Fisher story on the MCM

BudsOilers

This is AWESOME!!!!      Say what you will about Jeff Fisher.....the guy is very charismatic and a tremendous storyteller.

I especially enjoyed the part at the very end.....I'd forgotten that the next year's season opener was at Buffalo.   Fisher trolling Bills fans by sending out his KO return team for team introductions.....classic!

4 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I bet Bud was kicking himself in the ass that he left before the play. I'm sure he heard the roar of the stadium on the way down though. Probably wondered if the elevator was falling.

IIRC a number of people missed that play because they assumed it was over.

17 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Fisher gets way too much grief.  He was a very good NFL coach for a long time.  He had his flaws but he's not nearly the moron some make him out to be.

I am surprised he never made the jump to TV - he has the personality for it.

He's definitely not a moron. He just got stuck at some point and didn't evolve, got more rigid and set in his ways, so the game passed him by. That being said, I also think Bud Adams being who he was didn't help the situation. Wasn't he considering firing Fisher if the 1999 season hadn't been the success it was? I think I remember reading at one point that he was fed up with the 8-8 shit. Not that he should have seen that as a failure. They were a bunch of nomads at the time in the move from Houston to Nashville with no one showing up to the games. The fact we had 3 straight non-losing season during that time was pretty amazing, imo.

1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

IIRC a number of people missed that play because they assumed it was over.

Yeah... but none of them were the owner of the team. He of all people should have known that no game is really over until the clock hits zero after the 93 meltdown against the Bills.

Yes Bud issued the playoffs or pinkslips message prior to 1999 as both Reese and Fisher's contracts were up.  Whether he meant it or not is a different story but the situation was pretty similar to the recent seasons.  Good, competitive team but they were struggling to make that next jump up.

50 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Fisher gets way too much grief.  He was a very good NFL coach for a long time.  He had his flaws but he's not nearly the moron some make him out to be.

I am surprised he never made the jump to TV - he has the personality for it.

As time goes on I think Fisher's a better coach than given credit for.  He needs to adapt but he's still a good game manager and motivator.  He's a better coach than many out there today.

Just now, scine09 said:

WTF Fisher?  A FG wouldn't have tied the game.  It was 16-15 at the time.

Yeah I laughed at that too.  It was 20 years ago of course.  Later on he pointed out that Dyson was supposed to go out of bounds so Del Greco could kick the FG. 

5 hours ago, titanruss said:

Almost the losing-ist coach in nfl history and he retired 2 decades early to save the embarrassment... such a PR move... such a Fisher weak-bitch move.  

He didn’t retire.  He got fired and his stock is so low that he’s unlikely to get hired again as a head coach.