The Never-ending Saga of Jadeveon Clowney

tgo

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take this for what it’s worth, when i broke the Lewan suspension hours and hours before any media members did - the same guy who slipped that to me just texted me and said that Clowney has already agr

Jurrell Casey died for this.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I’d love to have him and about going after him during the season, but I’ll play devil’s advocate here...

- Has never had a double digit sack season

- Has played all 16 games only once in his career 

I’d respond with - Our scheme doesn’t emphasize or care much about double digit sacks and places more emphasis on pressures and situational rushing. Pees, who is gone now obviously but shares the Belichick philosophy with Vrabel/Crennel, point blank said he doesnt care as much about sacks earlier this season. 

Re: injuries - touche and you have to be clear eyed about this going in and have a special management plan for this player, something Vrabel/Piraino/Toriscelli seem adept at doing for specific veteran players. 

Brian Bell is our assistant strength and conditioning coach who came over with Vrabel and trained with Clowney for most of his career in Houston. Vrabel and Bowen know the player well in this regard. 

I’ll also add that our pro scouting director Brian Gardner was on staff with Houston when Clowney was drafted. 

Edited by tgo

We need pass rush desperately and I don’t care where it comes from. Love Judon and Clowney. 

Someone with more knowledge of the cap than me, could we afford Tannehill, Henry, Judon/Clowney, and still bring Logan Ryan back? 

4 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

We need pass rush desperately and I don’t care where it comes from. Love Judon and Clowney. 

Someone with more knowledge of the cap than me, could we afford Tannehill, Henry, Judon/Clowney, and still bring Logan Ryan back? 

It’s possible but I doubt they’d push it that close. 

They have to at least try to sign him. Unless Vrabel doesn’t like him, anyway. Whoever signs him will have to overpay to get him, of course, but how else are they going to boost the pass rush? They aren’t likely getting a big passer they can count on at #29.

How about a nickel pass rush of Simmons, Casey, Landry, and Clowney?

2 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

They have to at least try to sign him. Unless Vrabel doesn’t like him, anyway. Whoever signs him will have to overpay to get him, of course, but how else are they going to boost the pass rush? They aren’t likely getting a big passer they can count on at #29.

Exactly. It’s the biggest need and I personally think there are only a handful of guys who’d even move the needle as far as pass rusher goes.  

6 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Vrabel calls him “JD” and was raving about how good and unique he is either last offseason or the year before in an interview. 

Edited by tgo

Found this re: Clowney - 

Conerning.

McClain writes:

“Clowney also didn’t want to play for new Dolphins coach Brian Flores, who left New England for Miami. Clowney wasn’t interested in playing for another Bill Belichick disciple after spending five years with O’Brien."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/jadeveon-clowney-nixed-dolphins-trade-avoid-playing-another-belichick-disciple

5 minutes ago, tgo said:

Conerning.

McClain writes:

“Clowney also didn’t want to play for new Dolphins coach Brian Flores, who left New England for Miami. Clowney wasn’t interested in playing for another Bill Belichick disciple after spending five years with O’Brien."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/jadeveon-clowney-nixed-dolphins-trade-avoid-playing-another-belichick-disciple

Vrabel is not from Belichick’s coaching tree.  He played in NE but he also played in KC and Pittsburgh.  

9 minutes ago, tgo said:

Conerning.

McClain writes:

Well he actually knows Vrabel, so he either likes him or he doesn’t.

25 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Well he actually knows Vrabel, so he either likes him or he doesn’t.

He gushes about Vrabel in the quotes I’ve seen. 

Quote from Clowney on Vrabel: “He might be the smartest coach I’ve ever had.”

Edited by tgo

23 minutes ago, tgo said:

He gushes about Vrabel in the quotes I’ve seen. 

Think he said Vrabel was the smartest coach he’s ever had in one interview I saw.

I don’t think Clowney would get 10 sacks if he played a whole season for us.

But I bet our unit as a whole would get 10+ sacks than it did without him. Simmons and Casey would get one on ones all day.

Edited by Thrill

• TitansGuru changed the title to The Never-ending Saga of Jadeveon Clowney
  • Jonboy locked this topic