David Carr: Mariota Worth Pursuing in FA Over Tannehill

TerryBoats

21 hours ago, titanruss said:

he has to prove he can succeed in the league before anyone should rank him as legitimate on any list.  At this point its silly to say he should be above RT. If we had maintained a moticum of consistency in scheme and did what he did best instead of trying to turn him into kordell stewert.. this argument may have held water.

Mariota looked like a future star under wiz's scheme and mularkeys "wiz adjusted scheme" The next year we got a running game and he learned to throw deep better... after that, the running game faltered, people figured out the O and scouted the QB, and it was all downhill much because the scheme sucked/ didnt fit. mariotas confidence got shot. then he was ruined as a player. I'm sure he'll welcome a fresh start. 

Yea, somewhere else,not in Tennessee

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ever since Carr retired from the NFL and went in to media, his entire agenda seems to be to push the idea busts at QB are team issues and not the fault of the player, subtly or not. It's still clearly

He's about as dumb as half our posters!

? Marcus Mariota, free agent It certainly wasn't an ideal year for Mariota, as he was benched for Ryan Tannehill after a 2-4 start. Consequently, I know you're wondering why Tannehill is below Ma

8 hours ago, big2033 said:

If you haven't figured it out yet ... people's perspective on how to maximize him is all over the place ... just like he is as a player.

Not a good sign.

It just shows me he's a master of none. Which is his M.O. since he's been in the NFL.

So when people see him casually, and when they don't see him pass as effectively as needed ... they think, "run him more!" But when coaches do that and he's not effective fans say, "make him pass you're running him too much he's not Lamar Jackson." But when they make him pass ... people see his struggles and say ... "they should run him more!" 

Wash, rinse, repeat.

He's not a good enough runner and his not a good enough passer to dominate a system. He's Alex Smith with bad pocket presence.

Even Alex Smith game was better than Mariota,let's not kid ourselves

14 hours ago, Mays.clinton said:

Damm,just move on, if we are the reason why he failed miserable then what makes you think it's going to change if we resign him, tannihil played alot better under the same o-line and led us into the playoffs and to the afc conference finals but fans still say tannihil isn't the answer, smh, but Mariota definitely isn't ,and I'll leave it at that

He "MIGHT" make a good XFL  QB.... He's done here..Let him go and wish him well... PLEASE

1 hour ago, big2033 said:

LOL cmon I made a small comparison in terms of style (QB who can run in a straight line with no arm strength and a conservative style).

Don't cremate me.

Locker is a better comparison, seriously. Although  mm has a much weaker arm

Career back-up as Mariota's floor is not a bad thing--personally, I both don't think he'll be more but do think he'll thrive in that role. Consider: 

• Injury concerns mitigated by the backup role 
  • Calm personality that won't rock the boat
  • Good in the community/professionalism department
  • Capable of being a "game manager" type but also can make enough plays to get by 
  • Backup fits better with his less vocal leadership style 

It may take him another stop to get there. For example, I imagine if a team like the Bears brings him in, he will want to compete and push Trubisky for the starting role--and in this situation it's reasonable that he will end up in the line of fire again as a meaningful starter. It's the next stop, where he ends up somewhere like Kansas City as a true backup, where this could really materialize. 

And if it does, good for him. 

Edited by Bink

1 hour ago, Bink said:

Career back-up as Mariota's floor is not a bad thing--personally, I both don't think he'll be more but do think he'll thrive in that role. Consider: 

• Injury concerns mitigated by the backup role 
  • Calm personality that won't rock the boat
  • Good in the community/professionalism department
  • Capable of being a "game manager" type but also can make enough plays to get by 
  • Backup fits better with his less vocal leadership style 

It may take him another stop to get there. For example, I imagine if a team like the Bears brings him in, he will want to compete and push Trubisky for the starting role--and in this situation it's reasonable that he will end up in the line of fire again as a meaningful starter. It's the next stop, where he ends up somewhere like Kansas City as a true backup, where this could really materialize. 

And if it does, good for him. 

My one problem with this is being a quiet leader is good for a back up. I think that is a job suited to someone with my personality. I don't take charge unless I feel it is needed or I am the best for the job. Then I start driving everyone.

Knowing when to an when not to take over is the key to someone in that position.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Locker is a better comparison, seriously. Although  mm has a much weaker arm

You're not wrong. The Alex Smith comparison was a pre-draft scouting report and it's stuck in my head. I believe it was right in terms of style of play. But Mariota is obviously worse. When I make the comparison, I'm in no way saying they're on the same level.

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

You're not wrong. The Alex Smith comparison was a pre-draft scouting report and it's stuck in my head. I believe it was right in terms of style of play. But Mariota is obviously worse. When I make the comparison, I'm in no way saying they're on the same level.

Insert any QB who is dual threat and cannot consistently throw.... 

6 hours ago, big2033 said:

LOL cmon I made a small comparison in terms of style (QB who can run in a straight line with no arm strength and a conservative style).

Don't cremate me.

You may not be totally wrong. This is a cool tool which finds QB's closest comparison with other QBs seasons per analytics. Mariotas 2015 and 2016 are both closest to Alex Smith in 2014! His 2017 was closest to Bridgewater and 2018 to 2016 Bradford. Notice a trend? Weak armed QB's with good mobility who don't take risks.

Tannehills 2019 was closest to 2019 Brees while his 2018 was closest to 2006 David Carr! His jump in play was remarkable. I said it before, I think Tanny was arguably the worst starting QB in the NFL in 2018 and then top 5 the very next year

https://public.tableau.com/profile/daniel.morse#!/vizhome/QBComparisonTool/QBComparisonFinder

Edited by IrishTitansFan