16 hours ago, Jonboy said:

PK, Davenport, and others in the media have maintained for a while now that Conklin is highly likely to be playing for a team other than Tennessee in 2020.

Is Conklin coming off his best season?  Wasn't he all pro as a rookie?

3 hours ago, Little Earl said:

He was, but most consider it to be a little artificial because the Titans gave him help often his first year.

Really don't want to just let Conklin walk just to have to draft one in the 1st....

maybe they'll sign a FA if he walks.

I'm not saying he is a replacement but I would like us to try and keep Kevin Pamphile around for another year. He is a very athletic 6'5 315 lb guy who can play guard and RT. He ran a sub 5.00 40 at the combine. He could replace Kelly as that heavy TE. 

1 hour ago, Little Earl said:

I thought that was his best year. Conklin struggled early this year. 

Note that a lot of the top tackles in this draft are from the SEC. In order.. Wills is a no brain pick if he falls to us in rd 2 because all he played at Bama was right tackle. He is a RT type of guy a mauler who can also pass protect. Wilson out of Georgia is a true RT prospect. 340 lbs. 

1. Wills Alabama...Rd 1-2

2. Thomas Georgia Rd 1-2

3. Wanagho Auburn rd 3

4. Wilson Georgia rd 2-3

5. Charles LSU rd 3-4

6. Durant Mizzu rd 4-5

The entire OL struggled early this year because the QB was awful, which made defending the offense much easier.  At least 50% of the sacks were on Mariota not throwing it when he was supposed to.

Hard to pass up signing a quality trench guy who plays a critical position for the next 6 years.  Look at finding a replacement for Saffold after next year (average salary $11 mil with an out after 2020) so we can drop his salary. 

We could also find a C/OG in the middle rounds to back up both spots and eventually start at either.   Guys that require a pick in the first two rounds are worth signing long term. 

Guys we can replace with mid round picks are more expendable.  Also gives us a year to groom the guy.

I personally think he is overrated and not worth signing long-term, but there is another option that goes with the franchise tag. We could franchise him and then draft another RT in the mid rounds. We are going to need a swing tackle either way, so you could start Conklin for 1 more year while developing his replacement (who ideally becomes the new swing tackle and won't be starting day 1 as a rookie).

Conklin is pretty terrible in straight up pass protection, and I think he's grossly overrated in run blocking considering he was the #10 overall pick. Good, but not top 5 RT money good.  If we draft a replacement tackle early (1st/2nd), I really hope we get someone who is better at pass blocking.

Edited by cenj

6 hours ago, cenj said:

I personally think he is overrated and not worth signing long-term, but there is another option that goes with the franchise tag. We could franchise him and then draft another RT in the mid rounds. We are going to need a swing tackle either way, so you could start Conklin for 1 more year while developing his replacement (who ideally becomes the new swing tackle and won't be starting day 1 as a rookie).

Conklin is pretty terrible in straight up pass protection, and I think he's grossly overrated in run blocking considering he was the #10 overall pick. Good, but not top 5 RT money good.  If we draft a replacement tackle early (1st/2nd), I really hope we get someone who is better at pass blocking.

This plan is fine but it would be a mistake to go into the draft needing a starting RT. 

The funny thing about reading all these "solutions" is that most have been tried by us already. I call it the "Just Do This Syndrome."

Going into the draft needing a RT is how we ended up over-paying for Conklin. 

50 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This plan is fine but it would be a mistake to go into the draft needing a starting RT. 

There seem to be about 4 RTs who would fit late in the 1st or early in the 2nd and could be slated to start right away. It wouldn’t be ideal, but it isn’t insane.

Edited by Starkiller

JRob has to consider what percentage of the cap should go to the oline, including starters and depth.. and how does he get an oline that can pass block better.. this will be a stepwise process but one option might be to trade Corey Davis for a rt starter, and draft a developmental player at both center and at tackle..