. 

If they expand, what potential cities do you suggest?

International = London

Former NFL cities = St. Louis, San Diego, Oakland

Cities used as leverage to get new stadiums = San Antonio, Memphis

1 minute ago, CreepingDeath said:

If they expand, what potential cities do you suggest?

International = London

Former NFL cities = St. Louis, San Diego, Oakland

Cities used as leverage to get new stadiums = San Antonio, Memphis

If the league goes international,  it completely changes the sport imo, and then you would certainly have to expand to other European cities. NFL = national football league. So would it change to IFL??

If we just expand the market here I would personally like to see some new cities instead of some retreads.

21 minutes ago, Former_Fan said:

If the league goes international,  it completely changes the sport imo, and then you would certainly have to expand to other European cities. NFL = national football league. So would it change to IFL??

If we just expand the market here I would personally like to see some new cities instead of some retreads.

What are some other markets large enough to support a team?  Oklahoma has an NBA team.  OKC population is > 600k.  'Bama likes their semi-pro team, but their biggest city is just over 200k.  Salt Lake City is around 200k.  Albuquerque is surprisingly large at 500k.

That compares to the previous cities:

San Diego @ 1.4 mil

San Antonio @ 1.5 mil

Saint Louis @ 300k  

11 hours ago, flaming_thumbtack said:

Realistically,

I would replace Bucs with Cardinals maybe or Jets. They are the little brother franchise in ny/nj area that is less cared about with no history other than Namaths guarantee.

50 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

What are some other markets large enough to support a team?  Oklahoma has an NBA team.  OKC population is > 600k.  'Bama likes their semi-pro team, but their biggest city is just over 200k.  Salt Lake City is around 200k.  Albuquerque is surprisingly large at 500k.

That compares to the previous cities:

San Diego @ 1.4 mil

San Antonio @ 1.5 mil

Saint Louis @ 300k  

If you go by metro and not city population:

San Diego Metro - 3,343,364 - Large population but had trouble selling out at Qualcomm IIRC. Also may have the issue of too many things to do.

St. Louis - 2,805,465 - Large population but had trouble with the Rams if I recall. Weather sucks. Would need that new stadium that was proposed before the left.

San Antonio - 2,518,036 - but won't support a team. Lower income too compared to Austin 1 hour north, but Austin won't support San Antonio and vice versa. Alamodome would not cut it even if renovated again

-------------------------

OKC - 1,396,445 - Would need a new stadium. Is the town big enough for the Thunder and a NFL team? I think it will be interesting what happens with Thunder support when they finally start sucking.

2 hours ago, Former_Fan said:

I actually won't be surprised if the league expands to 34 teams at some point. I also expect for a team or two to jump ship to a new city and fanbase. 

I agree. I got the idea from a comment by some1 else in another thread.

1 hour ago, TitansFan777 said:

If you go by metro and not city population:

San Diego Metro - 3,343,364 - Large population but had trouble selling out at Qualcomm IIRC. Also may have the issue of too many things to do.

St. Louis - 2,805,465 - Large population but had trouble with the Rams if I recall. Weather sucks. Would need that new stadium that was proposed before the left.

San Antonio - 2,518,036 - but won't support a team. Lower income too compared to Austin 1 hour north, but Austin won't support San Antonio and vice versa. Alamodome would not cut it even if renovated again

-------------------------

OKC - 1,396,445 - Would need a new stadium. Is the town big enough for the Thunder and a NFL team? I think it will be interesting what happens with Thunder support when they finally start sucking.

Good points regarding metro area. and the Sans/Saints.  As per OKC, I don't think the existence of another sport is competition, per se.  On the other hand, that a team can thrive in the market shows that it is possible for a team at least that size can work in that market.  Granted, it's a similar situation with Tennessee in that Oklahoma loves them there AAA team and may not readily adopt an NFL team.  Throw in the fact that most of the state is part of the Cowboys viewing market hurts it, too.  (Broncos and Chiefs are also nearby pulling allegiances)