Potential Conklin Replacements

Jonboy

PK, Davenport, and others in the media have maintained for a while now that Conklin is highly likely to be playing for a team other than Tennessee in 2020.

It's starting to feel that way to me as well. Of course, this leaves a massive opening at a key starting position along our offensive line. 

So who would you all like to see as potential replacements? Here are a few names to get us started.

Dennis Kelly (Titans)

This one should be the absolute floor. Kelly is a great backup OL, but struggled during his time as a starter at LT. He's more serviceable at RT, but still probably not a quality long-term option. He would also need a new contract, but should come much cheaper than Conklin. 

Bryan Bulaga (Packers)

Bulaga is 31 and has already had one big payday. This could be his last chance to score another long-term deal. Most consider him to still be one of the better RTs in the game; however, he has a lengthy injury history. If the Titans are willing to pay up for Bulaga then it probably makes more sense to just pay Conklin instead. Most sites seem to have Conklin rated as a notch above Bulaga, but that's mostly due to the age difference and injury history. 

Halapoulivaati Vaitai (Eagles)

Vaitai is only 27 and performed admirably over the years filling-in for Lane Johnson. He has started 20 games during his 4-yr career in Philly. Vaitai could be seen as a potential "good value" signing with a bit of upside as well. 

Demar Dotson (Bucs)

If the Titans prefer the cheaper veteran route, Dotson would be a potential candidate. He's serviceable and has been a starter since 2012. Throughout that time though, he's missed significant time over the years and has started 16 games only twice.

Mike Remmers (Giants)

Remmers is another vet with experience, but we're well into the "Dennis Kelly" level of experience by this point. If we're having to look at a guy like Remmers, we might as well just have Kelly and pair him with a draft pick. 

Draft pick

Should we lose Conklin, this one is almost a given regardless of who we sign. The only question is how soon. Picking so late this year, we can't go into the draft hoping to get our day 1 2020 starting RT. 

Personally I think a guy like Vaitai could be an interesting option paired with a mid-round rookie. If we can get Kelly on a team friendly deal then perhaps we could have Vaitai, Kelly, and a rookie since we know Kelly can play multiple spots.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised at how many here want to kick Conklin out the door so quickly, there would be a heap of teams that would sign him in a heartbeat if he hit FA.

I think the odds are pretty good that they are going to use their top draft pick on a new starting RT. It seems like there are plenty of options.   Honestly, any veteran RT they sign to repl

What does it matter how much it is? The Titans are in win the SB mode right now. You have two tags a lot of cap space. It's one less need you have to worry about if you franchise tag Conklin. If they

1 minute ago, Face said:

Jason Peters for a one year deal would be nice. He was still very good at LT last year.

I only looked at RTs, but older LTs potentially wanting to move over could be an option as well. 

6 minutes ago, Face said:

Jason Peters for a one year deal would be nice. He was still very good at LT last year.

Why would he leave Philadelphia to play RT?

He has just as good of a chance at a SB there as here. 

Future comp picks is something that may play into what JRob does with Conklin, there is little doubt someone is going to give Conklin a massive contract this offseason which in isolation is going to be enough to "earn" a 3rd round comp pick in the 2021 Draft, the problem with the comp pick formula though is it is worked out as an aggregate of FA signings/losses.

It would suck to lose Conklin and then go out and sign a big money FA and in the process cancelling out a possible 3rd round pick in 2021.

I wonder if JRob would consider tagging Conklin with the thought of trading him for a 3rd round pick in the 2020 Draft essentially bringing forward the potential comp pick from 2020.

I heard an experienced salary cap guy (missed his name) on the Zone this AM.  He said Kelly would have to be paid low end starter money at around 8M/yr.

Titans could end up needing 2 OTs. The team has 5 OL under contract not counting the practice squad guys.

Edited by ctm

Wouldn't be surprised with the combination of resigning Kelly, mid-round pick, and a cheap Vet.

We are getting to the point where we are going to unfortunately lose key veteran players. I think are roster is to the point where we try to maximize comp picks, while developing players in their rookie contracts.

7 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

I think Jrob is pretty confident in his ability to find a RT in the draft outside of the 1st round. 

The fact he spent a 1st/2nd/3rd round picks to get Conklin suggests he highly values the position, I don't think he would have any issue spending another premium pick to replace Conklin if he needs to.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

7 minutes ago, Makaveli said:

I know a couple years ago our line looked considerably better in pass blocking situations with Kelly in than it did with Conklin & running about the same. If they aren't pressing to resign Conklin they must not think to highly of his ability. JRob and Vrabel know something we don't. 

I'd much rather us use Kelly & Draft somebody and try to resign Derrick Henry and Tannehill.

There’s no reporting on whether or not they are trying to re-sign either Conklin or Ryan

Only speculation from people who are very often wrong about their speculations and are good reporters but poor prognosticators. 

Edited by tgo

5 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I'd franchise Conklin

For 16 M?  I think you try and extend him given his age and plan for replacing Saffold if need be in 2021 or 2022 when he's 33/34.  It's much easier to find a guard than a good RT IMO.