Thoughts?

I really want him, even though I know he'll command about 20 million. His run defense is exceptional which fits into what we do here, while still being a dynamic pass rusher. The injury concerns are very relevant, and he's never broken double digit sacks (which i think he would do here immidately) his win rates against double teams are elite and his presence alone would create 10+ sacks for Casey/Simmons/Landry.

EJrwiqyW4AEbaLU?format=jpg&name=large

He would be a game changer for our defense

11 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

Not happening. We won't have enough cap space to pay a RT, Derrick Henry and a premier pass rusher in one off season.

Cut Walker, Wake, Lewis, Succop now you have ~77m in cap space.

Henry 5y/75m

Tanny Tag. 27M

Resign Kelly, Firkser, Correa, cheap

Get Clowney 5y/100m

Draft a RT in R1

Edited by stormi

5 minutes ago, stormi said:

Cut Walker, Wake, Lewis, Succop now you have ~77m in cap space.

Henry 5y/75m

Tanny Tag. 27M

Resign Kelly, Firkser, Correa, cheap

Get Clowney 5y/100m

Draft a RT in R1

77 - 15 - 27 - 20 = 15

About 5 mil is going to the rookie Pool leaving 10 mil, and we have 20+ free agents this year. Do you plan on filling the rest of the roster with vet minimum type players and undrafted rookies?

Edited by Tomachek

29 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

77 - 15 - 27 - 20 = 15

About 5 mil is going to the rookie Pool leaving 10 mil, and we have 20+ free agents this year. Do you plan on filling the rest of the roster with vet minimum type players and undrafted rookies?

Not that I want to get into this again but. If the contracts are back loaded even slightly we have 20-25mil left.

Like you said 5 for rooks. And most of the players we would want to keep are small contracts. We also tend to pick up 2 or 3 udfa players a year which cost nothing as far as the cap goes.

Edit: idk how this plays out but I trust in jrob. He has made a bad pick or 2 and some questionable choices as well. But his ability to nail late round picks and udfa for depth is insane as far as I can tell.

Edited by Callidus

3 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Not that I want to get into this again but. If the contracts are back loaded even slightly we have 20-25mil left.

Like you said 5 for rooks. And most of the players we would want to keep are small contracts. We also tend to pick up 2 or 3 udfa players a year which cost nothing as far as the cap goes.

Edit: idk how this plays out but I trust in jrob. He has made a bad pick or 2 and some questionable choices as well. But his ability to nail late round picks and udfa for depth is insane as far as I can tell.

Back loading only creates problems in future years, unless your assuming you can restructure down the road which isn't always the case.

4 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

Back loading only creates problems in future years, unless your assuming you can restructure down the road which isn't always the case.

Back and front loading have a purpose. If you have a window now. You back load. Especially if you think you can drafr well. If you have a ton of cap you front load and hope the player doesn't cry as their salary drops and asks for a new deal. Back loading is the king of incentive deal.

23 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Back and front loading have a purpose. If you have a window now. You back load. Especially if you think you can drafr well. If you have a ton of cap you front load and hope the player doesn't cry as their salary drops and asks for a new deal. Back loading is the king of incentive deal.

It's more complicated then staying you'll just back load every contract, eventually it will catch up with you.

9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The salary cap is a non issue in the current NFL. You don't see teams get cap strapped anymore. Teams have it figured out

Robinson is going to be able to sign players without concern for the cap space

Vikings have $(10,000,00) in cap space. Jaguars have $(2,000,000)  Three other teams have under $10,000,000.

Yet teams aren't strap in this day and age. 

Clowney is a very good (but not quite great) player who will demand elite money.  He probably expects to be the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL...and he might just get it.

He’s a very good player who will almost certainly make the defense better wherever he goes...and if JRob were to bring him in, I’d welcome him with open arms.  But wherever he ends up, I suspect his salary will be far greater than his actual impact.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

The salary cap is a non issue in the current NFL. You don't see teams get cap strapped anymore. Teams have it figured out

Robinson is going to be able to sign players without concern for the cap space

I understand your point bit they can't sign everyone. They're not signing Tannehill, Henry, Conklin, Ryan, Corey Davis, Jackson, Brown and Jonnu Smith plus guys like Clowney in the next year or so

2 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

The cap issues arise when Jackson, Brown and Jonnu are all up for contracts next year. They need to save space for that

You sacrifice any one or maybe two of those guys for a premiere edge eusher.