Jayon Brown needs to be extended now

kyle021

This man will command top dollar next year. 

Once thought of as a Nickel LB that turned into an every down LB and is scheme versatile in the sense he can play ILB in a 3-4 and ILB and WLB in a 4-3

what do you think he would command?

i was thinking 4-5 years for 50-60 million with 30 guaranteed but idk what type of contract LB’s like him last signed? He won’t get Mosley or Barr type money. That’ll be Evans, but I think he gets Deion Jones type cash

52 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Extending him now might save a bunch of money so the real question is if he is a keeper, someone you really want for the long haul.

Obviously JRob thought Byard was. 

Jayon is absolutely a keeper, without a doubt.   He might the single most underrated player on the defensive side of the ball....he’s a pro-Bowl caliber talent (IMO) but nobody outside Tennessee knows his name.

The big question:  for the long-term outlook, how many “keepers” can the team afford to keep at the market rate?     

27 minutes ago, nine said:

Jayon is absolutely a keeper, without a doubt.   He might the single most underrated player on the defensive side of the ball....he’s a pro-Bowl caliber talent (IMO) but nobody outside Tennessee knows his name.

The big question:  for the long-term outlook, how many “keepers” can the team afford to keep at the market rate?     

Or.....where does he rate in the pecking order of A. Jackson, J. Smith, D. Jones and C. Davis for next year?  How easy/hard is he to replace and how much drop off will there be with his replacement?

8 minutes ago, ctm said:

Or.....where does he rate in the pecking order of A. Jackson, J. Smith, D. Jones and C. Davis for next year?  How easy/hard is he to replace and how much drop off will there be with his replacement?

Brown to me is someone you should try and extend early for a reasonable amount.  If not, you let him walk.  A successful team should be able to replace his production if he decides to try and get top dollar....  I view Jonnu in a similar way.

Can't sign everyone....

Jonnu is a guy I wait to extend. Davis as well.  

you can make a very good argument that Adoree should be extended as well but we have the fifth hear option so in a way using that in him gives him two more years with us before we have to tag, resign or let him walk. Adoree is extremely underrated here and hated bc he doesn’t rack up INT’s but he’s damn good in coverage. 

Brown, is a core piece. Him and Evans are likey a top 3-5 ILB unit in the league. Possibly top 3. 

you extend him now before his yearly reaches double digits 

49 minutes ago, ctm said:

Brown, jackson, jones, smith, davis

Contracts will be something like..

10mil, 10mil, 6mil, 5mil, 4mil

2 minutes ago, kyle021 said:

Jonnu is a guy I wait to extend. Davis as well.  

you can make a very good argument that Adoree should be extended as well but we have the fifth hear option so in a way using that in him gives him two more years with us before we have to tag, resign or let him walk. Adoree is extremely underrated here and hated bc he doesn’t rack up INT’s but he’s damn good in coverage. 

Brown, is a core piece. Him and Evans are likey a top 3-5 ILB unit in the league. Possibly top 3. 

you extend him now before his yearly reaches double digits 

I would say they are thr best. Oddly I think they would both be better in a 4-3. If you had a urlacher type in the middle with them at olb I think they would be hof level good.

2 minutes ago, Callidus said:

I would say they are thr best. Oddly I think they would both be better in a 4-3. If you had a urlacher type in the middle with them at olb I think they would be hof level good.

Evans would be the Mike in a 43

1 hour ago, ctm said:

Corey Davis and DaQuan Jones aren't even on the list of guys to keep. They are both gone when their deals run out. 

Jackson will get the 5th year option tying him up for two more years.

I'd look to extend Jonnu Smith and Jayon Brown before training camp starts this season.

Brown has a 2.1 mill base salary this year, they could do an extension without much of a cap his this season

The bigger issue is the team is in line to possible pay a lot of guaranteed money

Real money is likely a bigger concern than cap space 

57 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Brown has a 2.1 mill base salary this year, they could do an extension without much of a cap his this season

The bigger issue is the team is in line to possible pay a lot of guaranteed money

Real money is likely a bigger concern than cap space 

AAS still not rolling in it?