Could Detroit Look To Trade Stafford And Draft QB With 3rd Pick?

MIKE75

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has been a staple for the franchise since 2009. Now, the Lions could reportedly be looking to trade Stafford this offseason.

According to The South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Omar Kelly, there is increasing chatter around the NFL that Stafford might be traded. 

The Lions find themselves at a crossroad. Detroit holds the No. 3 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, a spot where Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa will likely be available. As argued here, the Lions could ultimately benefit more in the long-term by trading Stafford this offseason.

Stafford, 31, missed the final two months of this season with fractures in his back, but he does expect to be cleared for the offseason training program. Before suffering the season-ending injury, Stafford was playing at an MVP-caliber level, with 19 passing touchdowns, 2,499 passing yards and a 106 quarterback rating in eight games.

If the Lions ultimately decide to trade Stafford, there will be plenty of teams interested in the star quarterback with four seasons remaining on his contract.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/could-holding-no-3-draft-pick-entice-lions-to-trade-stafford/ar-BBZiLFx?ocid=spartandhp

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know ... this is not a bad options if we could get him for cheap(er).   Stafford IMO has more talent and a better career than Tannehill, and could be even more effective than him in an o

In all of Stafford's years in Detroit, he's never had anything even approaching a running game like ours. He's never really had a good defense either. I think he'd look real good here. 

If he was only 8 years old...............

Posted Images

1 minute ago, MIKE75 said:

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has been a staple for the franchise since 2009. Now, the Lions could reportedly be looking to trade Stafford this offseason.

According to The South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Omar Kelly, there is increasing chatter around the NFL that Stafford might be traded. 

The Lions find themselves at a crossroad. Detroit holds the No. 3 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, a spot where Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa will likely be available. As argued here, the Lions could ultimately benefit more in the long-term by trading Stafford this offseason.

Stafford, 31, missed the final two months of this season with fractures in his back, but he does expect to be cleared for the offseason training program. Before suffering the season-ending injury, Stafford was playing at an MVP-caliber level, with 19 passing touchdowns, 2,499 passing yards and a 106 quarterback rating in eight games.

If the Lions ultimately decide to trade Stafford, there will be plenty of teams interested in the star quarterback with four seasons remaining on his contract.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/could-holding-no-3-draft-pick-entice-lions-to-trade-stafford/ar-BBZiLFx?ocid=spartandhp

You know ... this is not a bad options if we could get him for cheap(er).

Stafford IMO has more talent and a better career than Tannehill, and could be even more effective than him in an offense where he doesn't have to do the heavy lifting.

He also would come cheaper.

Sure, they could absolutely start looking towards the future while they have a high draft pick if there is a guy they like at #3. It’s not like they are going anywhere with Stafford in 2020.

That said, I’m not sure who is going to trade for him if they know the Lions are going to move on. They could just wait for him to be released. He has a $6M roster bonus coming due in a month. But I guess someone like the Bucs or Chargers might be looking for a short term vet.

Edited by Starkiller

7 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Sure, they could absolutely start looking towards the future while they have a high draft pick if there is a guy they like at #3. It’s not like they are going anywhere with Sanford in 2020.

That said, I’m not sure who is going to trade for him if they know the Lions are going to move on. They could just wait for him to be released. He has a $6M roster bonus coming due in a month. But I guess someone like the Bucs or Chargers might be looking for a short term vet.

The Lions could just keep him. His price tag isn't that high in comparison to other QBs.

15 minutes ago, big2033 said:

You know ... this is not a bad options if we could get him for cheap(er).

Stafford IMO has more talent and a better career than Tannehill, and could be even more effective than him in an offense where he doesn't have to do the heavy lifting.

He also would come cheaper.

Stafford has a losing career record.  Can anyone honestly say that he's had things worse in Detroit than Tannehill had in Miami? 

I've watched him for years.  He's like Matt Ryan.  People who claim that everything needs to be perfect in order for Tannehill tio be successful really need to take a look at some of the "better" QBs in the league.

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

The Lions could just keep him. His price tag isn't that high in comparison to other QBs.

Just start the rookie. Unless they are going to draft Tua, there is no reason at all to keep a top rookie QB on the bench.

Before the Titans brought Tannehill in last season i actually posted on the possibility of the Titans going after Stafford to get them over the hump. We all knew that Mariota was the main thing holding the Titans back due to his subpar play. Tannehill actually did what i thought Stafford would've done if he would've been given the opportunity to play in Tennessee. 

We have our starter now in Tannehill BUT some team needing QB help would be crazy not to try and look into Stafford.

Sometimes all a QB needs is a change of scenery like Rich Gannon,Kurt Warner,Alex Smith,Ryan Tannehill,etc.

After struggling with injuries his first two years Stafford was able to play eight straight seasons without missing a game until 2019.

Stafford had seven straight seasons throwing for 4,000 or more yards. 

He has 34 game winning drives and 28 fourth quarter comebacks in his career.

Stafford could be the missing piece for some team that plays well but lacks a good starting QB.

9 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Stafford has a losing career record.  Can anyone honestly say that he's had things worse in Detroit than Tannehill had in Miami? 

I've watched him for years.  He's like Matt Ryan.  People who claim that everything needs to be perfect in order for Tannehill tio be successful really need to take a look at some of the "better" QBs in the league.

Fair enough. However, considering his price tag and overall performance it's a better Tannehill alternative than the other ones I've heard.

I could see Arians in Tampa going after Stafford if he becomes available.

I think Arians is done with Winston.

Stafford can do all the things Winston can and doesnt throw a lot of picks which is why Arians will move on from Winston.

If Stafford doesn't Rivers could also end up in Tampa IF Indy doesn't come calling first.

Edited by MIKE75

26 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Just start the rookie. Unless they are going to draft Tua, there is no reason at all to keep a top rookie QB on the bench.

The whole premise of this idea is that they might draft Tua. 

12 minutes ago, Bink said:

The whole premise of this idea is that they might draft Tua. 

Likely posturing to get a team to trade up with them. The GM and HC are on the hotseat. Why would you take Tua when you’re clinging on to your job.

33 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Fair enough. However, considering his price tag and overall performance it's a better Tannehill alternative than the other ones I've heard.

Same age as Tannehill. Would be a better alternative than the other options definitely. Something about Stafford though. He’s got franchise QB ability but ultimately a losing record and zero playoff wins. I guess you can blame the org but if he was so great you think he’d have a playoff win by now. He’s been in the league more than long enough.