PFF Top 101 Players of 2019

TeamRamrod

PFF just put out their top 101 players of the season and I think it’s notable for the Titans. There’s no Titan player in the top 60, but there are 7 in the back half.

The Titans tied the Eagles and Saints as the teams with the most players on the list.

61. QB RYAN TANNEHILL, TENNESSEE TITANS

Ryan Tannehill had one of the most improbable seasons of any player in the NFL in 2019. Brought in as little more than a cheap insurance policy, he ended up rescuing the team's season after he reversed the 2-4 start Marcus Mariota had guided them to and ultimately took them to the playoffs. Tannehill ended the regular season with the No. 1 overall PFF grade among quarterbacks and had 23 big-time throws to just 12 turnover-worthy plays. Only a lackluster playoff campaign kept him from being higher on the list even though he didn't start until Week 7.

65. RB DERRICK HENRY, TENNESSEE TITANS

Few players propelled themselves up in estimation more than Derrick Henry this season. He ended the year as the league's rushing champion and was the workhorse of the team's offense in their playoff victories against top opposition. Henry rushed for 1,268 yards after contact this season, breaking 58 tackles in the regular season and averaging more than four yards after contact per carry. He benefited in a big way from both an offensive line that improved hugely over the season and one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the game once Ryan Tannehill took over as the starter, but Henry was extremely impressive in his own right this season nonetheless.

78. WR A.J. BROWN, TENNESSEE TITANS

Had Ryan Tannehill been starting all season long, and performed at the level he did in the regular season, rookie A.J. Brown could well have been significantly higher on this list. The two forged an immediate and potent connection. From the point Tannehill started, only Julio Jones and Michael Thomas had a higher PFF receiving grade than Brown. The rookie led all receivers in yards per route run over that time, with a Julio-esque figure of 2.98. Brown also slips down the list a little by being relatively shut down in the postseason, as the Titans' passing game as a whole struggled to maintain its level against the better teams in the conference.

81. T JACK CONKLIN, TENNESSEE TITANS

After a couple of less impressive seasons, Jack Conklin ended the season exactly matching the overall PFF grade he managed in a rookie season that impressed so much. His 80.6 was heading in the right direction by the end of the year, and he was playing his best football in the playoffs against some of the better defensive fronts he faced. Conklin had the fifth-best run-blocking grade of any tackle in the league and gave up just three total pressures in three postseason performances.

88. T TAYLOR LEWAN, TENNESSEE TITANS

Taylor Lewan didn't start the season due to suspension, but he ended it playing like the best tackle in football in the postseason. Whether it was simply rust, or an epiphany during the year in recognizing he needed to play better, Lewan became a monster down the stretch and into the biggest games of Tennessee's season. On the season (including the playoffs), he allowed just 12 total pressures and had the best PFF run-blocking grade of any left tackle in the postseason, crushing defenders to open up running lanes for Derrick Henry to carry the offense.

89. CB ADOREE' JACKSON, TENNESSEE TITANS

Making his first appearance on the PFF Top 101, Titans cornerback Adoree' Jackson had the best season of his young career in an improved Tennessee defense. Jackson didn't get a single interception over the course of the season, but he did notch 10 pass breakups and had eight games in which he allowed 25 or fewer receiving yards. Jackson didn't allow 100-plus receiving yards in any single game and was a big part of the Titans' forward step this season.

95. C BEN JONES, TENNESSEE TITANS

This wasn't a vintage year for center play, but Ben Jones was a part of an offensive line that turned itself around over the course of the season and was made to look significantly better once a change at quarterback was made. While Marcus Mariota had been badly stressing his pass protection and undermining them on many dropbacks, Tannehill was better at operating within the structure of the play. Jones ended the season having surrendered just ten total pressures, and he had impressive grades as both a pass protector and run blocker.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-101-players-from-the-2019-nfl-season

Edited by TeamRamrod

28 minutes ago, titanruss said:

We need more D players on that list. 

Are you saying more player deserve to be on the list or we need to improve the defense?

I would say byard and jayon should be on it and we have a few others that would be honourable mentions. But we obviously need to improve the defense in a few places.

33 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Good for Ben Jones since half the board has wanted to get rid of the guy for the last three years.

Hate that we might let our RT go but... all he can do is run block claims the same half of the board that wanted to get rid of Jones.......

Heis top 10 in pass block win rate at 92% which is the same as lewan. Lewan is on a island and they chip for conk but the whole he sucks at pass blocking thing is a joke.

1 hour ago, Callidus said:

Are you saying more player deserve to be on the list or we need to improve the defense?

I would say byard and jayon should be on it and we have a few others that would be honourable mentions. But we obviously need to improve the defense in a few places.

i'm saying our defense needs to show out more so that players we have will be added. we need a better defense to compete. we've got lots of players and talent, but most of the best are fairly young and will continue to grow. i guess they arent considered top tier yet. byard should be there before adoree IMO

1 minute ago, titanruss said:

i'm saying our defense needs to show out more so that players we have will be added. we need a better defense to compete. we've got lots of players and talent, but most of the best are fairly young and will continue to grow. i guess they arent considered top tier yet. byard should be there before adoree IMO

Agreed.

1 hour ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Wait, wheres the all worldly Kevin Byard that was snubbed from the Pro Bowl?????

Couldn't even make the top 101 by the "experts"?

The disrespect is rEaL

I would say fuck yourself but even you have enough dignity to not sleep with you.

8 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Lewan is way too low

He turned defenders into fertilizer in the rub game and only gave up something like 12 pressures over 14 games. The hate for him is as stupid as the lack of praise for conk.

Edit: I fixed rub to run before I posted this. But it did not go through I am going to leave it because it is funny.

Edited by Callidus

21 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Lewan is way too low

It’s based on their grade for the entire season and you will recall he had a rocky start. Rocky enough that I had to argue with some dipshits on this board that he shouldn’t be benched or traded.

13 minutes ago, TeamRamrod said:

It’s based on their grade for the entire season and you will recall he had a rocky start. Rocky enough that I had to argue with some dipshits on this board that he shouldn’t be benched or traded.

It is not even on that. Tanny was the top qb. Unless they take points away for not playing it makes no sense. And I like pff.

2 hours ago, TeamRamrod said:

Out of curiosity, how do you personally rank Lewan against other LT's in the league?  Give me your top 5 or 10, I am curious to know where you put Lewan.