Nickel DBs in the Draft

Jonboy

12 hours ago, reo said:

Butler can't have that much longer. Draft an outside guy and let him compete imo. Then if the rookie looks good, Butler can compete for the slot w/ Hooker and whoever. 

Butler was a top 15 corner last year before the injury. He isn’t a shutdown guy, but he is excellent against bigger, athletic WR’s. He’ll be here for the next two years and could possibly be extended short term next year. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This list could be helpful should the Titans let Logan Ryan walk.    

My face as I scan that list:  

I agree.  It's a lot easier to find a good CB late 1st round than EDGE rusher.  Just looking at past drafts it's been done, Tredavious White, Xavier Rhodes, Byron Jones, Xavien Howard have all gone in

15 hours ago, Thrill said:

Ive watched a little bit of film on Damon Arnette. He kind of reminds me of a taller more raw Pac-Man. He’s listed at 6’0 and is expect to run around a 4.4 forty.

He was the second cornerback on the Ohio State team behind Okudah. Okudah is projected to be a top 15 pick.

Arnette has quick hips and mirroring ability but seemed to get muscled from time to time by some bigger receivers. However, he held his own on an island for most of the Clemson game. If you watch the film most of the targets were actually to Okudah’s side of the field. He seems like he could have some upside for us. On the other hand,  CJ Henderson from Florida and Trevon Diggs from Bama have better size and strength. 

I think we will end up selecting one of these guys. Just depends on if JRob is more worried about stopping the speedsters or the bigger Mike Evans type of guys.

As an Ohio state fan, I disagree that he got “muscled”. There might have been a few times where guys caught balls, but that is going to happen. Arnette is also very physical and not afraid to tackle which would fit our style. 

5 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Butler was a top 15 corner last year before the injury. He isn’t a shutdown guy, but he is excellent against bigger, athletic WR’s. He’ll be here for the next two years and could possibly be extended short term next year. 

I'm actually fine with him for a bit 

4 hours ago, AC104 said:

As an Ohio state fan, I disagree that he got “muscled”. There might have been a few times where guys caught balls, but that is going to happen. Arnette is also very physical and not afraid to tackle which would fit our style. 

Yeah I don’t think he got out physical-ed much. But his small stature was exploited once or twice against Higgins. But yes I think he’d fit in perfectly with his aggression and somewhat ballhawky-ness. 

18 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

There are some character concerns surrounding Arnette.

What? I couldn’t find anything. Looked like he was going to go pro but went back to get better. Also was a 3 star recruit which is something JRob would love.

32 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Butler has an out in his contract after 2020 so a decision will need to be made.  We can keep him another 2 years at $11 a year.  OF course you can always get out before the last year easily.  His contract goes through 2022.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/malcolm-butler-15769/

Not sure we beat the Chiefs with Butler out there but all it takes is for us to knock a pass down or something to stop a drive.  

Butler and Jackson are not chicken crap when both are healthy.  In hindsight I would have cared less about giving up an occasional big play and taken more chances.

We let them control the ball and keep our offense off the field.  So not only did they score almost every time they had the ball our offense didn't get enough opportunities.

That meant Henry was a non factor.  Next time I'd man up more and send a few extra rushers.  

I agree. We were putting a ton of responsibility on Vacarro and Trumaine Brock in the chiefs game. With a healthy Butler you can pretty much take all of their Sammy Watkins type of guys out of the game. Then it just leaves Adoree with help over the top on hill and byard with help on Kelce. We may not have won but it would’ve been closer.

Amani Hooker could become pretty invaluable if he can learn to cover man competently. Not many safeties can actually do that but I’ve heard tons of reports saying he did in college.

6 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Butler has an out in his contract after 2020 so a decision will need to be made.  We can keep him another 2 years at $11 a year.  OF course you can always get out before the last year easily.  His contract goes through 2022.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/malcolm-butler-15769/

Not sure we beat the Chiefs with Butler out there but all it takes is for us to knock a pass down or something to stop a drive.  

Butler and Jackson are not chicken crap when both are healthy.  In hindsight I would have cared less about giving up an occasional big play and taken more chances.

We let them control the ball and keep our offense off the field.  So not only did they score almost every time they had the ball our offense didn't get enough opportunities.

That meant Henry was a non factor.  Next time I'd man up more and send a few extra rushers.  

I don’t think we win if Butler plays, but he certainly would have let us be more aggressive outside. He also would have murdered Mahomes on the scramble TD at the  end of the half, setting up a goalline situation instead of an easy TD. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

What about Antoine Winfield Jr? He should be able to play safety and the Nb spot. He should be available mid rounds. Hes good at tackling and creating turnovers. Just has some durability issues. Broke Int record at Minnesota. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:24 AM, Thrill said:

Yeah I don’t think he got out physical-ed much. But his small stature was exploited once or twice against Higgins. But yes I think he’d fit in perfectly with his aggression and somewhat ballhawky-ness. 

I would like Arnette because I think he was severely underrated because he played with Okudah, but he didn’t play much in the slot at OSU. Okudah and Arnette we’re outside and wade was the nickel/slot cb almost all of the time. 

• 2 weeks later...