It's not sexy, but we should consider trading down.

Bink

We are in a bit of a unique position with the volume of free agents we're dealing with this upcoming season and the limited amount of draft capital we have. 

I am in the camp that believes we'll bring back Tannehill and Henry, and it's possible we bring back Conklin too. Assuming we don't on the latter, we're in the need for a CB, OT, LB with additional need for RB depth as either Henry insurance/change of pace, interior oline depth, and more weapons across the board. 

We've shown we can hit well when it comes to the second round with AJ Brown and Landry. 

I think the Bears, with 43 and 50, and the Falcons, with 47 and 55, should be on our radar as potential trade down partners. 

Both of these are a win for us in terms of draft value charts. Thoughts? 

Running through a quick scenario via First-pick, accepting a deal with Atlanta means we pick first at 2.15. 

In terms of pass rush, Julian Okwara is still on the board. He's the pick. 

At 2.23, AJ Terrell is still there, as is Trey Adams. I know Terrell profiles here or a bit higher, but Cameron Dantzler is there too, so there's reason to believe a talented CB will be available. I go Terrell. Adams is available at 2.29, so the 6'8 run bruiser is the pick. 

2.15 Julian Okwara, DE/OLB Notre Dame 

2.23 AJ Terrell, CB Clemson 

2.29 Trey Adams, OT Washington

3. 29 Zach Moss, RB Utah

5.28 Thaddeus Moss, TE LSU

6.29 Steven Gonzalez, OG Penn State

It feels like that extra pick really makes a difference, don't you think? 

Edited by Bink

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the Titans circumstance, trading down makes a lot of sense.  But that assumes that OT is worked out first.  Don't think the team has that luxury if OT is still a need. That's why I posted earlier t

We are in a bit of a unique position with the volume of free agents we're dealing with this upcoming season and the limited amount of draft capital we have.    I am in the camp that believes

I hope we do get to trade around. It just makes the draft more fun to watch because you never know when we might pop up on the ticker. The Evans/Landry draft was a fun first couple rounds. And even th

We're way the hell out of the range where we might be able to steal a guy like Simmons after they'd fallen.

JRob has proven that he likes to make deals so if he feels like there are multiple guys he'd like to target with extra picks then he won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

It all hinges on who might be a willing partner. Also, other teams drafting before us, e.g. Ravens, may be inclined to trade down too, which would be a little more appealing to teams like the Bears/Falcons than trading with us.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

1 minute ago, NashvilleNinja said:

We're way the hell out of the range where we might be able to steal a guy like Simmons after they'd fallen.

JRob has proven that he likes to make deals so if he feels like there are multiple guys he'd like to target with extra picks then he won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

It all hinges on who might be a willing partner. Also, other teams drafting before us, e.g. Ravens, may be inclined to trade down too, which would be a little more appealing to teams like the Bears/Falcons than trading with us.

For sure. I am just saying we should be open to it, and looking at some of the scenarios I like what I see. 

In the Titans circumstance, trading down makes a lot of sense.  But that assumes that OT is worked out first.  Don't think the team has that luxury if OT is still a need. That's why I posted earlier that signing Kelly as a starter makes sense.  It opens up the trade down option.  Is Kelly good enough?  We'll see what JRob thinks.

Trading down probably nets a top of the 4th pick in return.

Edited by ctm

Just now, Bink said:

For sure. I am just saying we should be open to it, and looking at some of the scenarios I like what I see. 

I hope we do get to trade around. It just makes the draft more fun to watch because you never know when we might pop up on the ticker. The Evans/Landry draft was a fun first couple rounds. And even then JRob wasn't done. Didn't he trade up to get Cruikshank?

If nothing else JRob is an exciting ass GM. How many fans of other teams can say that?

8 minutes ago, ctm said:

In the Titans circumstance, trading down makes a lot of sense.  But that assumes that OT is worked out first.  Don't think the team has that luxury if OT is still a need. That's why I posted earlier that signing Kelly as a starter makes sense.  It opens up the trade down option.  Is Kelly good enough?  We'll see what JRob thinks.

Trading down probably nets a top of the 4th pick in return.

In this scenario, my assumption was that we didn't get Conklin, but got Kelly. Adams to push Kelly makes sense to me--or another T in that spot. I don't think going in with Kelly sets the world on fire, but having someone like Adams to push him would make me a lot more comfortable. 

Another scenario--a trade down with Miami to 2.7. They are game to pick up Tyler Biadasz and want to jump over the Seahawks and some of the teams picking at the top of 2. We make that happen and net an extra 3rd. 

47 minutes ago, Bink said:

We are in a bit of a unique position with the volume of free agents we're dealing with this upcoming season and the limited amount of draft capital we have. 

I am in the camp that believes we'll bring back Tannehill and Henry, and it's possible we bring back Conklin too. Assuming we don't on the latter, we're in the need for a CB, OT, LB with additional need for RB depth as either Henry insurance/change of pace, interior oline depth, and more weapons across the board. 

We've shown we can hit well when it comes to the second round with AJ Brown and Landry. 

I think the Bears, with 43 and 50, and the Falcons, with 47 and 55, should be on our radar as potential trade down partners. 

Both of these are a win for us in terms of draft value charts. Thoughts? 

Running through a quick scenario via First-pick, accepting a deal with Atlanta means we pick first at 2.15. 

In terms of pass rush, Julian Okwara is still on the board. He's the pick. 

At 2.23, AJ Terrell is still there, as is Trey Adams. I know Terrell profiles here or a bit higher, but Cameron Dantzler is there too, so there's reason to believe a talented CB will be available. I go Terrell. Adams is available at 2.29, so the 6'8 run bruiser is the pick. 

2.15 Julian Okwara, DE/OLB Notre Dame 

2.23 AJ Terrell, CB Clemson 

2.29 Trey Adams, OT Washington

3. 29 Zach Moss, RB Utah

5.28 Thaddeus Moss, TE LSU

6.29 Steven Gonzalez, OG Penn State

It feels like that extra pick really makes a difference, don't you think? 

As someone who doesn’t believe in Tannehill, I think you draft a qb in the first round.  You may even want to trade up.    If they don’t draft a qb, then trading down is the best option.

4 hours ago, dcblanton said:

As someone who doesn’t believe in Tannehill, I think you draft a qb in the first round.  You may even want to trade up.    If they don’t draft a qb, then trading down is the best option.

I think if you don't believe in Tannehill, trading down is realistically a good option for us to get a QB to push him. 

Yes, the Titans should absolutely do their due diligence on Love and Tua. If you feel like Love is Mahomes or something--if you really believe that of course you have to go and get him, like the Chiefs did with their guy. 

I don't think that's realistic for us for a variety of reasons. 

Trading down means we can still address to immediate roster needs and get a QBOTF prospect. Fromm and Eason could very well be available in the middle of the second. 

Edited by Bink

20 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

Depends on the state of the roster. Just as likely he moves up if someone has fallen that he loves.

Maybe, but I think this is less likely because of the lack of draft and roster capital and the need to have players on rookie contracts. 

3 hours ago, Bink said:

I think if you don't believe in Tannehill, trading down is realistically a good option for us to get a QB to push him. 

Yes, the Titans should absolutely do their do diligence on Love and Tua. If you feel like Love is Mahomes or something--if you really believe that of course you have to go and get him, like the Chiefs did with their guy. 

I don't think that's realistic for us for a variety of reasons. 

Trading down means we can still address to immediate roster needs and get a QBOTF prospect. Fromm and Eason could very well be available in the middle of the second. 

Wtf does anyone see in love. I have asked this like 4 times and no one says anything. He looks like a backup midwest confrence bum with stats 2 match.

Two additional second rounders would be great. I’d even be interested in a high 2nd and an additional 3rd. Either way, we could probably get a pretty decent haul if someone like Tua, Eason, Fromm or Love is still available at our pick. I could see a team trading up for our pick just to get the 5th year option on a qb. 

Otherwise, Atlanta or Chicago would need to fall in love with a skill position player that dropped. In that scenario, we may be interested in the same guy and just take him. 

This would be my first choice — though I think it’s more likely we fill the back end of the roster with cheap FAs and UDFA’s. Try and get more Correas and Khalif Raymond.

Edited by Thrill