Makaveli

Kevin Byard best safety we ever had??

Stats rarely tell the whole story for DBs, IMO.

I remember when Nnamdi Asomugha was widely regarded as a premiere shutdown corner despite having only 1-2 INTs.   He didn't put up stats because  opposing QBs wouldn't throw to his area of the field.

I also remember a DB who led the league with 8-10 INTs and a bunch of PDs one year and people assumed he was awesome....until someone dug a bit deeper and discovered that he also gave up a bunch of TDs and big plays.   He put up numbers because QBs weren't afraid to throw at him.

Personally, I don't see Byard as an ultra-elite Reed/Polamalu type....but he's a very versatile, well-rounded safety with a great nose for the ball.   He isn't a shutdown guy, but he forces opposing QBs to be damn near perfect with very little margin for error;  if a throw is even slightly off the mark, Byard is all over it.

6 hours ago, Doogie said:

I think hes living up to his contract for the most part. Obviously would love Ed Reed type play but it's not like hes flopped once he got paid. 

We have seen guys time and time again flop and play like shit after a big payday. I dont think Byard has done that in the least. 

I was being completely sarcastic btw

23 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Who the fuck cares about the top 100? That's like saying someone making the pro bowl as a reserve makes him special. 

Mariota was ranked 50th on that list. Thank god we didnt pay him top QB money off his one good year like another player we know.....

You pay players good money to stay, he'd have gotten that money elsewhere.

It's not complicated

24 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

You pay players good money to stay, he'd have gotten that money elsewhere.

It's not complicated

So overpaying because someone else would have makes it the right move? I guess the Patriots been doing it wrong this entire time....

9 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

So overpaying because someone else would have makes it the right move? I guess the Patriots been doing it wrong this entire time....

So give me an alternative to not paying him, you think our team is worse because he is on our payroll?

What's an actual alternative to us having a better team without Byard than with him

41 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

So give me an alternative to not paying him, you think our team is worse because he is on our payroll?

We already had him on contract this year. He is making 14 a year starting next year. The franchise tag for a safety this year will be around 12. Let's say at worst it saved us 1.5. And allowed us another 2 years to see if a long term deal was right....always leaving yourself with options is the best alternative. 

Outside of RB and Henry, he would have been the cheapest of our FAs to franchise. As far as last year, chances are we wouldn't have been better off. Especially given the injuries we had. But if he plays as suspect in 2020 as in 2019, you watch there be rumors about trading him or choosing that opt out that's in place....

What's an actual alternative to us having a better team without Byard than with him

As I said above, it would be hard to say we would have been better in 2019. My case would be better arguing that it would have been a better decision with the future of the team in mind. Because if he was overpaid, this hurts over time far more than just one year..... But there had to be options. What if they traded him?

You said there were teams that would have paid that, right? He's super young still. What if we could have stolen a first rounder for him? Drafted him in the 3rd, flipped him for a 1st and saved payroll. It's all hypothetical of course, but wouldn't that have sounded better to you? 

What if the money saved, put us in a better position to retain all of our key FAs? Henry, Ryan, Conklin, Tannehill? Obviously, it would have, had that been the case. 

But who knows. It's hard to argue in hypotheticals. All I can say is I believe he was overpaid because when I watch him, I don't see consistently great play. All I have ever seen was flashes.

And if you look closely at his 2017 season. He had 9 of those 16 PDs in a 4 game span. Along with 5 of those 8 INTs in a two game span. Against QBs named Cody Kessler, DeShon Kizer, and Joe Flaccos declining ass. 

And quite honestly, I feel all I have been doing is defending my take when his play speaks for itself. Where was he late in the season when we needed plays? Why'd he have such a terrible game against Brees and the Saints? Are we really going to credit him with the INT off Lamar in the playoffs when it was such a terrible throw that floated right into his lap? Is that playmaking? Hooker would have made that play...no problem. 

Maybe ppl should start giving reasons as to why he was worth that much. Is "because another team would have" the best we got?

Edited by JakePA_Titan

Byard hasn't been around long enough to be considered the best safety yet. He could end up as the best if he keeps it up though. But there are some good safeties that have played over the years. Honestly I don't think Byard has even passed Griffin yet. He is better at coverage but Griffin piled up a lot more tackles. Its hard to really evaluate Griffin as well considering he played for some absolutely terrible teams during his prime years.