New Secondary Coach Anthony Midget

Titanstattoo25

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought our ball boy John Bartlett got a promotion at first. 

I hear he's a giant in the coaching profession.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

How do you feel about him? I wouldn’t be thrilled with that, tbh.

I honestly think it's the best possible choice. Continuity is so important in terms of scheme, and need someone who will be subservient to Vrabel defensively and not cause any issues in that regard. 

When Pees had that health scare a year plus back, I went and did a ton of research on Bowen - read every article about him dating back to his college days and watched every interview. Very impressive and smart coach. 

There's no one better to follow in Pees' footsteps than the guy who was shadowing him for 2 years and Vrabel for several years prior. Bowen was literally sitting right next to Pees in the booth for every single play he's ever called as Titans DC. 

Edited by tgo

10 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Was it Bowen calling the defense that day Pees ended up in Hospital or was it Vrabel, whoever it was led a disorganized rabble that day.

I thought it was Vrabel, but who knows really. It looked like Vrabel was calling the plays to me at the time. 

17 minutes ago, tgo said:

I honestly think it's the best possible choice. Continuity is so important in terms of scheme, and need someone who will be subservient to Vrabel defensively and not cause any issues in that regard. 

When Pees had that health scare a year plus back, I went and did a ton of research on Bowen - read every article about him dating back to his college days and watched every interview. Very impressive and smart coach. 

There's no one better to follow in Pees' footsteps than the guy who was shadowing him for 2 years and Vrabel for several years prior. Bowen was literally sitting right next to Pees in the booth for every single play he's ever called as Titans DC. 

I agree with this.  If the guy is up to doing the job, I think someone continuing the Pees system is ideal.

2 hours ago, tgo said:

I wouldn't hate it, but I just think I'd like to see a little more experience at that coaching spot for a team that's largely ready to win now. We can't afford any major growing pains to start the season next year. We saw how it nearly killed the playoff chances of what ended up being a championship caliber team this year with Mariota.

I'd almost prefer someone like Wade Phillips who really knows the league and has had a lot of success (at least early on) everywhere he's been. Sure, he wouldn't be here for the long-term, but now that we know what this group is capable of, Robinson should go all out these next 2-3 years to try and win a title. Bettcher wouldn't be bad either.

I also think it's doubtful anyone would be able to come in and execute Pees' system as well as Pees himself. Cossell talked about how he's been able to hide a lot of our deficiencies on defense during his time here. 

9 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I wouldn't hate it, but I just think I'd like to see a little more experience at that coaching spot for a team that's largely ready to win now. We can't afford any major growing pains to start the season next year. We saw how it nearly killed the playoff chances of what ended up being a championship caliber team this year with Mariota.

I'd almost prefer someone like Wade Phillips who really knows the league and has had a lot of success (at least early on) everywhere he's been. Sure, he wouldn't be here for the long-term, but now that we know what this group is capable of, Robinson should go all out these next 2-3 years to try and win a title. Bettcher wouldn't be bad either.

I also think it's doubtful anyone would be able to come in and execute Pees' system as well as Pees himself. Cossell talked about how he's been able to hide a lot of our deficiencies on defense during his time here. 

The thing is that Vrabel’s system is Pees system and Romeo Crennel’s system

If Phillips came in, he’d be forced to run Vrabel’s system. Which is vastly different philosophically. Vrabel believes in two gapping and Wade Phillips is a gap shooter. 

To me, that’s a bigger distinction than

3-4 vs 4-3. 

For instance, Vrabel’s 3-4 is more similar to Ron Rivera’s 4-3 than it is to Wade Phillips’ 3-4 overall. 

I think Jim Haslett or Ray Horton (unlikely of course) would be less philosophically divergent from Vrabel than Phillips or Bettcher. 

Edited by tgo