Passing Defense - I'm Begging for a Cornerback

SleepingTitan

Last year during the regular season, we ranked 27th in completions allowed and 23rd in passing yards allowed. We snagged 14 interceptions (middle of the road.)

QBs enjoyed a rating of 90.4 vs the Titans. You guys are asking for a pass rusher. WE NEED A CORNER! Sack wise we were 13th place with 43 sacks. That's not bad, and I expect that to improve with a FA acquisition and Simmons + our linebackers improving. Our weakness is at cornerback. Injuries will happen every year. Our depth sucks. We were literally starting people that came in off the street the week before. I don't expect much improvement from our secondary. At this point, they are as good as they will ever be. 

Edited by SleepingTitan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pressure rate was 25th - way lower than sacks (14th) yet it's more important of a metric.   Their knockdown rate for QB's was last.  If you don't think the pass rush was an issue, you probably cannot

In 2019, Adoree started eleven games and missed five games due to a foot injury.   Adoree started all 16 games in 2017 & 2018 and had one of the highest snap counts on the entire roster,

Getting Butler back and improvement by Hooker and Simmons will both be big helps. Landry is also an improving player, his snaps have to be reduced.    It would be a huge plus if D'Andre Walk

4 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Pressure rate was 25th - way lower than sacks (14th) yet it's more important of a metric.   Their knockdown rate for QB's was last.  If you don't think the pass rush was an issue, you probably cannot be helped.  BTW - depth here was worse than CB at the onset.

As for CB, they need to replace Ryan and improve CB 4 but honestly the simultaneous injuries to Jackson and Butler were pretty devastating in the 2nd half of the season.  It should be doable. 

I agree we need to improve the pass rush, but I'd rather do that in FA and development. Last year we took a value pick on Simmons. I expect our linebackers and Simmons to be better. I don't see our CB situation getting better though. I see it getting worse. Jackson is made of glass. LR might leave. We don't have depth in case of injury. What happens if Byard AND a corner gets hurt?

Also, the whole theory about pressure makes the secondary look better works the other way too. Coverage sacks are a thing. Good coverage allows the pass rush to develop. Butler isn't as good as his recent games. He's a boom or bust type of guy. 

20 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

I agree we need to improve the pass rush, but I'd rather do that in FA and development. Last year we took a value pick on Simmons. I expect our linebackers and Simmons to be better. I don't see our CB situation getting better though. I see it getting worse. Jackson is made of glass. LR might leave. We don't have depth in case of injury. What happens if Byard AND a corner gets hurt?

Also, the whole theory about pressure makes the secondary look better works the other way too. Coverage sacks are a thing. Good coverage allows the pass rush to develop. Butler isn't as good as his recent games. He's a boom or bust type of guy. 

Butler and Jackson are fine and I think they can find a nickel CB and perhaps a future starter in the draft. 

To me, finding an edge rusher is much harder to do...

8 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

Last year during the regular season, we ranked 27th in completions allowed and 23rd in passing yards allowed. We snagged 14 interceptions (middle of the road.)

QBs enjoyed a rating of 90.4 vs the Titans. You guys are asking for a pass rusher. WE NEED A CORNER! Sack wise we were 13th place with 43 sacks. That's not bad, and I expect that to improve with a FA acquisition and Simmons + our linebackers improving. Our weakness is at cornerback. Injuries will happen every year. Our depth sucks. We were literally starting people that came in off the street the week before. I don't expect much improvement from our secondary. At this point, they are as good as they will ever be. 

Jackson is one of the better young CB's in the NFL and Butler is a very good corner. Losing Ryan could be an issue but he is more of a playmaker than a coverage guy. They could add more depth but if any teams starting corners got hurt it would have a big impact. Pass rusher is a much bigger issue

We need help at both spots no doubt, but we played two season last year.  We played the first six games, then the last ten.  Once we started scoring more the defense could play a more relaxed style.  They made some highlight reel stops at goal lines and the 4th down stops in the playoffs were awesome.  The defense that played NE and Balt was pretty damn good.  I think I would go pass rush first to put with the three players @SleepingTitan mentioned. If we could upgrade Ryan, the offseason would be special.  One of the problems with having a year like we has last season is other teams will offer your FA more money.

Our secondary was suspect 2 years ago. They kinda came together before the injuries, and I think that's making you guys forget the inconsistency beforehand. Byard and Ryan were holding that group up by threads. Vacc/Cruik/and some other guys came in and made some plays to save the day. Butler was getting torched 2 years ago. 

It took those guys a while to gel. I expect it to take an equal amount of time for them to get their shit back together once injuries are cleared. With that said, no one here can deny that the depth is ass and Jackson is glass. Jackson, injury prone, is our #1 corner. Let that sink in. A couple years ago, we were wondering if he'd ever have the lightbulb moment. Well he had it for a little while then got hurt... AGAIN

Getting Butler back and improvement by Hooker and Simmons will both be big helps. Landry is also an improving player, his snaps have to be reduced. 

It would be a huge plus if D'Andre Walker was one of the mid round gems by Robinson. There are a lot of people who raved about him. 

5 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

With that said, no one here can deny that the depth is ass and Jackson is glass. Jackson, injury prone, is our #1 corner. Let that sink in. 

In 2019, Adoree started eleven games and missed five games due to a foot injury.

Adoree started all 16 games in 2017 & 2018 and had one of the highest snap counts on the entire roster, second only to Kevin Byard.

Your perception of Jackson is false.

2 hours ago, nine said:

In 2019, Adoree started eleven games and missed five games due to a foot injury.

Adoree started all 16 games in 2017 & 2018 and had one of the highest snap counts on the entire roster, second only to Kevin Byard.

Your perception of Jackson is false.

Please don’t foul up all the off season narratives with easy to find facts.  Now back to the Brady to Titans thread.