Virus in US

pat

1 minute ago, begooode said:

I was actually considering asking our lawyerly posters something along the same lines. The US has strong consumer protection laws to essentially protect us from ourselves in many cases.  As many have been injured, including friends & family, itlooks like it could be a class action type of a case.

I found this: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/broadcasting-false-information

Broadcasting false information that causes substantial 'public harm'

The FCC prohibits broadcasting false information about a crime or a catastrophe if the broadcaster knows the information is false and will cause substantial "public harm" if aired.

FCC rules specifically say that "the public harm: must begin immediately and cause direct and actual damage to property or the health or safety of the general public; or divert law enforcement or public health and safety authorities from their duties."

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the damndest thing....  Trump supporters making fun of Biden's mental status.    Seriously.  

MERS killed 866 people worldwide. Again, basic math.   Btw, in an entire year, the flu kills 3,500 - 15,500 in the US. They suspect some cases aren't identified and so they estimate up to 61

Posted Images

1 minute ago, begooode said:

I was actually considering asking our lawyerly posters something along the same lines. The US has strong consumer protection laws to essentially protect us from ourselves in many cases.  As many have been injured, including friends & family, itlooks like it could be a class action type of a case.

I honestly have no idea.  I don't know much about potential liability for reporting the news and how negligence applies (or doesn't).  My guess is they would have to prove something more than being careless and along the lines of malice or recklessness.

1 minute ago, 9 Nines said:

The FCC prohibits broadcasting false information about a crime or a catastrophe if the broadcaster knows the information is false and will cause substantial "public harm" if aired.

Good luck proving that.

1 hour ago, 9 Nines said:

The virus could be the end of Fox News and Sinclair broadcasting.   By downplaying the virus until recently, many plaintiffs  might have valid suits against them for deaths. 

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-news-worried-about-legal-action-after-misleading-viewers-about-coronavirus

Report: Fox News is worried about legal action after misleading viewers about coronavirus

Vanity Fair's Gabe Sherman: Fox News is concerned their downplaying of Coronavirus exposes them “to potential legal action” from misled viewers

Freedom of the press would probably prevent any lawsuit from being successful. Especially since they would just argue that they had no way to know how bad it was going to be at that point.

“You can sue the pope for bastardy, but can you collect?”

Edited by Starkiller

23 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Freedom of the press would probably prevent any lawsuit from being successful. Especially since they would just argue that they had no way to know how bad it was going to be at that point.

But prime time opinion shows are not the press, so they should be judged on a different standard. Also, I think there’s still an adherence to public safety as a broadcaster. Just thinking there’s a way here, especially if an ulterior motive or strategy could be sussed out that guided their news hosts, that overrode their obligation to public safety.

Again, I go back to Rush Limbaugh and that killer Florida hurricane where he mocked everyone regarding the severity then cleared out at the last minute. Politics aside There needs to be accountability for these types of actions from talking heads where numerous followers put themselves at risk.

Edited by begooode

On 3/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, Starkiller said:

I have a cousin in her 70's living in NYC. She said there have been cases in her building. She said she isn’t leaving her condo anytime soon. And even if she gets sick, she won’t go to the hospital because what's the point?

I have a 65 year old sister who is stuck in Brooklyn, she was in the process of moving out to Long Island where she already has her new apartment set up, but kept dragging her feet and now she's stuck. She has 3 cats and can only corral 2 of them without assistance, so she refused to take the 2 and leave one, despite pleas from all of us to get the hell out. She's a minister and her congregation is out on Long Island; she'd have a much better support system there. I'm really worried about her and my other 68 year old sister who lives just outside New Rochelle.

2 hours ago, Come on Titans said:

I was surprised when they shit-canned Trish Regan....guess they had to sacrifice somebody to complete the "oh fuck, we were really wrong on this one"  flip-flop.

I think the Fox lawyers informed the management of their potential exposure for misinformation...shit changed quickly...

I do not believe in conspiracy theories, I think they are just scared of how shocking it would be - news is ignoring these bodies.  Many people are capturing large number of bodies being put into waiting trailers around NYC hospitals. 

Coronavirus News: President Trump shaken by scenes from NYC's Elmhurst hospital.  The haunting images coming out of Elmhurst Hospital in his native Queens appeared to rattle President Trump on Sunday.

"I've been watching that for the last week on television," he said. "Body bags all over, in hallways. I've been watching them bring in trailer trucks - freezer trucks, they're freezer trucks, because they can't handle the bodies, there are so many of them. This is essentially in my community, in Queens, Queens, New York," he continued. "I've seen things that I've never seen before."

13 patients at the hospital succumbed to the virus in one day last week.

He added, "When I see the trucks pull up, to take out bodies -- I mean, these are trucks as long as the rose garden and they are pulling up to take out bodies and you look inside and you see the black body bags? What's in there? It is Elmhurst hospital. Must be supplies. It is not supplies. It's people.

Just now, patsplat said:

Fauci estimated 100-200k deaths.

Let's put this in perspective.  The bombing of Hiroshima killed ~146k people.

Also worth pointing out that could be optimistic depending on if we can slow the spread and avoid overwhelming our healthcare system