Virus in US

pat

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the damndest thing....  Trump supporters making fun of Biden's mental status.    Seriously.  

MERS killed 866 people worldwide. Again, basic math.   Btw, in an entire year, the flu kills 3,500 - 15,500 in the US. They suspect some cases aren't identified and so they estimate up to 61

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Im not arguing with you but wearing a mask is not the solution and if you have been vaccinated it doesnt make sense to be forced to wear one.

yes, everyone wearing a mask religiously like in Asian countries would have been a solution. It wouldn’t have been enough to end the pandemic entirely but it would have significantly stopped the spread where it was a low case count.

30 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If you were a physician at St Thomas and got a flu shot, it was tagged on your id. If you did not get a flu shot, one had to wear a mask. Most flu shots are far less efficacious than covid vaccine. So why do you have to wear a mask if you have been vaccinated?

Yes, vaccinated people should still be required to wear masks. Especially as people won’t be forced to prove they have been vaccinated. It might be different if you had to prove you were vaccinated to go anywhere.

If you are saying that people should be required to carry vaccine passports like they had badges at the hospital then I’m fine with that. But as that isn’t going to happen, people need to just wear a fucking mask...

42 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Vanderbilt documented it locally. It is easy to see on a county by county basis, as well as a country by country basis.

I'd assume that mask compliance is highly correlated with taking all covid precautions seriously which would make it hard to say what precautions were the ones that were actually working.

Just now, Titans279 said:

I'd assume that mask compliance is highly correlated with taking all covid precautions seriously which would make it hard to say what precautions were the ones that were actually working.

It wasn’t a measure of mask compliance. It was a measure of counties that mandated masks in public. I’m not sure what other precautions people were taking would vary based on that...

14 hours ago, Rogue said:

Did well until this afternoon.  I got chills and body aches.  Which is somewhat confusing as I've already had it.  I kind of figured it'd be low side effects since I've already had it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  It also makes me question my level of immunity from having it before. 

I think this makes sense actually.

The reason the second dose is generally worse for people is that once your body knows what that virus is it will have a stronger immune response. The first dose is your body figuring it all out. The second dose it has seen it before so it just goes all out.

That's why you as a person who had it could have a stronger response too. Your body has now seen it 3 times so it knows what it is and that it's bad so it responds quicker and with more force.

That's also why younger people and women typically have worse reactions. Their immune systems are stronger so their immune system actually makes them feel worse.

These are all generalizations. At the individual level this could all vary and a man could have a worse reaction than a woman, but in general these things are true.

3 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

It wasn’t a measure of mask compliance. It was a measure of counties that mandated masks in public. I’m not sure what other precautions people were taking would vary based on that...

Having not read the study I can think of a ton of potentially confounding variables. Maybe they tried to account for them.

27 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Wearing a mask definitely helps

Didn't I see that the flu is way down due to people wearing masks?

There's also a theory that it's due to viral competition. While it's possible to have both at the same time in some cases one virus can hamper the replication of another virus. So basically a combination of the covid precautions and covid basically being the superior respiratory virus.

35 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Go drink take some hydroxychloroquine, wash it down with some bleach or wait for it to magically disappear  

Actually, there are a fair number of docs that have been taking HCQ from the beginning.

Its not going to magically disappear unless you achieve immunity. Wearing a mask for years is not a solution but I guess it makes the self righteous happy.

31 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

yes, science...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196655320310439

Results

A total of 6 studies were included, involving 4 countries, after a total of 5,178 eligible articles were searched in databases and references. In general, wearing a mask was associated with a significantly reduced risk of COVID-19 infection (OR = 0.38, 95% CI: 0.21-0.69, I2 = 54.1%). For the healthcare workers group, masks were shown to have a reduced risk of infection by nearly 70%. Sensitivity analysis showed that the results were robust.