Question for the lawyers

MamlngEnvy

About a year ago, a person with an empty building lent me 80k to build a restaurant in there. The plan basically was id pay him back as much as i could each month. Our agreement waS  after paid off id sign a 5 year lease. 

I have paid about 40k, and he sold the building. I signed an estoppel that just mentioned a rent paymmemt and nothing else to the new landlord, with my 5 year lease starting now. 

The original investor/landlord came in wished me luck and said his goodbyes. 

The new landlord came in and gave me an address to pay rent and didn't mention anything about the 40k I still owed. 

Should the estoppel of mentioned the transfer of the 40k debt?  My building is a small piece if a pretty big complex that waS sold in its entirety. 

I feel like I got let off the hook for a big chunk of cash.

37 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

The old owner probably made more than enough money by selling the building to not give a shit about your 40k. Definitely discuss with a lawyer. 

Or maybe do the right thing and discuss it with the guy who lent the money.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:54 AM, abenjami said:

Or maybe do the right thing and discuss it with the guy who lent the money.

I have tried. when I asked him what it means for our deal when he told me he sold it he just, like, chuckled. then I sent him an email cause I had a scheduled check to drop off asking if the checks need to be made to a new name Or to him personally and never got an answer just a contact list for the new owners saying any repairs or anything can go to the new owners (seemed like the list they likely sent to all tenants.) 

ive met the new owners twice and didn’t mention anything other than where to drop off rent checks or who to call for repairs.

Edited by SNAPHISANKLE

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the note. Just send me the money and nobody gets hurt. 

Honestly, jokes aside, is Nashville really balling that hard that people are casually throwing around 80k loans and not asking for documentation? Have you not seen any paperwork?

Do you know anyone who would give me a verbal signature loan for 80k?

I am once again asking for your financial support.

Edited by SleepingTitan

On 1/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, SNAPHISANKLE said:

About a year ago, a person with an empty building lent me 80k to build a restaurant in there. The plan basically was id pay him back as much as i could each month. Our agreement waS  after paid off id sign a 5 year lease. 

I have paid about 40k, and he sold the building. I signed an estoppel that just mentioned a rent paymmemt and nothing else to the new landlord, with my 5 year lease starting now. 

The original investor/landlord came in wished me luck and said his goodbyes. 

The new landlord came in and gave me an address to pay rent and didn't mention anything about the 40k I still owed. 

Should the estoppel of mentioned the transfer of the 40k debt?  My building is a small piece if a pretty big complex that waS sold in its entirety. 

I feel like I got let off the hook for a big chunk of cash.

Looking at this a little further, it looks like you just went halfsies on renovating an empty building that someone else sold. The only way you win is if you hold onto your lease or turn a good profit from your restaurant.