2020 Free Agency News and Rumors

Jonboy

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t care if you donate or not, @8MM ...   But there is a PayPal link that is one time literally right beside the Patreon one. People give what they want when they want. There was even a

Probably in exchange for JJ Watt and the Texans best remaining draft pick...

Posted Images

4 hours ago, tgo said:

Same. 

As I said earlier, they’re gonna roll into the draft needing a starter at CB, DL, RT and a major need at RB. 

One of these is going to need to be filled by a free agent after the draft I’m guessing. 

Not sure about needing a starter at corner.  Jackson/Butler start outside and I think Robinson drafted Hooker last year to be the slot corner this year.   Wasn't he the #1 rated slot corner in college or something like that?  I would imagine he gets every opportunity to take that job.  Certainly need depth though.

25 minutes ago, Jas said:

Not sure about needing a starter at corner.  Jackson/Butler start outside and I think Robinson drafted Hooker last year to be the slot corner this year.   Wasn't he the #1 rated slot corner in college or something like that?  I would imagine he gets every opportunity to take that job.  Certainly need depth though.

My concern is that he would have the same weakness against speed guys that Ryan had.

But yes, he was a great slot defender at Iowa. And he would still be way cheaper than Ryan. And they could still draft a corner.

Edited by Starkiller

I would've liked to have been more aggressive in FA but the reality is most teams that improve a lot do it thru rookies & 2nd & 3rd year guys. Hooker was mentioned & is a great example. I think he's going to be a very good slot corner & a big upgrade over Ryan, who was abused last year. While everybody has moved on from Corey Davis I still think he can be a big time WR, especially if he really dealt with turf toe. He apparently was uncoverable in camp last year. Turf toe is brutal. Jonnu produced while only getting 8 months to recover from an ACL. Same with Simmons. Evans was a monster in the playoffs. Hump & Butler were both hurt. Some of these guys bouncing back or improving is where we get better.

Looking back we should've kept Conklin with all thus space but Kelly is fine. If Tannehill plays to his contest this team will be right in the mix. It's a very good roster.

I haven't seen any mention of Hooker actually in the slot at CB. Also the 3 safety packages are a pretty big part of the defense. I wonder if the nickel defense with 3 CBs and the 2 safety packages are different enough for Hooker to do both? But if Hooker is moving to clot CB and not doing both then safety becomes a big need. 

Not to mention Hooker is the back-up safety if one of the starters go down.

I've heard draft analysis say you can get a slot CB in the draft who can play as a rookie, I think that's they'll do. They tend to not go as high as pure outside guys. 

4 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

Extending Brown and Smith should be a priority if we miss out on the Clowney sweepstakes.

It should and will be regardless 

Amani Hooker is not an every down slot player. He’s the “big nickel” in three safety looks, like Duron Harmon with the Patriots, and is a dime package player. And of course the backup swing safety. 

But he’s not your every down nickel corner, he’d be easily exposed in this role. 

Not once has he ever lined up in slot coverage man to man on a player in TN, he’s only played as a third safety in zone coverages. 

We’re going to draft a corner high to play nickel most likely. 

Edited by tgo

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

Amani Hooker is not an every down slot player. He’s the “big nickel” in three safety looks, like Duron Harmon with the Patriots, and is a dime package player. And of course the backup swing safety. 

But he’s not your every down nickel corner, he’d be easily exposed in this role. 

Not once has he ever lined up in slot coverage man to man on a player in TN, he’s only played as a third safety in zone coverages. 

We’re going to draft a corner high to play nickel most likely. 

And that has nothing to do with us already paying someone $10M to fill that role?  He was pretty damn good in the slot in college, and the timing pick with Ryan's expiring contract at least justifies some speculation.

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

Not once has he ever lined up in slot coverage man to man on a player in TN

I've never even seen it mentioned by the coaches or Mike Keith or anyone of substance 

10 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I haven't seen any mention of Hooker actually in the slot at CB. Also the 3 safety packages are a pretty big part of the defense. I wonder if the nickel defense with 3 CBs and the 2 safety packages are different enough for Hooker to do both? But if Hooker is moving to clot CB and not doing both then safety becomes a big need. 

I've heard draft analysis say you can get a slot CB in the draft who can play as a rookie, I think that's they'll do. They tend to not go as high as pure outside guys. 

I had not thought about hooker being byards back-up. This is a good point. While I think he could play nb and the 3rd safety roll depending on which d we are running we would still need another saftey.

28 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

And that has nothing to do with us already paying someone $10M to fill that role?  He was pretty damn good in the slot in college, and the timing pick with Ryan's expiring contract at least justifies some speculation.

Just from a skill perspective, Hooker is slower than Logan Ryan and a more rugged/choppy mover. Also 15-20 pounds heavier at the same height. 

He could play nickel in zone coverages but would have to flip to safety in man coverage to only cover TEs and RBs. He could maybe play man on a bigger less quick receiver but he’d get destroyed in man vs a fast/quick slot player. 

Maybe they will use him some in nickel coverages as the nickel, but I don’t think he’d be universal in the role. 

He’s similar in some ways to Vincent Fuller if you guys remember him (although bulkier). He played nickel in our zone defense but he was not a true corner and couldnt cover man in the slot. 

Edited by tgo

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

We will have to wait and see what happens. As the roster stands now, Hooker would probably be the best slot guy on the roster. But between the draft and what remains of free agency that can certainly change quickly. And I don’t think him being the primary backup S changes the idea that they could use him in the slot as long as the starting safeties are both healthy.

Also, it partially depends on the defensive scheme. If they are in a zone then I don’t think Hooker's speed is too much of a detriment. Now, if they are playing man coverage then certainly he is a bad matchup against any WR with good speed. But you could have said the same for Ryan.

If I remember correctly, Hooker played the slot on passing downs when he played at that shitty Eastern Iowa college. He was pretty damn good at it too. Just saying

• Jonboy unpinned this topic