Sign in to follow this  
tgo

TGO's Offseason Plan

I think some of your cap stuff is off.  If they tender their EFRA's and cut the guys you mention, OTC says they would have 66.2 M in cap space to work with, not 83 M.

Agree that they find ways to keep Tannehill and Henry albeit IDK about that Henry contract you projected...

As for the others, personally, I try to keep Conklin with the idea that Saffold is the odd guy out in a couple of years.  I also would really try to keep Wake at a reduced salary as a rotational piece.

I wouldn't let Conklin just walk out the door, franchise tag him and trade him bring forward that potential 2021 comp pick into the 2020 Draft, as good as the top of the OT class looks in this draft there are still teams that are going to miss out and would be willing to trade a day 2 pick (more likely round 3) for Conklin to secure a starting RT.

Also if you let Conklin walk and turn around and sign Clowney that likely wipes out a 3rd round comp pick in 2021, if you are going to lose Conklin make sure you don't not get anything in return.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

11 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I think some of your cap stuff is off.  If they tender their EFRA's and cut the guys you mention, OTC says they would have 66.2 M in cap space to work with, not 83 M.

Agree that they find ways to keep Tannehill and Henry albeit IDK about that Henry contract you projected...

As for the others, personally, I try to keep Conklin with the idea that Saffold is the odd guy out in a couple of years.  I also would really try to keep Wake at a reduced salary as a rotational piece.

My calculation that I had previously was over-estimating the cap increase and rollover since we added some guys toward the end of the year. Forgot to update my calculation after the season it looks like. 

It should be roughly 73-75M in space to start with at least I think. Regardless, we can structure the big contracts to get under enough to add the depth guys and still end up with about 10-15M left, and then you have to take out the rookie pool. 

Edited by tgo

4 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I wouldn't let Conklin just walk out the door, franchise tag him and trade him bring forward then potential 2021 comp pick into the 2020 Draft, as good as the top of the OT class looks in this draft there are still teams that are going to miss out and would be willing to trade a day 2 pick (more likely round 3) for Conklin to secure a starting RT.

I would agree if I didn't think we're going to have to franchise tag Henry. 

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

I would agree if I didn't think we're going to have to franchise tag Henry. 

This is why I mentioned the possibility of a new CBA as critical for the Titans this offseason, the best way to handle Henry is transition tag him and let him test his value on the open market I just don't see any team putting together an offer the Titans would flat out refuse to match.

If you can transition tag Henry it leaves the franchise tag to deal with Conklin, this obviously only works if you can do a long term deal with Tannehill before the tag deadline arrives.

If the Titans don't have the leverage of using both tags it might be a bit harder to sign both Henry/Tannehill before the tag deadline arrives.

4 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

This is why I mentioned the possibility of a new CBA as critical for the Titans this offseason, the best way to handle Henry is transition tag him and let him test his value on the open market I just don't see any team putting together an offer the Titans would flat out refuse to match.

If you can transition tag Henry it leaves the franchise tag to deal with Conklin, this obviously only works if you can do a long term deal with Tannehill before the tag deadline arrives.

If the Titans don't have the leverage of using both tags it might be a bit harder to sign both Henry/Tannehill before the tag deadline arrives.

I really don't see them using the transition tag, it really prohibits you from being able to structure the deal the way you want to, and I think the CBA will get done before the start of the new league year anyway. 

And what happens if Dan Snyder comes along and offers him some ridiculous contract?

Edited by tgo

Spotrac shows the cap at 48M for 51 players.

Over-the-cap show the cap at 50.7M for 51 guys.

Cutting the 4 players listed saves 18.34M according to over-the-cap.

That would give the team either 66.34M or 69.04M depending on whose number you go with.  That number would apply to 47 guys. 

1 minute ago, ctm said:

Spotrac shows the cap at 48M for 51 players.

Over-the-cap show the cap at 50.7M for 51 guys.

Cutting the 4 players listed saves 18.34M according to over-the-cap.

That would give the team either 66.34M or 69.04M depending on whose number you go with.  That number would apply to 47 guys. 

They're using the most conservative range of the cap increase though, so should be able to get another 2-3M at least if the cap is at the max range. 

The ERFA guys would probably be the guys excluded in the top 51 formula once their tenures were executed. 

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

I really don't see them using the transition tag, it really prohibits you from being able to structure the deal the way you want to, and I think the CBA will get done before the start of the new league year anyway. 

Sounds like the NFLPA Player Reps are really digging in on the 17 game season issue, talks at a critical point right now.