Virus in US

pat

Yes. And it happened here, too. That is the point of lockdowns.  Flattering the curve. But the flattening doesn’t last. And that has been shown time and time again.  And at huge costs.  

Maybe we are saying  same thing. I dont know. But i am sick of lockdowns and thats why I got the vax early.   There has been too much political rhetoric that has hampered the rollout. 

So I tell every patient that has not had a vax to get it. And I point them to articles explaining how they were developed so rapidly. And they are safe. Its all I can do.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the damndest thing....  Trump supporters making fun of Biden's mental status.    Seriously.  

MERS killed 866 people worldwide. Again, basic math.   Btw, in an entire year, the flu kills 3,500 - 15,500 in the US. They suspect some cases aren't identified and so they estimate up to 61

Posted Images

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Lockdowns delay the spread but do not stop the pandemic. 

its been shown for over a year. And they have serious repercussions.

Maybe if you guys quit spouting bullshit and only using science when it is convenient you might be taken more seriously.

Lockdowns weren’t meant to end covid, they were meant to safely get us to a testing, tracing regime throughout the country backed by PPE. Instead we got golf and rallies for so long that 600k Americans died.

And we didn’t even have lockdowns anyway. We ordered takeout from our fav restaurants vs sitting in them. The country’s response to covid was garbage.

4 hours ago, El Guapo said:

as I have stated before, only vax will end this fucking ordeal. Lockdowns are a waste and harmful. 

The effectiveness of vaccines is not evidence for the ineffectiveness of lockdowns.

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9545897/Coronavirus-real-world-data-proves-Pfizer-Covid-jab-77-98-effective.html

as I have stated before, only vax will end this fucking ordeal. Lockdowns are a waste and harmful. 

In the absence of both vaccines and social distancing, the result is complete societal collapse.  India tried to open without high vaccination numbers and it is now a horror.

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Lockdowns delay the spread but do not stop the pandemic. 

its been shown for over a year. And they have serious repercussions.

Maybe if you guys quit spouting bullshit and only using science when it is convenient you might be taken more seriously.

Correct.  Lockdowns slowed the spread of the pandemic to prevent apocalypse prior to the widespread deployment of vaccines.

"Delaying the spread" is another way of saying "saving millions of lives that would be lost by an out of control pandemic overwhelming hospitals"

The economic cost is worth it, because the economic cost of not locking down is catastrophic.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Yes. And it happened here, too. That is the point of lockdowns.  Flattering the curve. But the flattening doesn’t last. And that has been shown time and time again.  And at huge costs.  

Maybe we are saying  same thing. I dont know. But i am sick of lockdowns and thats why I got the vax early.   There has been too much political rhetoric that has hampered the rollout. 

So I tell every patient that has not had a vax to get it. And I point them to articles explaining how they were developed so rapidly. And they are safe. Its all I can do.

You’re definitely saying the same thing just from a different angle. Our lockdowns were shit because it was done differently over all 50 states, but it still helped. Masks help, even if only to lower case load. As you’ve said the vaccine is the way out, but unfortunately 40% of white conservatives won’t take it and a large group of young adults won’t either. 

1 hour ago, Jamalisms said:

But anyone who falls off a ladder and dies is counted for covid so really it's like 75,000 maybe amirite

4 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

You’re definitely saying the same thing just from a different angle. Our lockdowns were shit because it was done differently over all 50 states, but it still helped. Masks help, even if only to lower case load. As you’ve said the vaccine is the way out, but unfortunately 40% of white conservatives won’t take it and a large group of young adults won’t either. 

Yup. It sucks

https://www.vox.com/22422794/covid-19-death-numbers-total-us-vaccine-ihme?utm_source=digg

The world may have undercounted Covid-19 deaths by a staggering margin, according to an analysis released Thursday by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington School of Medicine. The actual count may actually be 6.9 million deaths, more than double official tolls. 

The United States alone is estimated to have had 905,000 Covid-19 fatalities, vastly more than the 579,000 deaths officially reported, and more than any other country. The calculation is based on modeling of excess mortality that has occurred during the pandemic.

The drastic difference highlights how difficult it is to keep track of even basic metrics like deaths when a deadly disease is raging. The higher toll also means the ripples of the pandemic have spread wider than realized, particularly for health workers on the front lines who have repeatedly faced the onslaught with limited medical resources and personal protection. And the undercounts have important consequences for how countries allocate resources, anticipate future hot spots, and address health inequities.

I’ve posted several times before that regardless how anyone wants to label things,  the truth is found in the overall mortality rate... i.e. deaths from all causes.  Pre-pandemic, the annual mortality rate had very minimal fluctuation,  rarely varying more than 3% from one year to the next.  

According to the CDC mortality reporting, the two deadliest months of the 2019 calendar year were January and December, with 258,000 and 256,000 deaths respectively.  (Again, these numbers were deaths from all causes).

January 2020 (still pre-pandemic) had 264,000 deaths reported.....a nominal increase over the previous January.  Pretty normal.

December 2020  had 364,000 deaths...an increase of 108,000 deaths over the previous year.   

January 2021 had 358,000 deaths...an increase of 96,000 deaths over the previous January.  

Again...total deaths is a metric that rarely fluctuates by more than 3% in the United States.  But with covid added to the mix,  total deaths increased by 30% in a single year.   Absolutely mind-boggling. 

There was also an astronomical increase in the numbered  pneumonia/influenza  deaths that weren’t necessarily attributed to covid.    Before 2020, pneumonia and influenza were responsible for roughly 55-60,000 deaths per year.  

Since Jan 2020, CDC reporting shows 565,000 deaths attributed to covid...but 788,000 deaths attributed to covid, pneumonia, and influenza combined.  So in addition to the covid fatalities, this suggests an additional 223,000 deaths where covid wasn't identified as a factor.  

Which do we think is more likely...that non-covid pneumonia deaths just happened to increase by 400%  during the first year of  covid’s existence ?     Or could it be that the  testing methodology for a brand new virus was unreliable and drastically  underreported the actual numbers?