Guts

Ian Rapoport hints that Derrick Henry deal hinges on Ryan Tannehill

5 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Conklin can be a pro bowl caliber guy for the next 7-8 years. He is also insurance if we lose Lewan after 2023 because he can play LT. I would offer Conklin a 7 year deal. 

There is zero chance Conklin can be a LT. He's terrible in pass protection and consistently needs a lot of help -- when he doesn't get it, he's burned badly. 

Conklin is a road grading RT, and not even a dominant one at that. I think he's a worse version of David Stewart. He does fit the system with Henry as lead back, and Conklin works well in unison with the rest of the line. 

7 hours ago, Rolltide said:

You can't trade a guy you just tagged. Nobody wants a guy who has no contract. 

Happens all the time.  Obviously we won't get two first round picks for him but we could get something of value.

1 hour ago, cenj said:

There is zero chance Conklin can be a LT. He's terrible in pass protection and consistently needs a lot of help -- when he doesn't get it, he's burned badly. 

Conklin is a road grading RT, and not even a dominant one at that. I think he's a worse version of David Stewart. He does fit the system with Henry as lead back, and Conklin works well in unison with the rest of the line. 

You are half right but saying he is terrible is over the top.  Yea, he is about 40th ranked as a pass blocker (9th ranked overall).  He is a much better run blocker.

But 40th includes all OTs, LTs included.  For a RT in other words he isn't that bad.  So assuming he couldn't play LT IF WE HAD AN INJURY isn't far fetched at all.  How do you think backup LTs rank?

Conklin is comparable to Kelly in pass blocking and way better than Kelly in run blocking.   Look at Lane Johnson who is a highly rated OT overall.  He also sucks in pass protection and is much better at run blocking.

Then you have LTs that suck at run blocking (Matthews) but excel at pass. 

8 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Amazing that me the Bama guy is the only one who is logical regarding Henry. 

Elliott got a 6 year $90M deal but he does not turn 25 until July. Henry is already 26. Interesting there is a year and a half age difference between 2 guys who graduated high school the same year and were drafted the same year. 

Remember also that Henry averaged 349 carries a season in high school. He had 462 carries as a senior! 

He was also going up against 130 lb DL in HS. Those carries might as well have been against air. 

Tagging a RB twice before moving on isn't the worst idea in terms of getting use and avoiding a long term commitment ... if that's the goal ... and if you don't think a hold out is the response.

I would guarantee to Henry that we will only tag him for one season if he agrees to it. That way he plays and will be supremely motivated to have a great year. We can draft another RB where we see value and it gives us a year to weigh our options. The top 2 backs in 2021 will be Etienne and Najee Harris. We might be able to get a guy like Eno Benjamin in the third rd in this year's draft. 

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

He was also going up against 130 lb DL in HS. Those carries might as well have been against air. 

What high school has 130 lbs guys? 

On 1/26/2020 at 6:19 AM, oldschool said:

Franchising Henry sounds like a horrible idea. 

Transition tag lets us make him an offer after he tests the market. It seems to me that would be a good option. That would pay him $10,000-$12,000 for next year and we’d get another year out of him. I’m sure he probably wouldn’t be very happy about it though.

Save the franchise tag as a back up

plan if they can’t agree on a long term deal with Tannehill. Franchise rage would be around $25,000 for Tannehill.

3 hours ago, freakingeek said:

Transition tag lets us make him an offer after he tests the market. It seems to me that would be a good option. That would pay him $10,000-$12,000 for next year and we’d get another year out of him. I’m sure he probably wouldn’t be very happy about it though.

Save the franchise tag as a back up

plan if they can’t agree on a long term deal with Tannehill. Franchise rage would be around $25,000 for Tannehill.

The transition tag allows us to match his best offer or lose him. If somebody offers him a 6 year $90M deal and we do not match that he goes to that team. 

So how do you get the idea we would get another year out of him? He would be gone!

Another option would be to suggest to Henry's agent that we would be willing to do a one year $15M($5M SB,$10M salary) deal instead of tagging him with the promise we would not use the tag for 2021. That gives him more money. It gives him a nice chunk up front which is the main objection to being tagged. 

Tannehill is not some great QB --- would be nice to sign him to a moderate contract. Henry got a lot of carries this year --- I'd try to sign him to a 3-4 year deal or franchise him for 1 year. Personally, I've been really impressed with the Memphis running back Gibson this year + at Senior Bowl. Seems like a nice contrast backup to Henry and an interesting 3rd down back. I would guess Gibson's a third-fourth round guy. Was interesting that Scott Wright has him listed as the #18 WR 6'06" 221 4.48/40 that surprised me.

2 hours ago, Big2033MariotaLover said:

@big2033 do your thing Dad!

He’s not some great QB. It would be nice to sign him to a moderate contract. What’s the problem lol? 

35 minutes ago, big2033 said:

He’s not some great QB. It would be nice to sign him to a moderate contract. What’s the problem lol? 

Before is was FMV, now it's a moderate contract?  What's your alternative if we can't get a moderate contract? Your willing to pay a premium for a "not so great Quarterback"? So the dance begins...

Edited by Big2033MariotaLover

2 hours ago, Big2033MariotaLover said:

Before is was FMV, now it's a moderate contract?  What's your alternative if we can't get a moderate contract? Your willing to pay a premium for a "not so great Quarterback"? So the dance begins...

I'm not going to tell you my alternative because you will just attack him.  Rinse and repeat...……...