Virus in US

pat

Being a white male in his 40's without any pre-existing conditions, that places me in the very bottom tier of vaccination priority.

Meanwhile, people in prison and other non-tax-paying categories will get vaccinated before me.  So will lots of people in lower risk categories.

Time to start looking into short term rentals at assisted living facilities!

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the damndest thing....  Trump supporters making fun of Biden's mental status.    Seriously.  

MERS killed 866 people worldwide. Again, basic math.   Btw, in an entire year, the flu kills 3,500 - 15,500 in the US. They suspect some cases aren't identified and so they estimate up to 61

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Rightly so.

I should be below people in their 20's who are much lower risk due to their age?

And below people who already had the virus, didn't get really sick, and have some level of immunity already?

On 1/25/2021 at 11:03 AM, oldschool said:

Isn't CA still in a bad spot? Why is the order being lifted? Is it simply because people refuse to follow them?

There are a lot of beliefs that Newsome lifted the regional stay at home order early because there is some serious efforts going into a recall. 1.2 Mil signatures have been collected and 1.5 mil is needed by March 17th to qualify for a statewide ballot. Its the 6th recall effort in 2 years.

7 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I should be below people in their 20's who are much lower risk due to their age?

And below people who already had the virus, didn't get really sick, and have some level of immunity already?

You're gonna have to come to terms with the fact that your child rearing days are largely over. You're just a low risk cog in the societal machine now. You won't add much. In fact, you'll probably accumulate and hoard resources.

20 somethings are going to have kids and grow and develop along career paths, laying far more bricks towards the furthering of humanity than you.

17 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

You're gonna have to come to terms with the fact that your child rearing days are largely over. You're just a low risk cog in the societal machine now. You won't add much. In fact, you'll probably accumulate and hoard resources.

20 somethings are going to have kids and grow and develop along career paths, laying far more bricks towards the furthering of humanity than you.

This is funny and a clear avoidance of the actual issue.  Especially since lots of people my age still have kids, especially men.

But what about the other people around my age who do have kids or those whose child rearing days aren't over?  Why are they last in line behind everyone else according to your rationale?

Also, if child rearing and contribution to society were factors, why are inmates and homeless people not dead last in line?

Edited by abenjami

17 minutes ago, abenjami said:

This is funny and a clear avoidance of the actual issue.  Especially since lots of people my age still have kids, especially men.

But what about the other people around my age who do have kids or those whose child rearing days aren't over?  Why are they last in line behind everyone else according to your rationale?

Also, if child rearing and contribution to society were factors, why are inmates and homeless people not dead last in line?

Where are you getting that 40 somethings are behind 20 somethings in the priority order?

6 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Where are you getting that 40 somethings are behind 20 somethings in the priority order?

I will try to find it again and post the link.  There was a document published last month by the CDC (I think) that laid out their recommended vaccination tiers.

25 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Out here where I live, they are prioritizing different age groupings than what the CDC recommended (or at least what I remember reading a few weeks ago).  Here they are putting everyone in the ages 16-49 group last.

Which of course doesn't make a lot of sense to me seeing that statistically people ages 40-59; are significantly more at risk than everyone else who is 16-39. 

Here's a link to my local tiers.

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/dam/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/Epidemiology/covid19/vaccines/COVID-19 Vaccination Phases -Printable Version.pdf

Edited by abenjami

18 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Out here where I live, they are prioritizing different age groupings than what the CDC recommended (or at least what I remember reading a few weeks ago).  Here they are putting everyone in the ages 16-49 group last.

Which of course doesn't make a lot of sense to me seeing that statistically people ages 40-59; are significantly more at risk than everyone else who is 16-39. 

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/dam/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/Epidemiology/covid19/vaccines/COVID-19 Vaccination Phases -Printable Version.pdf

So your problem is that people with underlying health issues will get the vaccine before you? Tough shit...

Edited by Starkiller

23 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Which of course doesn't make a lot of sense to me seeing that statistically people ages 40-49 are about equally at risk as people 50-59; both groups being significantly more at risk than everyone else who is 16-39. 

For Phase 1C (Might be broken out into tiers like 1A and 1 B are?), IDK what the numbers are but I could see High Risk 16-49 year olds being more at risk than a healthy 40 year old. Too lazy to look that up though.

I bet the Phase 2 "General population over 16" will be broken into more tiers later when it's close to happening. Maybe it'll just be a free for all when it's out for everyone lol

I bet that normal 40 year olds will be higher priority than normal 20 year olds though.

Edited by Titans279

7 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

So your problem is that people with underlying health issues will get the vaccine before you? Tough shit...

Uh, no dude.  That isn't my issue with the prioritization.

8 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

For Phase 1C (Might be broken out into tiers like 1A and 1 B are?), IDK what the numbers are but I could see High Risk 16-49 year olds being more at risk than a healthy 40 year old. Too lazy to look that up though.

I bet the Phase 2 "General population over 16" will be broken into more tiers later when it's close to happening. Maybe it'll just be a free for all when it's out for everyone lol

I bet that normal 40 year olds will be higher priority than normal 20 year olds though.

That is a really good point saying that Phase 2 could perhaps be broken down into tiers later when it's close to happening.

You are correct that someone 16-49 with certain conditions is more at risk than a healthy 40 year old.  The same can be said for a healthy 65 year old being less at risk than a 45 year old with certain conditions too.  But I do get we need to draw lines somewhere to create groups and tiers.

I have reviewed a lot of the data and here's my main point.  There is an obvious difference in the data when you look at above 35 and below 35.  Sure, people ages 35-49 are less risk than those who are 50-65, but they are still dying at 3x the rate of people under 35.  Thus, it seems foolish to me to give the same priority to the 16-34 and 35-49 age groups.

The more I read about this stuff the more laughable it becomes.  Check out the list of pre-existing conditions that qualifies people of any age to jump to the front of the line.  "Smoking" is one of them.  So is "obesity" defined at a BMI of >30, which is a total joke because lots of healthy people with BMI's over 30 aren't obese.  BMI is a simple calculation that only takes into account height and weight.  Derrick Henry's BMI is 30.  LOL

Maybe I should just buy a pack of Marlboros?

1 hour ago, abenjami said:

Simplicity.

Also, that post was largely sarcasm. I have no idea what the exact order is or why. That said, a healthy 40 yr old should be towards the back. And I say that as a healthy 38 year old.