Potential Conklin Replacements

Jonboy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised at how many here want to kick Conklin out the door so quickly, there would be a heap of teams that would sign him in a heartbeat if he hit FA.

I think the odds are pretty good that they are going to use their top draft pick on a new starting RT. It seems like there are plenty of options.   Honestly, any veteran RT they sign to repl

What does it matter how much it is? The Titans are in win the SB mode right now. You have two tags a lot of cap space. It's one less need you have to worry about if you franchise tag Conklin. If they

I personally think he is overrated and not worth signing long-term, but there is another option that goes with the franchise tag. We could franchise him and then draft another RT in the mid rounds. We are going to need a swing tackle either way, so you could start Conklin for 1 more year while developing his replacement (who ideally becomes the new swing tackle and won't be starting day 1 as a rookie).

Conklin is pretty terrible in straight up pass protection, and I think he's grossly overrated in run blocking considering he was the #10 overall pick. Good, but not top 5 RT money good.  If we draft a replacement tackle early (1st/2nd), I really hope we get someone who is better at pass blocking.

Edited by cenj

6 hours ago, cenj said:

I personally think he is overrated and not worth signing long-term, but there is another option that goes with the franchise tag. We could franchise him and then draft another RT in the mid rounds. We are going to need a swing tackle either way, so you could start Conklin for 1 more year while developing his replacement (who ideally becomes the new swing tackle and won't be starting day 1 as a rookie).

Conklin is pretty terrible in straight up pass protection, and I think he's grossly overrated in run blocking considering he was the #10 overall pick. Good, but not top 5 RT money good.  If we draft a replacement tackle early (1st/2nd), I really hope we get someone who is better at pass blocking.

This plan is fine but it would be a mistake to go into the draft needing a starting RT. 

50 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This plan is fine but it would be a mistake to go into the draft needing a starting RT. 

There seem to be about 4 RTs who would fit late in the 1st or early in the 2nd and could be slated to start right away. It wouldn’t be ideal, but it isn’t insane.

Edited by Starkiller

JRob has to consider what percentage of the cap should go to the oline, including starters and depth.. and how does he get an oline that can pass block better.. this will be a stepwise process but one option might be to trade Corey Davis for a rt starter, and draft a developmental player at both center and at tackle.. 

1 hour ago, Callidus said:

I think our draft has to be edge/cb in the 1st and 2nd and rb in the 3rd unless someone special drops in the first 2 rounds.

Edge or OT. This cb class is unspectacular, unless there's a guy that Jrob adores... The great thing is our scouting team is awesome, and are also really good at identifying who they want and trading up to secure them.

14 minutes ago, stormi said:

Edge or OT. This cb class is unspectacular, unless there's a guy that Jrob adores... The great thing is our scouting team is awesome, and are also really good at identifying who they want and trading up to secure them.

I should have mentioned I expect us to resign tanny henry and conk. With ryan gone I assumed the draft would go edge, cb, rb, then depth and maybe  kicker. Like I said before not signing conk would change this.

But with the limited look at the draft candidates that I have seen who we have a chance 2 draft. I like Curtis Weaver, Najee Harris and anyone that can play nickleback. i know we have Amani but idk if he can play it full time.

Forgive me if I sound like a moron, I do not watch almost any ncaa any more. So this is on limited tape and judging players outside the top 3-5 at any position because of our draft slot.

2 minutes ago, Callidus said:

I should have mentioned I expect us to resign tanny henry and conk. With ryan gone I assumed the draft would go edge, cb, rb, then depth and maybe  kicker. Like I said before not signing conk would change this.

But with the limited look at the draft candidates that I have seen who we have a chance 2 draft. I like Curtis Weaver, Najee Harris and anyone that can play nickleback. i know we have Amani but idk if he can play it full time.

Forgive me if I sound like a moron, I do not watch almost any ncaa any more. So this is on limited tape and judging players outside the top 3-5 at any position because of our draft slot.

Theirs a few decent NB available in free agency this year, could potentially snag one at a lower rate then Logan Ryan. It would give us a little bit more flexibility come draft time.

Another factor in this is Conklin and Kelly are both free agents. The Titans not only need a RT they need a swing OT. 

Using the franchise tag on Conklin would actually give them the ability to draft a swing OT for 2020 that could also replace Conklin after the 2020 season.