15 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Don't use the same "I wanna believe" BS on Davis that a lot used on Mariota. 

Look back at his college tape. He was great because he was bigger and faster. And the tackling he faced was terrible. 

He is no longer bigger and faster than most of his competitors. 

The difference between their contracts is a eye sore sure, but Diggs' contract for a WR is not bad at all. Cooper is about to get more and isnt any better. And outside of Henry (who is most likely here for only one more year on the FT) we have very little money invested in the playmaking positions. 

And as good as he was. As great as he was. We can't assume Brown duplicating and/or improving on last year is a gaurentee. 

Davis had over 900 yards a couple years ago when he was healthy in a worse passing offense. He has shown ability, he struggled with turf toe so there is still reason for optimism with him imo

On 2/14/2020 at 12:48 PM, Soxcat said:

But what is hard for me to understand is why we couldn't get Conklin for some discount (even just a mil per year) and if he is that good, in that much demand, why are we not giving a rats ass if he leaves.

Kelly is not close to the same caliber of player.  There is a huge reason Conklin has this much value.  He will not be easy to replace.

Because Conklin isn't that good and certainly isn't worth the money other teams might pay out to desperation for an OT.

It was an open secret last year that the team wasn't planning on a 2nd contract for Conklin. Everyone in the media and close to the team was confident Conklin would be gone. He got a ton of help his first (and most successful) year. When recieving less help, he looked terrible at times. He's a very good run blocker and flat out bad pass protector. 

So do you trust JRob? He traded up for Conklin and has had no problem paying OL. Letting him walk actually makes that pick look worse for JRob. Yet, the coaches seem totally fine moving on. 

Forget the stats: this staff doesn't value Conklin that much. 

First of all PFF and the rest of the NFL think Conklin is pretty damn good.  So this la la land thinking we are the only smart ones that know how bad he sucks is moronic.

Secondly, they passed on his 5th year option because he ws coming off an off year due to injury and they weren't sure.  They now wish they had taken the option.

Thirdly, if we let him walk, and that isn't even a given at this point, it is because they have to decide on someone to let walk.  Not because they really want to.

21 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

First of all PFF and the rest of the NFL think Conklin is pretty damn good.  So this la la land thinking we are the only smart ones that know how bad he sucks is moronic.

Secondly, they passed on his 5th year option because he ws coming off an off year due to injury and they weren't sure.  They now wish they had taken the option.

Thirdly, if we let him walk, and that isn't even a given at this point, it is because they have to decide on someone to let walk.  Not because they really want to.

I wouldn’t put much faith in what the rest of the NFL thinks. A lot of organizations have no idea how to identify offensive linemen. That coupled with how poor the quality is across the league, you see teams spend a lot to throw darts. 

DJ Humphries just got $15 mil a year  because they can’t afford to let even him walk. Nate Solder was the highest paid offensive lineman in the league two years ago. 

I don’t think anyone sensible would argue that Conklin isn’t a decent player in the current market. It’s just a shaky situation when you have to make a guy one of the highest paid offensive linemen in the league when you also have a lot of other big decisions to make at the same time. I wasn’t huge on Conklin coming out and he hasn’t surpassed my expectations too much so maybe that’s affecting how I feel about him as a player though.

1 hour ago, cenj said:

Because Conklin isn't that good and certainly isn't worth the money other teams might pay out to desperation for an OT.

It was an open secret last year that the team wasn't planning on a 2nd contract for Conklin. Everyone in the media and close to the team was confident Conklin would be gone. He got a ton of help his first (and most successful) year. When recieving less help, he looked terrible at times. He's a very good run blocker and flat out bad pass protector. 

So do you trust JRob? He traded up for Conklin and has had no problem paying OL. Letting him walk actually makes that pick look worse for JRob. Yet, the coaches seem totally fine moving on. 

It's just not very smart for the Titans to offer top dollar for someone who is suspect as a pass blocker.  I'd rather them take a bit of a hit in the run blocking department and improve in pass protection (via a high draft pick, Kelly is AWFUL at pass protection as well).

Edited by rns90

1 hour ago, cenj said:

This is untrue for the most part. Conklin had some help his first year, but came into his own his second year late in the season as he was putting up stellar games until the knee injury. Last year was a lost year because they rushed him back too soon. Again, Conklin got going late this season and was killing it. 

I guess you can ding Robinson for drafting Conklin and not resigning him but at the time, the views on Lewan being a knucklehead were high and Conklin was insurance. Only so many guys you can pay big money on the OL. If Robinson wants to trade up every 4 years for a plug in RT in the first then I’m all for that strategy. 

I think it's a no-brainer to sign/keep Conklin.  He's 25, proven in the scheme, and Tackles can play at a high level into the 30's.  In terms of OL spend, I'd ride with the bookend Tackles and look to Saffold as the odd man out a couple of years down the road.

Everyone is gushing about how Conklin is going to blow up in FA

2 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Everyone is gushing about how Conklin is going to blow up in FA

Its not crazy to suggest Conklin is one of the most coveted FA this offseason at any position, young good OT very rarely make it to FA.

There has been speculation already linking him to a tonne of teams this offseason (Browns/Dolphins/Jets/Giants/Cardinals/Bucs)

17 hours ago, TeamRamrod said:

I wouldn’t put much faith in what the rest of the NFL thinks. A lot of organizations have no idea how to identify offensive linemen. That coupled with how poor the quality is across the league, you see teams spend a lot to throw darts. 

DJ Humphries just got $15 mil a year  because they can’t afford to let even him walk. Nate Solder was the highest paid offensive lineman in the league two years ago. 

I don’t think anyone sensible would argue that Conklin isn’t a decent player in the current market. It’s just a shaky situation when you have to make a guy one of the highest paid offensive linemen in the league when you also have a lot of other big decisions to make at the same time. I wasn’t huge on Conklin coming out and he hasn’t surpassed my expectations too much so maybe that’s affecting how I feel about him as a player though.

You pay these guys BECAUSE YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO LET THEM WALK.  Which translates to THEY AREN'T EASY TO REPLACE.

You see there are a couple real simple things here that apparently get missed.  One, ya think JRob saw this coming when nhe paid Lewan?

Of course he did.  So it comes down to how much you value a RT and how much you really believe Conklin is worth.

If JRob thinks he can just insert Germain Ifedi in there and get adequate pay ......  decision made.

But remember this is the same GM who chose Conklin early in the draft after trading up to get him.

That tells me a bunch about how JRob values the RT spot as much as how much he values Conk. 

Also, no matter what fantasy land or drugs someone takes the facts are that Conklin is one of the top RTs in the NFL.